AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pie in the sky , but I think it would be great to have a debate for display at stores showrooms and televised on the big stations ...

Have the facts all laid out , street prices , quality of upconversion , hd pq.

Plus the special features ....

Also the fact that studios can change their mind on a dime (750 million) or so..

could be in mags too ..

All the facts laid bare to prospective buyers ....

Bob

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Even with the writer's strike I don't think the TV stations are quite that desperate to fill air time.

For the tiny minority that care about the debate, all the information is already available... in many cases, memorized and/or tattooed on their chest.

Of course I'm pulling the numbers off the top of my head, but I'd guess 90% of consumers don't know about the debate and/or think DVDs themselves are HD, 5% know and don't care, 4% know and just care that it ends but don't care how, and 1% know and have picked a side.

I'm going to avoid controversy by avoiding all speculation over which format's share of the 1% who care is larger.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog57 /forum/post/12917627

Pie in the sky , but I think it would be great to have a debate for display at stores showrooms and televised on the big stations ...

Have the facts all laid out , street prices , quality of upconversion , hd pq.

Plus the special features ....

Also the fact that studios can change their mind on a dime (750 million) or so..

could be in mags too ..

All the facts laid bare to prospective buyers ....

Bob

Actually, the two formats have already had such debates for public display with representatives from vendors, studios, and retailers. I beleive Robert from Value Electronics who is a frequent poster and proponent for HD DVD participated in several of them.

·
Registered
962 Posts
"All facts laid bare" is something neither side would agree to. One of the reasons there's so much spin and BS is because the actual details of the business are not known to consumers. If studios took money or not, subsidies on players or duplication, margins, license fee distribution, guerrilla marketing and all sorts of other stuff that companies and associations involved either don't want people to know or that they're forbidden to because of legal contract.

Consumer electronics is not politics.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Business schools will be studying this and comparing this to the details of the betamax vs vhs. This is fairly certain, given there's not that many examples of direct competition of two business models that is as publicly discussed as this one. Business school texts love things like this as they get a chance to critique things from strategic blunders to marketing mistakes.

Some of the details, if not all, will not be available, but there will always be the urban legends revolving around some controlversial areas, including questions of whether money changed hands, whether studio(s) deliberately misled HD DVD group in order to plan this final coup de grace.

But such debate will be muted initially (until it's clear to everyone but a handful of people that it's completed) because from what I can tell, the bulk of BD insiders are essentially not that interested in talking about anything else except work quietly behind the scenes to put the finishing touches on what now appears to be obvious but inevitable moves.

Since there's been previous embarassments over premature declarations, I don't think anyone is going to stop untl it's complete.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I agree that a vast majority of consumers will not care about this sort of thing. Most of my friends that aren't really into audio and video stuff are waiting until there is one format. The could care less which one is better at what things. They just want one format that won't be obsolete next year and has all the movies they want available.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex /forum/post/12918787

Consumer electronics is not politics.

Which is exactly why there's no point in speculating who's secretly aligned with who and who took money from whom.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think this would be pretty cool. I also agree the average consumer probably would watch it. Still to see each side debate thier plus vs minus would be cool to see.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
already was given a try before. Bluray backed out last minuted due to undisclosed reasons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The debate would have to start off with "this is only pertinent to you if you own a 40+" HDTV, a HD receiver, and a quality speaker system." Next, none of the features of each format matter anyways because HD-DVD only has support from two major studios, and Blu-ray is missing two major studios. Now that 3% of the population is still watching we can continue.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the formats first came out , was wondering what the differant resolutions would look like . Also the dif between upconverted and hi def . Hd-dvd or blu ...

Even what 1080I vs 1080P (which is a huge buzz word )Looks like the pq is not better

with the progressive enought to point out....

Need to be a political genius/rocket engineer ?? Hope not just to buy into hi def !!

I understand the part about (hush money)cloak and dagger stuff ...

Just have a fair non biased show off of what the formats got ....

This is very interesting , I was a Beta guy by the way ...

Quality / cost =bang for the buck !!

Great conversation , enjoyed the non flamable feedback ...!!

Bob

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have studied and viewed both of these formats enough to have become somewhat indifferent to which one wins AS LONG AS ONE DOES AND QUICKLY. This is certainly the perspective of all of my friends who are into video. They just want a new player and the ability to buy hd disks with high-quality picture and sound.

A debate on the merits of the two formats at this point would have no interest for me or, I am guessing, for most consumers.

The only relevant question: are we going to continue this format war, or are we going to shut it down? The issues here have nothing to do with the merits of the two formats and everything to do with whether or not we will have a viable high-definition medium.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but to about 60% or more of the population, such an on air demo of both formats would be useless as they're still using SD sets.

Could that same factor be affecting commercials for both formats? Who knows...

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryder /forum/post/12921679

Sorry...it would be a complete waste of air time...people overall don't care about HDM as of yet.

Overall people don't CARE about DVD either. It's just what you use to play a movie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts