AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if having an air conditioner on the same circuit as my receiver will damage the receiver when the a/c compressor starts up. I have been unplugging my receiver from the surge protector everytime before I start the air conditioner in my room. I leave my tv, dvd, and 360 still plugged in but I am nervous about the receiver since I think it may be more sensitive to voltage drop versus the other electronics. Will my receiver die prematurely if I leave it plugged in while I run the ac?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My lights dim when the AC kicks on or when I turn the receiver on so I ran a separate 20A circuit for the AV stuff. The voltage on the line the AC is plugged into still drops from 123V to 118V when the AC compressor kicks in. Gonna run a new circuit for it too.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I sincerely hope you are talking about a "window-type" a/c unit, because anything else should have been wired on its own dedicated circuit.

In any case, I would not do it. At least use a surge protector to help out with any spikes that occur when the compressor shuts off. If you own, I would pay an electrician to run a new circuit for your a/v equipment.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffycake /forum/post/14321211

I have been unplugging my receiver from the surge protector everytime before I start the air conditioner in my room.

Yes, but what about the voltage spike everytime the compressor cycles on and off ? You have momentary voltage drop in the circuit from the inrush current when when the compressor starts up and back-EMF when it stops. Anytime current to an inductor (the compressor winding) is cut off, that creates a voltage spike (back-EMF) in the circuit. If at all possible, plug the receiver in somewhere else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts