AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
One idea I have been kicking around to facilitate air circulation and winter cooling, is the use of an air exchanger (HRV) system.
My basement is finished and has a zone of it's own, in most cases the use of the home theater will not coincide with the use of the rest of the basement, so the cooling/heating can be driven based upon the temperature of the room. It is well known that a room with substantial soundproofing can get hot with some people in it, and as I am in the northeast, I am obviously not planning on running my AC during the winter. I have investigated mini-split units with the condensor in the equipment room, as well as inline fans for supply and exhaust, as well as doing nothing and just turning on the HVAC unit's fan to mix the air.
But it would seem to me that reasonable solution to this, without a huge expense would be one of these HRV systems, I would be able to get fresh air from outside, slightly conditioned, but still lower than the temperature of the room, to come in. It would serve as air circulation and provide some cooling.
What do people think? Am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Well, I'm not familiar with the device you speak of, but my theater is a completely closed off room from the rest of the house and it uses the same hvac system as the rest of the house. What I did was put double the air intakes that I thought I would need and a large 20x20 return with an air filter. I live in NM so the AC is running most of the time anyways, but on not so hot days where I don't really need the ac on I'll turn the hvac fan on while watching a movie. This sucks the warm air out of the theater and replaces it with cool air from the rest of the house. This works very well for me.

For winter I put a small oil filled space heater in the back of the room. These run silent and I can keep it nice and toasty in there if I want to.

I also invested in a house thermostat that has internet capability and came with a smart phone app. This allows me to adjust the air flow as needed without leaving the theater. A big plus IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't the HRV pulling in cold air, albeit elevated slightly, but certainly not to the level of the inside, provide enough cooling?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts