AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I would have any heat problem if I put sound insulation between the case wall and the motherboard.

I could see how this would reduce airflow under there to almost nothing. I was planning on using an Athlon XP processor so things will be a little warm inside the case, in general.

I was planning on using the Magic Fleece from http://www.noisecontrol.de/

Thanks!

Stu

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I'm sure that by reducing the amount of air flowing underneath you will lose any cooling that was going on under there. With some cases, like my Antec 780B the standoffs are pretty tall, and the motherboard sits higher than some other installations. This probably helps. I'm not sure what type of application material you have to use with the fleece, but if you can just try it out, then go for it. I don't imagine there is much air movement down there whether or not there is a whole bunch of room. I am also unsure about the amount of noise you will eliminate by doing this.

Remember too, that the case radiates heat to the outside. This is reduced whenever installing materials which insulate the case. Perhaps the noise that you are trying to mask can be brought down to an acceptable level?

good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.