AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if there was still potential problems with air shipment with the current generation plasmas. Most vendors will ship them next day air, so I'm assuming that any previously problems with the first/second generation units is now moot; (at least I hope so since my Panny TH-37PA20UP is coming by air!!).

Comments?

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
most plasmas are shipped by air routinely- in pressurized cargo bays:

this should not be a concern

Good luck with your new plasma:)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I got my plasma Panny 42" from Dell. It was shipped by air from Electrograph in NYC and bought to my house by a local delivery company. The truck driver told me he just picked it up at my local airport (Logan). That was 5 months ago. Absolutely no problem what-so-ever!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reponses. I'm much relieved to hear them.

Was there really a problem with first gen. plasmas and air freight or was it a myth?

·
Registered
93 Posts
As long as they get through the security check then it's fine:D

Seriously, the plasmas coming in from Japan are shipped by boat, trucked to the warehouse, then air freighted to a hub and then delivered by truck to the buyer's house. That little plasma you recieved has been through a lot, just to get on your living room wall.

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebishman
Thanks for the reponses. I'm much relieved to hear them.

Was there really a problem with first gen. plasmas and air freight or was it a myth?
I don't recall any reports of damage to a plasma because it was shipped by air freight: perhaps it is being confused with operational problems at high altitudes which is explained Here

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think that the problem was with air freight itself. From what I heard, the problem is the use of couriers like UPS and FedEx that can't guarantee the unit will stay upright and be handled with care. A lot of freight companies don't have the resources to ship Next Day Air and that is why 2nd Day Air is so popular with plasma screens.

Geoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.