AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

First time poster here...

I have a brand new Apple Imac and a one year old Yamaha V575 Receiver. What I'm unsuccessfully trying to do is play my itunes through my Receiver since I have a B zone which I plan on hooking up outside this summer. And of course, nothing works.

For now, I have a cord from my router right into the receiver (this method works to get internet on my Direct Tv Box). But, when I hook it up to my receiver, nothing happens. I see that Itunes on my MAC recognizes the 575, but when I hit airplay to connect, it doesn't happen.

Let me also mention that I downloaded the Yamaha controller App on my phone and that doesn't pick up my receiver either. And let me also mention (2x), that when I hook my ipod up through USB in the front, the receiver says connected, the ipod charges, but when I hit net, no device is detected.

My main goal right now though is to hook up my Mac to my receiver using this cord, and once that works, I'll buy either the Yamaha wireless or bluetooth adaptor.

So that's my story, I'm hoping there's a nice person out there to walk me step by step on how to get this right. What settings am I messing up? Having 2 young kids, I don't get the luxary of sitting around for hours troubleshooting it all.

PLS HELP!!!!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hello

I have a brand new Apple Imac and a one year old Yamaha V575 Receiver. What I'm unsuccessfully trying to do is play my itunes through my Receiver since I have a B zone which I plan on hooking up outside this summer. And of course, nothing works.

For now, I have a cord from my router right into the receiver (this method works to get internet on my Direct Tv Box). But, when I hook it up to my receiver, nothing happens. I see that Itunes on my MAC recognizes the 575, but when I hit airplay to connect, it doesn't happen.

Let me also mention that I downloaded the Yamaha controller App on my phone and that doesn't pick up my receiver either. And let me also mention (2x), that when I hook my ipod up through USB in the front, the receiver says connected, the ipod charges, but when I hit net, no device is detected.

My main goal right now though is to hook up my Mac to my receiver using this cord, and once that works, I'll buy either the Yamaha wireless or bluetooth adaptor.

So that's my story, I'm hoping there's a nice person out there to walk me step by step on how to get this right. What settings am I messing up? Having 2 young kids, I don't get the luxary of sitting around for hours troubleshooting it all.

PLS HELP!!!!
I can't troubleshoot your Yamaha AirPlay,
Not at all familiar with the unit.

I would suggest that you look into the
Apple TV. For $69 it is almost flawless.

I use one to AirPlay from my iMac to my 6
Year old Marantz avr. To me, simple solution.

Also, be advised that many AVR's don't support
A digital signal to zone 2....only analog.

I didn't see if you noted that your AirPlay is
Functioning in your 'main' zone?

·
Registered
515 Posts
..I would suggest that you look into the

The problem with using the latest gen Apple TV for AirPlay is that it lacks an analog output - it only has HDMI. So I could not use if for my 2nd and 3rd zones which, to your point, won't work with digital signal.

So yesterday I went to MicroCenter and bought one of their few remaining Apple Airport Expresses. ..It has an analog output, I connected it to the AVR using a 1/8" jack to RCA interconnect. After setting up with AirPort Utility from one of our Macs (took two minutes) it works perfectly!

I paid $100 at MicroCenter but it can be found for less online, including refurbished units from the Apple Store.

https://www.apple.com/airport-express/

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The problem with using the latest gen Apple TV for AirPlay is that it lacks an analog output - it only has HDMI. So I could not use if for my 2nd and 3rd zones which, to your point, won't work with digital signal.

So yesterday I went to MicroCenter and bought one of their few remaining Apple Airport Expresses. ..It has an analog output, I connected it to the AVR using a 1/8" jack to RCA interconnect. After setting up with AirPort Utility from one of our Macs (took two minutes) it works perfectly!

I paid $100 at MicroCenter but it can be found for less online, including refurbished units from the Apple Store.

That is a very good solution. Alternatively, you could get an
Optical to analog converter for the ATV3, along with an optical
Cable. That would push the price point to about $100, same as
Airport Express.

The OP also has an iPod. He could install Apple Remote to
Access his iTunes library from the iPod and use the iPod's
Analog out headphone jack. Not very convenient though.

I'm curious if his AirPlay is functioning on the main zone
Though. I know that AirPlay on AVR's can be a bit buggy.
It seems that they all have different implementations.
None of my AVR's have this ability, which I am thankful
For.

Edit- the iPod would have to be one of the
Touch models.

·
Registered
515 Posts
..I know that AirPlay on AVR's can be a bit buggy.
It seems that they all have different implementations.
None of my AVR's have this ability, which I am thankful
For.
Agreed, which is why when buying an AVR two weeks ago I was indifferent to whether or not it had AirPlay. I just figured that I would use Apple TV regardless. What I had't counted on, however, was that you need an analog signal for remote zones.

Another option is blue-tooth, but it's a pain outputting a blue tooth signal from an iMac. Basically, you need to select Bluetooth as your Sound Output in System Preferences. ..Not very elegant. Plus, the sending and receiving devices need to be closer than with wifi and it tends to get more dropouts.

Having both AppleTV and an AirportExpress adds extra cost ($200) but you have both of best worlds. ..With ATV connected to an HDMI input you can stream pictures, movies, etc.. from iMac, iPhone, etc. ..And with AirportExpress connected to an analog input you can stream music for use in remote zones.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can't troubleshoot your Yamaha AirPlay,
Not at all familiar with the unit.

I would suggest that you look into the

Where do they sell AppleTV for $69?

That won't work for Zone2 unless a DAC is used.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hello

PLS HELP!!!!
Is the phone using WiFi? It needs to be on the network for the app to work.

Did you look in the troubleshooting section of the manual?

Reboot the router and see if it works.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Where do they sell AppleTV for $69?

That won't work for Zone2 unless a DAC is used.
Apple has them and Best Buy too. $69.
They dropped the price about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Apparently a new model (atv4) will be out
This summer.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I glanced thru the 575 owners manual
And it appears that it does not support
A different source for zone 2. A bit befuddling.
Yamaha owners manuals always leave me
Scratching my head. :confused:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

You can use the AppleTV if you add a DAC. If you're not going to be to critical in Zone2, you can get one for less than $30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts