AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all those whom have assisted, and the wealth of info in here, I have ordered all the components for my new HTPC. Except the IR control:

I am wanting to create a wife/kids friendly interface that can control the HTPC via the simple RCA810 learning remote i use for the home theater (two kids under 8 = no pronto). Because of the limited memory on the remote.. i would like to use one of the pre-programed DVD code sets in the remote (is this possible?) to control PowerDvd. A wireless keyboard would also be nice.

Can I just buy the Silitech Airboard/receiver and use Girder to interpret the preset DVD codes from this inexpensive learning remote? Will this work with the Airboard IR receiver? I like this idea as it would be nice to have a wireless keyboard too.

Am i better off just getting the IR Man and Girder to do this?

Do I need both the IrMan and the Airboard if i want a wireless keyboard and also want to use the RCA810 learning remote?

Also does anyone know if the cheapest place to acquire the Airboard 7100? Not having much luck.. only locate one source so far.

Lastly, is there an easy pre-built interface to use that will function with the RCA810 learninging remote and Girder and either the IrMan or Airboard Receiver. I would like to have a default screen that simply has options like Music Videos, Music, DVD, etc . Then clicking on say Music Videos would bring up a playlist of the 100's of MPEG2 music videos I have on the harddrive that can be scrolled through and played using the cheap learning remote.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I realize that this may be basic stuff buy my head is still spinning from reviewing chipsets. By the way I went with the ECS K7S5A motherboard (on a budget) so wish me luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
from my experience with the airboard, the airboard ir receiver will only recognize the ir sent from the keyboard.

if you want to use the codes that are already in the remote i think you will need an IRMan. If you can reprogram the DVD buttons on the remote to send the airboard signal, you can use only the airboard and it's IR receiver. In this setup, you can do without girder because you can program the remote to send the keyboard hot keys that perform specific functions(eg. FF, RW, etc...). This is what i do with my pronto. it works great when the hot key is a single keys (eg, Z for zoom in powerDVD), not so good when the hot key is a combination of keys(eg, ctrl+some other key)

hope this helps...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay i have found the Talisman interface.

Still looking for advice on integration:

Girder

Airboard 7100 with its IR receiver.

Inexpensive RCA810 learning remote as most common control device to use for:

PowerDvD control for playing MPEG2 files on hard drive/DVD;s, and basic Talisman menu navigation.

Will this combo work?

Do i still need the IrMan or will Airboard's receiver and Girder work fine with the RCA810 remote?

Thanks for those who take the time. I would be glad to reciprocate with TiVo upgrading assistance if needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pcold
from my experience with the airboard, the airboard ir receiver will only recognize the ir sent from the keyboard.

if you want to use the codes that are already in the remote i think you will need an IRMan. If you can reprogram the DVD buttons on the remote to send the airboard signal, you can use only the airboard and it's IR receiver. In this setup, you can do without girder because you can program the remote to send the keyboard hot keys that perform specific functions(eg. FF, RW, etc...). This is what i do with my pronto. it works great when the hot key is a single keys (eg, Z for zoom in powerDVD), not so good when the hot key is a combination of keys(eg, ctrl+some other key)

hope this helps...
Thanks for the advice.. exactly what i was looking for. Although the RCA810 has limited memory I have room left for probably 20 IR learning commands or so, should suffice to learn the Airboard Hotkeys. When you say "not so good when the hot key is a combination do you mean: it wont work or doesnt work very well or works most of the time or sometimes. Is it just not worth trying and I should go with the IrMan?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.