Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound like an unusual question

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of few refurbished airline seats for my Home Theatre. I think those Business / first class seats will make good HT seats. They are wide, comfortable, recline able and have a side tray and best of all a pop-up LCD screen which can be used to control equipment .

I once read somewhere, that most of the large airlines normally replace the seats in their aircraft every couple of years, does anyone know what happens to these seats afterwards.

Regards

·
Registered
551 Posts
good luck.

they don't replace them, they repair them. the frames last for years and if something happened to the seat, torn cushion or whatever, they'd replace the damaged parts.

parts are removed from aircraft because they're too old (2 yrs is not old) or are damaged. then they're either rebuilt and put back into service or scrapped.

you could prob'ly build a nice budget theatre for the price of one seat. if you found a seat, then you'd have to run power to it, converting your house power to 28 VDC and 28 VAC. once you get the seat powered up, you 'd prob'ly have to install your own touch LCD. the one in the seat doesn't take a video feed, but a data stream from a video distibution network and signal transceivers. on a 767 all this is the size of a small closet. you couldn't even afford it.

airplace parts are exspensive...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The MARCH 2001 issue features a HT that was created to retrofit a Fisrt Class section of a 747. The article, however, fails to mention where they purchased the reupholstered seats.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Quote:
The MARCH 2001 issue features a HT that was created to retrofit a Fisrt Class section of a 747. The article, however, fails to mention where they purchased the reupholstered seats.
It did however mention that he got a U-Haul truck and picked them up on his own. From what I remember (I would have to dig out the article) he got them locally, which would be the S.F. San Jose area.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Very good question.

Back in the mid 80's several airlines started to upgrade their cabins which included new lighter weight better designed seats. The old seats were thrown into dumpsters (scrapped). Once in a while a cargo outfit will purchase an airliner and throw away or warehouse the removed seats. Lots a luck on trying to find a good set.

There are a few aircraft contract facilities at Miami International Airport that may be able to led you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by orbillius
Look for used Dental chairs. THose are the most comfortable things ever.
Now THAT is the greatest thing I have ever heard for HT! How many times have you sat through a movie trying to get than dang piece of popcorn kernal out of your teeth? You could have several refinished dental chairs with tactile tranducers installed, then mate them with the dental water-pick and a spit basin...and if the movie is less than desireable...take a hit off the nitrous mask!:D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your reply Art, yes I agree that only Business or first class seats would be worthwhile, however the question still remains where can they be got. I also saw pictures of an HT installation in a UK magazine where First class seats were used. However I cannot remember what issue this was. Perhaps someone else who saw this install might be able to help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I use Captains chairs for conversion vans. They slide back and forth, swivel, recline, height adjust and are comfortable for long periods of time. I got the idea sitting in my van, I figured I was comfortable for hours in the van so why not try them.. I bought them from JC Whitney. I now use two big recliners for the sweet spot with bass shakers. You can see them on my web page. I have had them in my HT since about 1993. I am currently refurbishing cinema chairs like discussed here but they won't be nearly as comfortable as the Captains Chairs. Of course I won't be sitting in them. I am only switching to fit more chairs in the room. Also the Captains chairs get expensive in comparison to refurbishing old chairs ($20 vs $250-300).

Also, I will add that when I have flown to Japan in Business Class I noted the chairs would be the ultimate HT seat!!! The overseas BC and FC seats are much better than domestic first class seats. Massage, heat, personal lights, noise cancellation system, more adjustments than you can shake a stick at. I am sure a few of those seats cost as much as a house!

Web Page:
http://www.geocities.com/dhummm/

:D

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Airlines will, from time to time, remove their first class seats and replace them. In most cases, however, they offer the seats for sale to their employees.

There is a company in AZ that salvages such items out of retired aircraft, but, I am unware of their name or location.

You can also go to www.landings.com.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll find links to lots of sources to lots of things you'd likely never want. Roughly in the middle you'll find a category for parts and services. Under that the first link is to manufacturers. The second is to parts. Select parts. You'll be presented with a horribly long list of companies that provide new and salavaged aircraft parts (primarly from general aviation aircraft). You may find what you're looking for there...what you will find as well, are seats for Lear Jets, Gulfstreams and the like.

Now, having just noted you're in London. You could also contact Virgin and BA's maintenance operations, tell them of your interest, and they may be of great help to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sheggsl,

I notice you live in the UK. If you are prepared to do what I did and rent a 7.5 ton truck you can hopefully collect some seats from a company in Hereford (near Wales). I bought 4 business class and 4 economy seats from them, they were being refurbished after being taken out of a British Airways Jumbo 747. Take a look at my website to see some photos. I will be updating the photos on my website soon as the stage has been fully carpeted now.
http://www.rogerwilshaw.force9.co.uk

I cannot remember the name of the company but if you are interested call British Airways and ask to speak to the property department. They gave me a number of the company. If you get no joy then mail me and I will dig out the invoice witht he phone number on it. Good luck.

Roger

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Hmmm... So you have these aircraft seats. Does that mean you have to sit REALLLLY close to your screen? Also, do you hire a neighbor kid to sit behind you and kick the seat during the movie? Can you only listen with cheesy headphones and not your great surround system? And I suppose you'll miss the last 5 minutes of every film because you have to turn off all electronic devices?

I'd stick with theater seats myself!....:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
The retirement field in Arizona is near the small town of Marana, Northwest of Tucson. Although it use to be the Marana Air Field, I think the field's name is now the Pinal County Air Park. The skydiving center is still active there ( www.skydivemarana.com ) and they might be able to put you in touch with someone about the retired planes. In fact, their website lists a few airplane seats in their used equipment list (but they sure don't sound like HT seats!).

The strip is so big that it'll accomodate most planes and the Forest Service runs an arial firefighting school from there ( http://www.nartc.net/information.html ). There are some really big planes sitting out there.

Although I live in Phoenix, I grew up in Tucson and travel there every couple of months. I'd be happy to stop by and look/ask around if there's interest.

Ross

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.