AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of getting an airpanel but hoped someone could answer a couple questions.

- is the screen touch sensitive or do you have to use the stylus? in other words could i use it as a touchscreen?

- do i have to use the keyboard and mouse usb on the dock or can i use the ones on the computer i am controlling? i saw that someone had trouble with the gyration becuase it uses a single usb rather than two. i have one and wondered if i could just put it on the pc i am controlling and us it. my concern is that when the airpanel is controlling the pc that the locally attached keyboard and mouse cease to function.

- is it fast or do you feel a lag when you are using it?

- can it show full motion video? if i had an app that watched a security camera could i see it on the airpanel?

thanks,

greg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Greg,

Whilst I don't have one, I've looked into it a little and played a bit down at my local CompUSA and Fry's, so I think I can answer a couple of your questions.

(1) Yes it is "touch" sensitive. Works fine with a finger.

(2) Not totally sure, but I would guess it will function just as a hub. Therefore I'd be surprised if you HAVE to use it for the keyboard/mouse connection. I would also expect that you would not lose the gyration when using the airpanel. Multiple controllers can generally be used together, especially USB (for example, my laptop can have both the internal touchpad and external USB mouse connected and they both work at the same time. I've also run 2 USB mice at the same time before, no problem)

(3) Depends what you are expecting. From playing around with one, I think for control, surfing, email etc it is fast enough. RDP is pretty fast.

(4) I would doubt it, not over the wireless connection at least. It's currently 802.11b, so it's pretty limited for video. However, I'd also be surprised if RDP could keep up.

Hope this helps. Some fact, some speculation :)

Paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry Greg,

Looks like I may have misinformed you about the keyboard/mouse thing...

Quote:
I had understood that the Airpanls used XP Remote Desktop for their connection to the host. Standard RD locks the host's keyboard/mouse/display such that I concluded that it would not do well for controlling an HTPC. It was further my understanding that you could not use other types of connection methods, such as VNC with it.
Posted in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=airpanel

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.