AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the AirPort Express will not output sound through the USB port, but can I still power some small speakers with it? I understand that I need to use the headphone jack for the audio.

Does any company make a small (white/silver) speaker that is USB powered AND uses a standard headphone jack for the audio?

This would be ideal as I am sick of buying/recharging AA batteries after forgetting to turn off the speaker! I don't mind if the speaker is as big as the JBL Duets or as small as a micro ipod speaker.

Any links or ideas would be helpfull! I did do a search in the forums and I tried googling awhile but I never got a definite answer.

Thanks in Advance,

Russ Kercheval

Indianapolis, IN

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

I have yet to find an answer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to bump again... I've found, online, a few speakers that use USB for power AND an Aux/"Headphone" jack for audio...

Does the Airport Express output power, or enough power for a couple watt speaker?

I still can't find that info anywhere.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Russ,

Paul Kafasis of Rogue Amoeba (ie: author of Airfoil software) claims the Benwin FX 2.0 USB-P speakers DO WORK when powered by the Apple Airport Express. He specifically mentions the USB-P speakers work, but the USB-D speakers would not. I assume the USB-D speakers ONLY plug into the USB port. The speakers are plugged into the Airport Express stereo port for audio and into the Airport Express USB port for power. I question the audio quality of these speakers, since they are priced at less $10 per pair.

See his post here:
rogueamoeba.com/utm/2006/11/03/

Did you end up finding/trying any other USB powered speakers with the Apple Airport Express? If so, can you report specific models that did (or did not) work?

I'd like to setup an Airport Express with a pair of speakers on my small back patio. I'd like to find a pair of speakers that I could mount to the walls near the ceiling. A small set of USB-powered speakers would be ideal, but a pair of standard outdoor speakers and a small amp to drive them would work too. The "T-amp" with a pair of high efficiency speakers seems like it would have been ideal as a small amp, but it seems the product is hard to come by now.

Jason

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Another suggestion. mount the airport express to the back of one of the speakers. run an extension cord to the outlet and plug both the speakers and the airport express to the extension cord and velcro it all behind or to the speakers to make it tidy.

you still need to run power so just use an extension cord and then tidy up the extra wires.... Its only slightly more messy and you open your self up to getting a much better kind of speaker...

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts