AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
AirTV Player(BW)

Setup the player last night; using WI-FI. And, no phone. It did a firmware update 3.7.9 I believe during the process. Had a hickup during the last update. Just restarted, NO problem. (wi-fi, I would guess).

Antenna scan was quick, found 96 stations. 3 more than Tivo. It has a feature to select your channels. Check mark.. It allowed me to select my choices in two sessions. No channels were changed or gone. Just continued to pare the list..

I have a sling sub, blue.... It had me log in and started Sling... Now have a combined Guide, yea....

Added my 1 Tb HDD, formatted it and was available. Did a record of a live show. Viewed it this morning. OK
No skip commercials; but ff worked.

Forgot this answer, does Sling allow me to select the blue channels I want???? Couldn't find it?

Oh, there are 2 setup icons at the bottom; 1 for Sling and 1 for Air player.

Haven't now anything with Apps let....

Chuck

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
On the Roku Sling app, the left/right arrow buttons skip back 10/forward 30 seconds (although as I mentioned, they aren't as responsive as I'd like).

There is a way to set up a "favorite" channel list. On the "My TV" screen, right under the menu, the first row is "My Channels." The rightmost button on the row is labeled "Edit Your Channel List." (If you haven't set up any favorites, it's the only button.) Click it and you'll get a screen listing all your channels. You can select your favorites from here.

Once you've selected your favorites, you can go to the guide, click where it says "All Channels," select "My Channels" instead, and exit back to the guide. Your guide will now be filtered to display only your favorite channels.

Edit: BTW, on the Roku, the Sling app is up to version 5.10.0.127 now....

·
Registered
600 Posts
JHBrandt,

I am NOT using any Roku. I have the player (BW) which connects to the internet. The menus are NOT the same..

Edit: For reasons, I cannot explain the two "edit" options are there this morning and I was able to edit my 2 channel lists! Thank You

Also, I found I did NOT have the record choice setup properly; you have to tell it, new only, all, etc.. So, tomorrow, I can test the ff and rw functions on a recording.

Chuck

·
Registered
600 Posts
(BW)Blue White Box Player

Recorded as expected except audio seems to be PCM not 5.1.. Play back was fine; ff and back arrows worked as expected.. +30 & -10 seconds.

Chuck

Reactions: JHBrandt

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
... (own 2 fire tv boxes) .... I currently have the AirTV (v2 black box version) and I really like it except channels that have interlacing (all but fox and abc) show very noticeable interlace/combing artifacts when side to side motion is going on.
I don't see that on mine. But I'm using a Roku with it, not Fire TV. I wonder if this is a problem with the app for the Fire TV?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't see that on mine. But I'm using a Roku with it, not Fire TV. I wonder if this is a problem with the app for the Fire TV?

oh yeah? well dang, if I can fix it then I'd definitely keep it. I'll see if maybe changing the tv setting in the Fire TV box will change that.
I think I have it set to output 720P (same as the panny plasma it is connected to)

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Changing settings is at least worth a try. If it doesn't help or makes things worse, nothing lost - just change it back.

Also, I should have mentioned I've only used the Sling app with my AirTV. The AirTV app may look different or may not work as well.

Lots more variables with these networked boxes than with traditional tuners and DVRs.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
FireTV sticks are known to have deinterlacing problems. One of the main reasons I switched to Shields. Supposedly the very latest 4K stick has hardware support for it, but people are still having issues.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Have a BB AirTV coming Thur. Iwant to see how bad the streaming video is compared to an HDMI video without all the video manipulation?? New 4K Fire stick to receive.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Make sure to get your 4K Fire TV updated with the latest update, or it will look truly hideous:
It came out 12/13 and seems to fix the problem with the HDHomerun app. I believe that involved the mpeg hardware decoder working improperly.
I assume it will update itself automatically, but I don't own one so I'm not sure.

The 4K Fire TV seems to have trouble upscaling 720p output to 4K properly. I'm hoping the update fixed this but I haven't seen anyone say so explicitly yet.

I'm not sure if the AirTV BB rescales to 720p when transcoding to MPEG-4. I know Amazon's similar Recast does but there's not nearly as much technical info about the AirTV; it may retain the original resolution and let the receiving device & app do any rescaling. Try a 720p channel (usually Fox) to be sure.

·
Registered
693 Posts
FireTV sticks are known to have deinterlacing problems. One of the main reasons I switched to Shields. Supposedly the very latest 4K stick has hardware support for it, but people are still having issues.

I don't have the stick, just the firetv box.

I did try a stick in another room but it was so terrible at maintaining full HD with amazon prime
so I returned it for another box version.

The issues seems to be related to the broadcaster oddly enough. I noted that other channels with
interlacing don't have any interlace weaving issues. Only CBS is showing the problem. weird.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
My wife had the misfortune to need a brief stay in the hospital last night (she's OK), but while she was there I picked up her iPhone, launched Sling TV, and started watching TV from my home AirTV over the hospital's WiFi. Looked pretty good. I was watching an SD channel though; didn't think to try an HD channel while I was there.

For me, the impressive thing was that the UI was identical to what I have at home. I could watch live TV, watch recordings, or schedule new recordings all just like I do here. Didn't have to do anything special; it just worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently purchased the airtv bb. Setup was easy, it discovered my local channels and all seems well in viewing ota
through the roku sling app. I also installed a disk drive to enable the dvr capability of the airtv. At first glance... it works
BUT it's very basic. The only options when setting up a recording are...

-record this episode
-record all episodes
-record series

Once you've set up the recording there's no changing it without deleting and starting over. Overall functionality seems
similar to the sling cloud dvr.

My only concern right now is that there's no way to adjust the start and end times of recordings and unfortunately this
is a problem given all my ota recordings are starting late.

I'll provide further updates as the product matures and i try to work the issue with sling.

I'd be interested to hear observations from others who are using airtv bb.

Ted

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I recently purchased the AirTV Player. It looked like the newest of the two, being more sleek than the black box. However that doesn't seem to be the case. The player description alluded to watching OTA channels at other locations, but it seems from this thread that it is the BB owners doing that. Since the initial set up where I started with the AirTV app, but had to finish directly with the remote, I have not been able to connect to the WB (white box) with either the AirTV or Sling app. I've tried with both ethernet and the same wifi that my phone is on. This is not a deal breaker as OTA recording was my primary goal and it does that well. The player does become unresponsive and requires an unplug reboot every couple of days which is irritating. Box and remote are current.

I just found this very good explanation of the difference between the two. Had I read this in advance, I would have gotten the black box AirTV. https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/airtv-vs-airtv-player-which-do-you-need/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1XvCybop_cFnhxJY8J229azAHr6a1aiZjqFm5xaup10I8YwGuoPr5_BoCxD0QAvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Anyone hear anything at all about new features being added? In particular recording padding and trick play...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thinking of buying the Black Box. I have Roku Ultras, no Sling. I see the Airtv Roku channel. I have an indoor flat antenna and get at least 20 locals, very good HD quality. Questions:
1. Is the guide within the Airtv Roku channel? (No need for a phone)
2. Ext. HD work well? (No need for Sling)
3. Do you have to sign in every time?
4. Will quality through Roku be as good as directly from ota to tv?

I'm using this in 2 guest rooms, seldom used but seems a good way to get locals to them. Just need "easy to use" guide. DVR is not required, but a nice perk.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
IIRC to set up an external HDD for recording, you need the Sling app, and that means you need to sign up for a (free) Sling account. You do not need a paid Sling subscription.

If you just need the AirTV black box for its tuners, you can use the AirTV app. No need for a Sling account in that case.

I don't use the AirTV app so I don't know how good its guide is.

Picture quality through Roku will never be quite as good as directly from an OTA antenna to the TV due to the need for transcoding (Roku doesn't support the MPEG-2 codec used by OTA TV). But it's not bad.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
So, can you use the Sling guide on Roku with the free Sling account? The Sling guide looks better than the Airtv app guide. I don't use Sling, but just want a decent guide for OTA.

IIRC to set up an external HDD for recording, you need the Sling app, and that means you need to sign up for a (free) Sling account. You do not need a paid Sling subscription.

If you just need the AirTV black box for its tuners, you can use the AirTV app. No need for a Sling account in that case.

I don't use the AirTV app so I don't know how good its guide is.

Picture quality through Roku will never be quite as good as directly from an OTA antenna to the TV due to the need for transcoding (Roku doesn't support the MPEG-2 codec used by OTA TV). But it's not bad.

121 - 140 of 202 Posts