Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a component adapter for my 8500 AIW off a guy. He just sold me the adapter with nothing else.

I have tried many settings but I can't get the PC to output to my 47inch Panny. I could get an output but its not fitting the screen, the screen real estate is beyond what the TV screen could cover.

Is there anything wrong with what I am doing or is there an extra installation CD that should have came with the adapter or are there any settings that I should change? ATI's site do not have sufficient information on this topic.

Thanks

Howard

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the DVI-I to Component adapter that was made by ATI

Is this problem of overscanning solveable by using powerstrip?

I thought overscan was going to be around 5% or so..but this is ridiculously overscaned

I have to drag my mouse around to be able to to view some parts of the screen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe the number of people having similar problems as me

Apparently solving it is a pain in the a**

I see people mentioning using Powerstrip a lot, is this necessary to minimize the overscan, what I am more concerned now is NOT to get a virtual desktop, i guess i will need to see the overscan before I decide if it is acceptable or not before fiddling with Powerstrip

Thanks for suggestion though! At least now I know its called a virtual desktop

=)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Have you tried the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI? I believe they should have some other screen modes (such as 1776x1000i) you can use to eliminate the overscan issues. Powerstrip may not be necessary.

Many other people have the ATI dongle, so keep searching the other threads for more info.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am using the ATI 8500DV card with dongle to my 60" GWII.

With 3.2 Catalyst drivers I can display the following modes full screen with no overscan without Powerstrip. No GWII tweaks required either.

1152 x 648 (720P optimized format)

1776 x 1000i ((1080i optimized format)

The optimized format must be selected from the YPbPR Properties tab.

Has anyone figured out how to enable the 16:9 optimized format?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How come I don't have the YPbPr properties tab? I see everyone talking about it and I saw some screenshots where people get to see an option of setting YPbPr and also an icon of a big screen tv, when I go to that screen what I see is just 2 monitor options, one tv and also an FPD

Why is that so? Did you get an extra installation driver that came with the dongle or just the catalyst 3.2 off ATI's site?(bought the dongle off someone from a forum). Also is it not possible to get nice output for a 16:9 set?

Howard

·
Registered
200 Posts
I didn't do anything special.

Sounds like the driver is not recognizing your TV connection as a component input.

The DVI-I to YPrPb dongle does not come with software. The dongle is only supported by certain (8500, 8500DV, 9500 and 9700 series) ATI cards. The new 9800 series may also support it but I'm not sure. You also must be running Windows Me, 2000 or XP.

The problem may also be with the dongle you are using. I purchased mine directly from ATI.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Howard:

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 PRO card in my PC and just got an ATI Component Video Adapter. It came with an Installation and Setup Guide only: NO Setup CD included because my VGA card is a 9700. But thisa guide indicates that the Setpu CD is only needed for the 8500 series cards. Since your card is an 8500 AIW, it may be that you need the setup CD from ATI. I suggest you send their Tech Support an email inquiring.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The ATi HDTV adapter only supports a small handful of resolutions for 1080i HDTVs:

640x480p

720x480p

856x480p

1776x1000i

1920x1080i

All other resolutions will result in a virtual desktop and at this time there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. If you read the guide in my sig you can gets some tips on how to correct for horizontal for supported resolutions.

You don't need any extra SW to run the dongle. It is supported in the ATi drivers. I'm using CAT 3.2 drivers. It should be the only thing connected to your video card, no other monitors.

What color is your adapter? The 8500 (non DV) should use the black VGA adapter. The purple adapter is for DVI ports on the 9700/9500 cards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.