AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I just started having some trouble with my normally reliable Aiwa AV-D67 receiver. When I push the power button all I get is 2-3 rapid, sharp clicks from near the back of the unit and sometimes a quick surge of the display lighting. Up until yesterday this had never occurred and I've been using a robust surge protector so I don't imagine that there were any issues there. Any insight or advice is appreciated. I'm an AV novice so please be gentle!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problem as you with the av-d67. never had any other problem, did you figure it out? Someone help please!!!

thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jeff,

New to the forum. FYI I had same issue with my AV-D67 about 15 months ago. Was in shop for 2 months and still not sure what was done or reason for initial failure. Has been working fine until a recent power outage and now back in same situation. Researched lots of information and forums with no success. Did you get your issue resolved. Any feedback/comments from anyone is appreciated. Probably will just replace but did like the unit.

Happy Trails,

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here and just ran into this thread. I had the same problem with my AV-D67, started when I'd had it around 4 years.

The problem is with a magnetic switch that is used for the onboard circuit surge protection. The solution I came up with puts you at risk from a surge, but I wasn't worried since I have it plugged into an excellent surge protector.

I opened up the case and where the power cable comes into the unit I by-passed the switch that clicks by taking the metal connector and soldering it directly to the power connector.

It's really obvious what to do if you open the case and look/hear what happens when you try to power it on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same reciever "aiwa av-d67" and mine did the same thing. it turns out it's a power surge protector that gets tripped accidentally and to reset it you have to keep pressing enter untill the unit turns on to let you set the time, then before it shuts off, press the power button. your unit should turn on and stay on and be fine afterwards too. i've had my reciever for 5 years and it's only done that twice. i think it has somthing to do with the eco mode. after it did that a secound time i turned the eco mode off, i don't really care to save the miniscule amount of power it conserves and now i get to see what time it is when the unit is off lol. to turn the eco mode off, when your unit is on push the eco button and then use the multi jog or the up/down arrows to select eco off. hope this helped you all before you spend money on a new reciever or repaires you don't need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is pretty funny because my Av-D67 does the same thing. It clicks instead of turning on sometimes. It is generally a pain to turn on.

Do any of you know what code to use for a comcast universal remote? I lost my aiwa remote years ago. I used to have a cox universal remote that worked great.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofhoser /forum/post/13470214

i have the same reciever "aiwa av-d67" and mine did the same thing. it turns out it's a power surge protector that gets tripped accidentally and to reset it you have to keep pressing enter untill the unit turns on to let you set the time, then before it shuts off, press the power button. your unit should turn on and stay on and be fine afterwards too. i've had my reciever for 5 years and it's only done that twice. i think it has somthing to do with the eco mode. after it did that a secound time i turned the eco mode off, i don't really care to save the miniscule amount of power it conserves and now i get to see what time it is when the unit is off lol. to turn the eco mode off, when your unit is on push the eco button and then use the multi jog or the up/down arrows to select eco off. hope this helped you all before you spend money on a new reciever or repaires you don't need.

I also did this, It all started when there was a bad brown out in our grid. I've had to do this 2 times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks sonofhoser!

I did exactly as you said and it worked fine!!!

No tools, no protection circuit bypass, just a few simple clicks on the enter button and it's fixed! I really thought the amp was busted and needed serious fixing (=$$$$$$)...

By the way, where did you learn such a neat trick? Is it in the service manual that I was unable to find to download anywhere on the web?

Thanks again sonofhoser, you made my day!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-

I just found this post. I've been having the same problem with my AIWA-D67 Receiver. I tried unplugging the unit and then holding it the ENTER button and I did NOT get the clock to come on.

I tried hitting the ENTER button repeatedly, but still, nothing happened. I tried holding down the ENTER button along with the POWER button as my manual states, but this did not reset the receiver either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong to turn on my Receiver. It's a shame because I don't have a lot of "miles" on my Receiver and it should still have a lot of life left in it!

Thanks!

Cindy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Cindy,

I've had to reset my Aiwa AV-D67 amp a few times since I learned the procedure on this forum. The electric power to my cottage has been kind of problematic... But I always succeeded. The trick is to unplug the amp for a minute or so, to plug it back, and then to repeatidly hit the enter button really fast (for as long as a couple of minutes) until the display comes on, then to hit the power button before the amp shuts itself down again. I sometime got discurraged (or had a cramp in my finger!) before it worked because it may take some time as I said (two minutes is quite long when you hit the enter button at a rate of 3 or 4 clicks per second...). So try it and tell me if it works for you as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yo ead where do u actually bypass this switch and connect the metal connector? I don't see anywhere to connect a metal connector to the power directly...I'm still trying to keep pressing enter and this thing is teasing me by showing display and then going off real quick..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem, I received a broken aiwa av-d67 that would not turn on after a lightening storm.

I tore it open, replaced the main relay, but that was not the problem. I had a good 12V relay laying around from some other project.

Next, I took the advice of this forum to repeatedly tap the ENTER button. 5 constant minutes of this did not solve the problem...lets automate it!

I get my arduino board, write a code to send a pulsing signal that turns on and off 5 times a second.

On the reciever, I looked at the rear of the front PCB board that has the buttons connected to it. Without removing the front PCB from the plastic and buttons, the PCB behind the ENTER button should say "power" or "enter", this is what we are looking for. You can test that you have the ENTER button leads by shorting the leads, the main relay should click(shorting leads does same thing as pressing button). I soldered a wire to each lead, connecting one to GND on my arduino, and the other to pin 1, which sent a pulsing signal. All I am doing is automating the ENTER-pressing process.

So, the arduino hits the ENTER button, the relay clicks, the display remains blank, and it repeats. After running for 45 minutes, the display began to turn on for half a second, then the main relay would not power up again(If you get this far, you're in the home stretch!). Awesome, I unplugged the receiver, plugged it back in, and it cycled on and off with the display flashing for 5 times or so. I continued this process, five minutes later, the receiver was staying on. Turned off ECO mode and I'm back in buisness!

Related, don't short across the relay to "bypass power protection circuitry", high risk of electrocution and probably won't work.

tl;dr: Either it starts turning on after mashing ENTER button in two minutes(difficulty of repair(1/10), or it will take an hour(difficulty of repair: 5/10). I automated button-pressing, you could always pay your stupid kid neighbor $5 to press a button for an hour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My device is an AV-DV75 which I can't imagine is much different. You all helped me a lot so I wanted to contribute too! I tried the enter button trick and my finger almost fell off so I decided to try to jump the relay instead. And it worked! First off let me say that I tinker a lot and in no way do I know anything about this device but I am a forum vampire so I soak up as much info as I can and then I'll talk haha :) this thread is probably the most helpful I've ever read about anything. I want to especially thank Cindy for asking that question or else I would have been sitting here for a longer while... Probably lacking my index finger! Lol

OK so here is what I did..

I found the diagram for this tv8 relay and I jumped contact 1 to contact 4. The other relays clicked for a bit and my head was down like Charlie Brown.

I unplugged and retried this and I kept the device on for about 3 min. Just clicking away... Unplugged again and plugged it back in one more time and the display kicked on!! So I quickly shut off eco mode and it has been working fine for about an hour now. I can imagine that I am more prone to surges now but the device is 12 years old.. Who cares!!. Its going in my garage so i can play music as i fix other things :-D

Hope I have helped some one! Godspeed!!

Edit: yes I switched the contact numbers in the diagram by accident.. Things get crazy when u take pics upside down! Oops :) just jump those :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

This has all been very helpful. I pulled mine apart and could not figure out the issue. so I went back to basics and just tried a new outlet/surge protector combo, just powered up as normal, no need to hit enter.

thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts