Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i recently saw a 50' AKAI #PT50DL14 @ Costco for $1699.99 (with stand).

i was wondering if anything knows anything about this tv? after doing some research, apparently AKAI is a marketing company and this tv is basically a samsung HLR5067W. Should i consider this tv or go with the major brand ones?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw this TV at Costco also and was trying to find some information on it. info is hard to come by. Anyone have or know anything about this tv?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Akai is a Japanese co. that has mfg. mid fi audio gear for many years. Their specality was audio recording equipment including high end pro cassette recorders as well as reel to reel multi track recorders.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one from Costco 12-24-05 - their return policy is amazing. The stand is heavier than the TV and the setup was minimal. Picture is excellent and the brightness is stunning. The local COMCAST CABLE HD programs are limited unless you pay for premium services. Now figuring how to connect a Mac iBook G4.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A local electronics store,Conn's is selling an Akai DLP 46' for very slightly over a grand with DVI,component and VGA inputs.

Problem is I kind find ANY info on it.

EDIT:I finally found it:

http://inktomi-cnet.com.com/AKAI_PT_...46%22&tag=feed

Anyone owned this TV? I found one review at Amazon and all he did was ***** about not having anything HD to use on it.LOL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
D-X,

I recently purchased this tv from Fry's for 3 bills less than the Conn's price :) It is a good tv overall. There are some minor quirks like loosing sync when switching between 1080 and 720 but overall nothing terribly wrong. However, my set's DVI interface was shot when I bought it. It would not display any pc over DVI and cable over dvi didn't work right either. I called Akai support ( www.akaiusa.com ) and they told me that the DVI failure was a common problem and set me up with a local repair shop.

The tv is insanely bright, does a good job with scaling and de-interlacing, allows good flexibility in inputs, and is overall a solid performer. It does not have user-friendly menus, the video adjustments are rather crude, and it has some trouble when switching input sources.

I would definitely recommend it for the $850 price tag that I paid, but for $1100 after tax I'd be tempted to search online for others.

Russell

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought the 50' AKAI #PT50DL14 from Costco.

I love the TV. I thought it was just as good as the other known brand sets like Samsung and Sony. Plus it was was like way less than the Samsung.

I have an issue between my cable box every once in awhile thinking that my TV isn't HDCP compliant, but with a minor unplug of the HDMI cable in and out, it fixes the problem. I'm wondering why this is happening, but I've read a few posts and might investigate the cable box settings more and the TV.

If anyone has any clues, please let me know. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the same problem with my DVI>HDMI from my Comcast DCT6200 STB to my new PT50DL14.

What fixed my problem was setting my HD mode to 720p and 480 over ride to 480i or "OFF". Also, it took about 5 hot plugs and unplugs to get it to recognize anyway, so there might be a bug there too...

·
Registered
14 Posts
bought this tv for 1199 CDN with stand and honestly love it, cant go wrong with it, 6000 hour bulb life, good overall value, you really cant complain at that price for a DLP

also anyone know what are good settings for this TV?

·
Registered
69 Posts
just thought i'd chime in here. i don't own an akai dlp set, however i have owned an akai 42" crt rptv model pt4299hd since may of 05, and i absolutely love it. the only thing i'm bumming about is the lack of hdmi or dvi inputs, only component for hd, but other than that, for the 800 bucks i paid for it, the picture quality is phenominal. i'd recommend akai to those on a budget looking for good bang for the buck in a tv. however, if you have the means, you may want to look at other brands, as you will step up in quality going w/a brand like sony or a number of other makes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.