AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for a replacement bedroom TV, nothing fancy. The current one is a 20" Symphonic piece of crap. But it lasted over 10 years, so I shouldn't complain.

Anyway, Sam's Club has a 24" Flat Screen TV from Akai for $280. Is this set worth it for the money? Some things on the side of the box:

Digital comb filter (it may have said 3-line), that's good right?

800 lines of horizontal resolution (Can some explain this. How is this helpful with regular old cable?)

There were other things, but I forget now. The picture looked good, main concern is will it last 10+ years, too.

Thanks!

-j

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good advice about the brightness/contrast.

Does anyone care to explain the "800 lines of horizontal resolution'? Is this just marketing hype or something that is useful. I thought a standard, analog cable signal was something like 540 lines. How does having 800 lines help? Or am I way off base here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That, I dunno anything about, but Akai **may** be talking about something discussed in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=143285

My best advice (are you ready)?:

$280 is not a fantastic amount of money to spend on a TV anymore. You know this since you have looked at some already. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the numbers. The only major feature I would be worried about is whether it has an S-Video input. That *will* make a diff since VHS is on it's way out, DVD is on it's way in and S-Video is much better for external boxes like DVD Players and (maybe someday affordable DTV Set Top boxes). For $280, I would think you would get S-Video.

But you won't be able to get near HDTV for under many more thousands than you want to spend and I would look at this purchase as an interim 5-7 year deal until the prices drop out of the stratosphere.

Other than that, let your eye be your guide. There they all are, lined up. Which one looks the best? Other than S-Video, and PIP (which most people don't use anyway) the 2-way/3-way blah blah features are already turned on and being shown to you. If they make a better picture or not will be apparent.

By the way, the best time to evaluate is when sports shows are on with a lot of high motion. Those combs only kick in with high motion. So go down there are a Saturday or Sunday and if they have the tubes set on an old movie, ask nicely to have them change the station to basketball or something.

Oh, and when you are looking, realize a brightly lit with florescent warehouse type floor is not the optimum condition. Also realize that the guys take them out of the box and plug them in. Chances are you can better picture in your home **and** by doing what I said in the previous post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.