AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on the Akai PT4299HD? Let's say a person could get it for under $1000 new.


I know it doesn't have any DVI or HDMI inputs, which is bad. But is this a decent TV overall? Seems like a good price for 42" HDTV.


TIA from a NooB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I used to own a Samsung model HCM-4215W which is exactly the same unit as the Akai 42" that you mentioned about. It is a decent HDTV for a small room. If you don't crazy about all those HDMI, DVI, etc inputs, this one is just fine. Picture looks really good with the HD signal and normal (no complain) for the SD signal.


Hope this info help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nnn
I used to own a Samsung model HCM-4215W which is exactly the same unit as the Akai 42" that you mentioned about. It is a decent HDTV for a small room. If you don't crazy about all those HDMI, DVI, etc inputs, this one is just fine. Picture looks really good with the HD signal and normal (no complain) for the SD signal.


Hope this info help.
Thanks nnn, much appreciated. I need to go see one of these myself I guess.


I did see a 52-inch RCA at Walmart for only $200 more, so I might consider that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
well, bought the HCN4226W (samsung) at Sears. So far I've been pretty pleased and got it at a great price (floor model, close out model). Only real complaint is no optical audio out. suggest taking a look at it.


-J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
The TV is great IMO. If you do a search, you'll find a handful of akai RPTV owners. Since CRT's are analog I don't see real any advantage in DVI input unless your DAC on the HDTV receiver or DVD player suck. It's debatable about the advantage in regards to upscaling. but I have no complaints with upscaled 480p -> 1080i DVD movies.


The only thing I wish it had was: more custom color profiles, and a non-silver shell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
uclajd - The PT4299HD is actually the equivalent of the Samsung HC-P4241W, not the HCM-4215W (an older model). Also, if you want to go for a bigger screen, the 47" version of that Akai model can be had for around the same price from Costco.


pack66 - congrats on your purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Trinitone
uclajd - The PT4299HD is actually the equivalent of the Samsung HC-P4241W, not the HCM-4215W (an older model). Also, if you want to go for a bigger screen, the 47" version of that Akai model can be had for around the same price from Costco.
Thanks, this is great info. Might have to take my Dad up on his offer to use his Costco card. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
uclajd


Is this TV a high definition TV and what will your signal sources be?


Reason for asking is that if its HD and you intend to use either satellite or cable, its possible and even probable that the satellite/cable companies will enforce something called HDCP, high definition copy protection. If the set is not DVI or HDMI with HDCP, then it would not be able to receive their HD transmissions. A work around would be to use the SD output of their set top box, but thats not what you get a HD set for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jim, this is something that had not occured to me. I will definitely pass on this and find a TV with DVI or HDMI.


Man these copyright Nazis are taking over the world. :mad:

Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
uclajd


Is this TV a high definition TV and what will your signal sources be?


Reason for asking is that if its HD and you intend to use either satellite or cable, its possible and even probable that the satellite/cable companies will enforce something called HDCP, high definition copy protection. If the set is not DVI or HDMI with HDCP, then it would not be able to receive their HD transmissions. A work around would be to use the SD output of their set top box, but thats not what you get a HD set for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I don't think HDCP is used for HD compatibility, only to prevent the copying of HD materail through HD copy media like D-VHS and soon to be released HD-DVD. By the time HD is in full stream and ATSC is in complete compliance with FCC regs in reference to digital broadcast, you may very well be ready to upgrade to a set with HDMI/DVI. Your component video input (HD capable=with a bandwith of 57mhz or more for 720p and 1080i) would suffice. HDMI/DVI allows a complete digital to digital connection and minimizes any analog conversion and according to some the difference in the picture may not be discernable by the naked eye. If you or the person interested in purchasing this set go for it. It's the right price, my brother in law has the 47 inch model from costco and is happy. I will be making a trip to his house to calibrate it with VE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
For starters, you can pass HD material to the TV via component connections, so there is no need to worry about not having DVI/HDMI in that regard.


If you do want to make sure you have DVI/HDMI, check out the Samsung HC-P4752 @ Sam's Club. That's the route I took and I am very pleased.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top