AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and found nothing relevant.

I'm asking on behalf of a friend for help wiring this amp/pre-amp system. I've wired surround receivers before, but not a stereo setup like this and not separate amp/pre-amp units. Add to this the fact that this piece of equipment is older than I am. It supposedly worked before last being unhooked, so I'm assuming I'm not wiring it correctly.

Pre-amp

Amp

(Sorry for crappy cell phone pics; hopefully the labeling helps)

I've tried a few different configurations and nothing happens. Both units turn on, but no sound and no apparent input (the amp has an analog visualizer but the needles don't move). Obviously I know how to connect the speakers and the various input devices, but from there I'm confused as hell. If it makes a difference to anybody, the pre-amp and amp are Akai (Pioneer) SPEC-1 and SPEC-4 units, respectively. Speakers were verified to be functional, as was the output on the television. Any help is vastly appreciated because I'm freaking stumped.

Only trying to see if it works; I know it will not function as a surround receiver.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am I missing something? It should be pretty simple, you use a pair of RCA connectors to go from the output on the Pre-amp and then connect them to the inputs on the amp and then hook the speakers up to the speaker binding posts on the amp. Nothing any different from a multi-channel setup, just fewer channels.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy /forum/post/15578092

If it makes a difference to anybody, the pre-amp and amp are Akai (Pioneer) SPEC-1 and SPEC-4 units, respectively.

how can something be both "akai (pioneer)"? they are not related.

it has to be one or the other.

answer-the spec-1 and spec-4 units are pioneer. there is no akai in that equation.

forgive me that my little rant doesnt help your problem.

good luck!

plus-what tpnbobcats said. sounds reasonable.

also, try another set of cables.

check fuses if they're accessible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are connecting your speakers up to the pre-amp rather than the power amp you will have no joy. In order for that to work you have to run a connection back to the pre-amp from the speaker outputs on the power amp.

For a simple set up:

1. run an RCA lead from pre-amp to power amp

2. connect speakers to power-amp

3. dial up the input you are using

4. make sure the volume/gain controls on the power-amp are up half way or so

5. bring the volume control of the pre-amp up slowly

A trap I fell into was testing the SPEC-1 with head phones, it does not work as the SPEC-one has no headphone amp and relies on a feed from the power amp to work.

Nigel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/15713507

how can something be both "akai (pioneer)"? they are not related.

it has to be one or the other.

also, try another set of cables.

check fuses if they're accessible.

I swear I read somewhere that Akai was a branch company of Pioneer at some point whilst searching online for the manual. I believe the tape deck or tuner that he bought with this (it was a set) said Akai, so it's entirely possible that my mind fabricated a connection. Also, I've tried other cables and the ones I'm using have been tested and are functional. Fuse is intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelkirkby /forum/post/15722114

For a simple set up:

1. run an RCA lead from pre-amp to power amp

2. connect speakers to power-amp

3. dial up the input you are using

4. make sure the volume/gain controls on the power-amp are up half way or so

5. bring the volume control of the pre-amp up slowly

No dice on sound, but the needles are the amp are actually moving to what appears to be a beat; that's more response than I've had thus far. Any other suggestions you can offer as to why I'm not getting sound output? At this point (the needles are responding on the amp), I can't help but think that something is simply connected incorrectly.

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy /forum/post/15730872

I swear I read somewhere that Akai was a branch company of Pioneer at some point whilst searching online for the manual. I believe the tape deck or tuner that he bought with this (it was a set) said Akai, so it's entirely possible that my mind fabricated a connection. Also, I've tried other cables and the ones I'm using have been tested and are functional. Fuse is intact.

No dice on sound, but the needles are the pre-amp are actually moving to what appears to be a beat; that's more response than I've had thus far. Any other suggestions you can offer as to why I'm not getting sound output? At this point (the needles are responding on the pre-amp), I can't help but think that something is simply connected incorrectly.

Thanks for the help so far!

To what and how do you have the speakers connected?

BTW, the meters/needles are on the power amp, not preamp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speakers are connected to the power amp (yeah, got that mixed up with the needles) with standard 14-gauge speaker wire. I'm only using one; logic tells me that only using one instead of two shouldn't matter, but I'll toss it in just in case my logic is incorrect.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Directly to the power amp, right? Not any of the terminals on the preamp, yes?

It shouldn't matter to getting some sound, but you'll be missing half the sound from the channel that's not hooked up.

I hate to ask, but you do have the speaker connected to the + and - terminals of just one channel on the amp?

Are you sure the speaker works?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Directly to the power amp, not the pre-amp. I know I'll be missing half the sound on the other channel, but since I'm just trying to get sound at all, I didn't feel like shifting two speakers around with every different configuration. Terminals are connected to one channel (I checked to be sure, even though I was positive already, haha). And I'm sure the speaker works (had it hooked up to my own stereo before hooking it up to test this).

May be worth mentioning that the needle was moving only slightly; it wasn't jumping like equalizers usually do, but was only jumping from about -40 to -30 decibels and back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bumping in hopes of a reply. Should I assume at this point that it's broken? Could it possibly be that my inputs (a DVD player and a Playstation 2) simply aren't compatible with it (makes no sense to me given that it hooks up via RCA cables, but hey, nigelkirkby apparently discovered that headphones aren't compatible so I guess it's possible)?

Appreciate all the help from everybody! Getting it to work would be nice, but if it isn't happening then I'm almost hoping it's broken so I can finally get the thing out of my floor and tell him to throw it on eBay or something.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Raise the level on the power amp if it has one? Its not uncommon to have to turn the power amp level up almost all the way. Obviously start testing with the preamp volume set to min and then raise it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15889934

Raise the level on the power amp if it has one? Its not uncommon to have to turn the power amp level up almost all the way. Obviously start testing with the preamp volume set to min and then raise it.

Thus far, I've tried:

Starting with pre-amp max and slowly raising amp

Starting with amp levels max and slowly raising pre-amp

Slowly raising both

Somebody please tell me it's broken so I can stop...lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts