AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Akira (Special Edition) last night, with not mouch to expect. I was totally wrong. I enjoy watch anime flick some times, namely Blue Submarine, Pricess Mononoke to name a few. But none as good as Akira. The story is not for everybody, that for sure, but if you like wild imagination, sci-fi, this I think you should see.

Eventhough this movies was made in 1988, I enjoy it more than Final Fantasy. Not only story wise, but also visual/audio wise, a proove that bleeding edge technology while can make the visual very impressive but do very little to the whole experience as in the case of Final Fantasy.

I'm looking to see another anime, can anybody recommend one or two?

regards,

adzan

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I thought Akira was excellent, but the EE on this transfer is the worst in my entire collection (over 500)

I"m not much on anime unless it has a good story, and very little of it does, most of it's just vehicle for sex & violence (nothing wrong with that if it's in context)

You might try Ghost in the Shell...Grave of the Fireflies...Vampire Hunter D.

Besides those three, Akira and Princess Mononoke I haven't found any others with a story worth owning...yet...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
I"m not much on anime unless it has a good story, and very little of it does, most of it's just vehicle for sex & violence (nothing wrong with that if it's in context)
I think the problem is that those are the type of anime that sell in America, thus, that's what is released here most of the time.

Those are some good recommendations, "Ghost in the Shell" is definetly another must see if you like "Akira".

Though it definitly falls in a separate category, by far the best Japanese animation is made by Studio Ghibli ("Princess Mononoke", "Grave of the Fireflies"). If you can get your hands on them check out:
  • "Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind" (coming to Region 2 DVD next year), I really can't wait for this one!

"Laputa: Castle In the Sky" (also next year in R2)

"My Neighbor Totoro" (currently available in R2)

"Kiki's Delivery Service" (currently available in R2)

"My Neighbors the Yamadas" (currently available in R2).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Akira is indeed a great film. I was lucky enough to see it in a movie theater when it played in New York.

Other good anime films

Ghost in the Shell

Princess Mononoke

Grave of the Fireflies

Vampire Hunter D

Panda Go Panda (cute kids film)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
I've hear there is a studio ghibli box set selling in HK that is region 0. English subtitles included.
That's not a legal release, though there are some legitimate R3 DVD releases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.