AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, this is the progress of my basement so far, getting close. Was completely unfinished when we moved in. Gotta get some end tables yet, a few more things for the wall, lighting for over the bar and lighting over the pool table which I hope to have by the Super Bowl. Have a bathroom and another spare room down here which the wife is set on filling up with books

Here is my potpourri of equipment:

Samsung PN58C590 Plasma on VideoSecu Articulating mount

Dish TV VIP211K w/500GB external HDD

PS3

Wii

Denon AVR 890

Fronts: Jamo S606

Center: DCM TP160C

Rears: Polk RM7

Sub: Polk PSW 506

I know speakers are supposed to match, but I am really in heaven with how this sounds. Listened to many center channels and ended up with the DCM, thought it sounded better than models 3x its price. Needed to keep the fronts in the $500 range and couldn't find anything that sounded better than the Jamo's.

Naively purchased the sub months ago without doing much researching for $200. It honestly does the job pretty good except it gets killed on the real low frequencies and farts a lot. Looking to upgrade it to an ED A2-300 or A3-300, but its about the last thing on my list now.

Got the rear surrounds from a buddy for a set of atv handguards. I think they fill the rear stage quite well.

No universal remote, doubt I'll get one, manage just fine with 2. I also have a Logitech bluetooth keyboard that works with my PS3 and my laptop which I have a HDMI cable behind one of the entertainment center doors so I can just plug in my laptop and watch www.atdhe.net !

My listening is probably 10% music, 40% gaming, & 50% HT.

I have all video sources running through the Denon and HDMI to the TV. I have it upscale everything to 1080p. Very very impressed with the TV picture, sound not so much. Have a Toshiba Cinema Series 62HMX95? upstairs, DLP. The plasma crushes it in picture quality. Center couch is 12ft away from TV, 10 ft if I yank the TV out!

Overall this is the best setup I've ever had and I'm extremely happy with how it sounds, looks, & performs! I know this isn't even in the AAA League compared to some of your setups so I can only imagine how those look and sound! Here are a bunch of pics:

So you know where you are going:

Caution!

View from Pool table area:

Seating Area:

Bar Area:

To be pool table area:

Rears:

Old school and you can see the battery for the backup sump pump so no more floods. Notice the water marks on the old Pioneers from this summer, thankfully before flooring was installed:

Got our pool table just in time for my Packers to win the Super Bowl! This shot was taken a few hrs before our Super Bowl party kicked off! The table is an Olhausen Belmont with Burgundy cloth. Boy, this could've been some nice speakers and amp! Sorry, this is a cell pic.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is what I came from upstairs:

Toshiba 62HMX95 I think, 62" DLP

Onkyo 6 disc dvd

Yamaha HTR-5230

Some old Pioneer 5 1/2" bookshelfs & center channel from Circuit City circa 2002 or so

There is a wimpy sub that came with the Yamaha hiding behind the TV

Dish TV HD/dual tuner DVR for this TV & bedroom

Can't miss the Christmas decorations either!

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I am way jealous. I need me a man cave more than you know. My wife is a girl, her 11 and 14 year old daughters are girls, our 2 and half year old daughter is a girl, my wife's dog is, you guessed it, a *****. I sold my 1200 sq ft house when we married four months ago and moved into the house my wife rents (preferred school district). Smaller than my house, my man cave for the time being is our bedroom. My loving, adorable wife, allows me to have my 50" plasma, Onk 807 with blu-ray and 7.2 set up however I want it. It'll be like this for a year as we save for our own house. At that time, I'll have my own man cave and my wife even promised me we could have a 3.0 in the new bedroom, love that woman.

By the way, your cave is awesome, please send me an invite to help set up the new pool table

·
Registered
224 Posts
Love the setup. I like the movie posters mixed with sports memorabilia. I gotta ask though, what is that thing on your bar? I stared at it for a while and my imagination went to town on it. It looks like a long necked bird wearing a scarf standing behind a beer mug.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys! That contraption you are looking at is some kind of wood snowman Christmas decoration the wife put up. If you didn't notice she got her Twilight poster too. This man cave is about 3 years in the making. Brought in a contractor to do the plastering to match the upstairs and to do some of the finish work so it looked good. I did about 85% of the work, minus the flooring. Only one trip to the ER too! You know a 10d framing nail will go about half way through the middle of the bone in your finger?

You'll have your setup before you know it Geoff! Only the wife, her cat, one dog Bailey the Boxer (*****), and Dozer the Bullmastiff (still has his nuts).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow it looks awesome! Just missing the "No Girls Allowed" on the door

I need to move up north just so I can have a basement and do something like what you have. I live in Florida, so a basement would just be an indoor pool.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHaddya do
I guess I'll have to call it the neutered man cave, don't think the twilight poster is going anywhere. Wife thinks it's extra cool because our last name is Cullen. The rest of her contributions to color selection have turned out really good, so I have to take the good with the bad. She found the beware of wife sign too and picked it up for me and got me 4 of the Packer pictures I have down there that I like a lot.

If I'd have picked colors the trim would be stained and all of the walls would be white and her ideas look way better. Been a lot more good than bad with her basement contributions, she's batting about .950 with everything.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Nice mancave, all you need is a stripper pole when the wife is away!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat /forum/post/19611891

Nice mancave, all you need is a stripper pole when the wife is away!

Or teach the wife to use it....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wow pretty cool

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's a very nice space! I like how neat it is, and the equipment is impressive. I am jealous of your basement though.. in Australia we don't tend to have them so there is no underground theater for us

·
Registered
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2fast
thanks for all of the comments!

didn't plan for a stripper pole, but I bet I could stick one in and give the wife a few instructions! haha
You know how to use the stripper pole and can teach your wife?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.