AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Very Crude Drawing For Reference only!

All Walls are 2x6 Except for the wall with the window 2x4?

I know its a rough picture I need to get my digital camera out of storage, the picture is looking from where the projector screen will be going towards the seating area.

Speakers: Sonance Cinema Ultra's (bought got a good deal)

SUB: Still looking

Audio Equipment: Still Looking

Screen: Plan on 2.35:1 DIY

Seats: Still Looking

This is my first Dedicated hometheater. I told my wife when we starting building our house all I want is 360 Sq Ft of the house (she gets the other 90%) for my man cave. I will have lots of questions over the build and I appoligize in advanced I will try to find the questions first before asking but I may bounce things off of everyone.

I am working on the framing and will have columns on the walls to hold the speakers.

My first question is how far from the back wall should I have my first row of seats. I built 4 columns already but want to make sure they are in a good location for where I have planned for my seating.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Side Walls and Rear Wall I know will need to be doubled walled for sound. The wall with the window is an exterior wall do I need to double wall this also?

For anyone who cares the initial thread for the next 3 weeks will be slow. I am building my own house...With the help of some Key Subs. Starting Monday the painters are going to realease the house to me so I can lay 3400Sq Ft of Hardwood and Travertine. I hope to close on the house early part of Feb!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zero progress made today, and no additional pics.....Someone thought they wanted my framing nailer and 3 finish nailers more then me....it was stolen! Used it yesterday and was gone this morning, I have a suspect but he denies it. Being that the rest of the house is 90% complete its all locked up. No sign of forced entry and all windows locked. I have one hidden key for the subs but only the lead on each crew know where I put it. So with a police report made and pawn shops notified I hope it will all turn up.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybuck64 /forum/post/15582721

Zero progress made today, and no additional pics.....Someone thought they wanted my framing nailer and 3 finish nailers more then me....it was stolen! Used it yesterday and was gone this morning, I have a suspect but he denies it. Being that the rest of the house is 90% complete its all locked up. No sign of forced entry and all windows locked. I have one hidden key for the subs but only the lead on each crew know where I put it. So with a police report made and pawn shops notified I hope it will all turn up.

That sucks! I would buy a deadbolt from home depot and put a door on the laundry room or some similar small room and lock all your tools up in that room when you leave. I didn't build my own house, but I did have a lot of tools and stuff here when they were building it so I kept it all in their own little room.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is a excellent Idea. Who ever took it new where things where. Its weird is all they took where the nail guns. I had all my drills, saws ect all right there and that is all they grabbed. I was using a framing nailer earlier that day and left it in the master bathroom. They grabbed it from there and the case to it which was in another room?

Questions

#1 My first question is how far from the back wall should I have my first row of seats.

#2 The Side Walls and Rear Wall I know will need to be doubled walled for sound. The wall with the window is an exterior wall do I need to double wall this also?

#3 On the other threads I see that if you are going to have columns people are builing them after the sheet rock has been installed. How will it effect sound quality if I first build them and then place sheet rock over the top?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I just learned how to use this software....Google Sketchup.

General Idea of what I am going for. (not these colors though)

I do plan on a 10' wide screen.

Different view Blue soffit is currently 6'7'' high, first red on ceiling is 9' going up to 10' in middle where I plan the star field cieling.

Technical data:

-My projector throw 14'

-Rear seat needs to be 4' 8'' from back wall will that be a problem?

-On the double walls I have 2 existing double wall but there is a 2 foot gap beetween each wall

On the lower right you can see a column and soffit that I built.

#4 I was reading in another post about placing your columns and Soffits over the top of the Drywall? Why is this? Should I take this down and put it back up after I hang the sheet rock. Or can I go around it. Pro's/Cons of either way?

Is that to much of a gap between walls or should I put another Wall.

Open Questions:

#1 My first question is how far from the back wall should I have my first row of seats.

#2 The Side Walls and Rear Wall I know will need to be doubled walled for sound. The wall with the window is an exterior wall do I need to double wall this also?

#3 On the other threads I see that if you are going to have columns people are building them after the sheet rock has been installed. How will it effect sound quality if I first build them and then place sheet rock over the top?

I really need help on this project. I am handy with the tools but have no clue on the way to make the room sound the best. I spent 4 hours today trying to look for my answer but no such luck. Any one else out there from L.A., Panhandle or Lower GA?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybuck64 /forum/post/15591843

#3 On the other threads I see that if you are going to have columns people are building them after the sheet rock has been installed. How will it effect sound quality if I first build them and then place sheet rock over the top?

I really need help on this project. I am handy with the tools but have no clue on the way to make the room sound the best. I spent 4 hours today trying to look for my answer but no such luck. Any one else out there from L.A., Panhandle or Lower GA?

Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer any of these, but I'll post what I've read elsewhere and hopefully someone more versed will respond too.

1) I read that seats should be 38% from the back wall or front wall, but try to avoid the dead center of the room.

2) I would double wall everything. Some also use green glue in between the drywall.

3) I think they do it that way to better isolate the sound.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need some expert direction to take this project. I have searched Sandman thread what are some other high quality threads to follow? Any acoustic experts willing to lend a helping hand on developing a plan? Any help would be huge thanks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
1. Your seating distance will depend upon how big of a screen you want to use. How big are you planning on going?

2. Double walling is for sound isolation, not sound quality... in other words, to keep the rest of the house from hearing what is in the room. I wouldn't think this would be necessary at all to do for an exterior wall.

3. Most people use their columns to house their speakers in and end up covering with acoustic materials and fabric. If I were you, I'd wait before drywalling your columns. This will give you far more flexibility later. For sound quality, you'll need to figure out a way to treat your walls with sound absorbing material. Bass traps in each corner, Dense insulation in your stage and riser, and acoustical foam or rigid fiberglass on your walls from floor to ear level.

4. I see you have attic space above your room... Have you considered an infinite baffle subwoofer?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry, I just saw the 10' wide screen line under one of the pics... Most people seem to believe that a 1.2x viewing ratio is about right... That means, 1.2 times the width of your screen. With a 10 foot screen, that would place the eyes of the front row at about 12 feet from the screen. Your second row would be at about 18 or 19 feet from the screen...

Can I ask why you put your door in the center of the rear wall? It would be better to move it to one side of the theater...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

I had to put the door in the center. There is a bathroom on one side of the rear wall and the stair way going downstairs is on the other.

Infinite baffle subwoofer...What is this.

Thanks for your guys help, more questions coming soon

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have you thought about possibly installing a pocket door instead of a swing door? That would free up that swing space...

An Infinite Baffle Subwoofer is a sub that you can place in the attic space. Basically, instead of using a "box", it uses the attic or some other space separated from your room as the box... The results are astonishing if you like LFE... It really creates a whole higher level of movie watching experience. If interested, you can go to the following site for more info:

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

This is the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled... A guy named ThomasW is THE authoritative source on IB subwoofers. There are lots of pics there including my own installation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have not been able to do alot of reasrch on but how will it effect sound in house by using attic. will it still isolate it to theater room. my attic extends the whole upstairs....30x70 will that effect how it works. i will definatly look into it. if i build iy myself how does the cost compaire to 2 quality stand alone subs. i know resarch more will answer alot of questions but its hard to navigate using my cell phone. thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
Where is the theater in regards to the rest of the house? I don't think any effective sub can really be isolated no matter what you do. There is a lot of insulation in the attic that should absorb the sound waves, but an earthquake experience in your theater will be felt elsewhere...

As far as costs go, I don't know what you consider to be "quality" stand alone subs. I personally have eight (yes EIGHT) 15 inch sub drivers powered by a Behringer EP-2500 amplifier... total cost for the sub was about $1,100 for the equipment plus the minimal cost of the wood to make the manifold. From a performance standpoint, no one or even two stand alone subwoofers, no matter who makes them or what they cost, can compete with my sub. You wouldn't have to do something as dramatic as mine, but you can certainly achieve very impressive results for $700 - $800 total.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will look into the pocket door idea...i would have to reroute plumbing in bathroom but that would be no problem. I was looking at getting one maybe 2 Triad 18" Platinum subs. I am wanting the best theater results and have no problem trying out this type sub...does anyone else have any pros/cons using or hearing an IB sub setup. My main focus is for hometheater/TV. sitting and listening to music does suit me i cant sit still longenough. the room is over the garage/laundry room/ master shower. thanks again i am leaning on the forum members with the help of the build i would love it to be somthing that if headed to panama city florida you would want to swing by and check it out (im 45 miles fromthe beach) buck

·
Registered
726 Posts
Alright, I just checked out the price of the Triad Platinum... My friend, you can take a lot less money than it would cost to buy just one of those and build yourself one hellacious IB subwoofer... If you wanted to go all out, you could purchase eight 18" IB drivers and two Behringer EP-2500 amplifiers for about the same money as just one of those Triads and the IB you would create would leave the pair of Triads tipped over with the voice coils crying out "no more... please... don't beat us any more..."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts