AVS Forum banner

6641 - 6660 of 6742 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
He got back to me........saying it's on an IP stream, and will need to check some settings on Monday, to see if it's "supposed" to be in 4:3. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, Gloversville viewers are complaining that it's gone from WFNY.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very excited to have reliable reception of Antenna TV! We now have the trifecta of classic tv: MeTV, Decades, & Antenna TV 📺 🎉

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very excited to have reliable reception of Antenna TV! We now have the trifecta of classic tv: MeTV, Decades, & Antenna TV 📺 🎉
Yes....unless WNYT finds reason to tinker w/WNYA. This is a cautionary "fingers-crossed" that Decades remains where it is. And let's also hope that WTEN gets the aspect right!!! (right now it's awful)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wish I could get Decades reliably. WYNA is iffy in the Berkshires. Ironic since it is licensed to Pittsfield.

There is a problem with Antenna TV. Anytime there is motion, it scrambles. getTV is fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wish I could get Decades reliably. WYNA is iffy in the Berkshires. Ironic since it is licensed to Pittsfield.

There is a problem with Antenna TV. Anytime there is motion, it scrambles. getTV is fine.
NYA has been weaker lately north of Saratoga Springs too. The same with XXA. Sometimes there is pixelization on all subs and the main with both. They were both fine until the 30" storm. I thought it may have been the snow on my roof but that has since melted. All other stations are normal. Heck I'm even receive VER frequently which is almost from the back side of my antenna.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks, but I can't seem to find this one anywhere. I am going to take a look at the antenna djbrian is using, it looks promising.
This just came back in stock so I ordered it should have by January 11th. Thanks for the link!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
COL means diddly. They still transmit from Heldebergs.
Did not know that. FCC rules used to be the station must maintain a studio within 25 miles of the COL, maintain a local or toll free number, have broadcast coverage for the COL, and make public documents available somewhere within 25 miles of the COL. The intent when the FCC expanded licenses was to serve underserved rural and suburban areas.

I knew the current FCC got rid of the studio rule, they may have gotten rid of the others at well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Did not know that. FCC rules used to be the station must maintain a studio within 25 miles of the COL, maintain a local or toll free number, have broadcast coverage for the COL, and make public documents available somewhere within 25 miles of the COL. The intent when the FCC expanded licenses was to serve underserved rural and suburban areas.

I knew the current FCC got rid of the studio rule, they may have gotten rid of the others at well.
A few of our contributors here know the rules about this much better than me. But yeah, it seems the COL has become much less of an importance in recent years.

According to the signal contour, Pittsfield is supposed to receive prime coverage. RabbitEars.Info

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder when one of my TV's will update 10.3 to Antenna? I have an older Samsung where it's already switched. But my much newer LG still lists it as Justice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 2016 LG 55" smart TV. My suggestion for the newer LG. Go into your menu and delete the channel in your saved channel list, then go to the manual tuner, tune to the RF and then it should be corrected. In your particular firmware, you may have to ADD it to the channel list. It should update the PSIP. It sounds like it's still showing you the old PSIP data.

I had an LD station (carries 10 channels) and they were off a couple days. The LG completely dropped them and they wouldn't tune in. I went into the manual setup and tuned the RF for them and boom, they were back. It was driving my wife nuts because the other TVs in the house were tuning the LD signal just fine.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

Reactions: NYota1

·
Registered
127 Posts
If streaming can be done to the home properly, why isn't it working at the TV station which has more resources than Joe Smoe at home?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a 2016 LG 55" smart TV. My suggestion for the newer LG. Go into your menu and delete the channel in your saved channel list, then go to the manual tuner, tune to the RF and then it should be corrected. In your particular firmware, you may have to ADD it to the channel list. It should update the PSIP. It sounds like it's still showing you the old PSIP data.

I had an LD station (carries 10 channels) and they were off a couple days. The LG completely dropped them and they wouldn't tune in. I went into the manual setup and tuned the RF for them and boom, they were back. It was driving my wife nuts because the other TVs in the house were tuning the LD signal just fine.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri
Thanks! I'm responding under my regular account. Anyway, not sure why I didn't think of that, but yes, now it's showing the correct channel. Now it just needs to update the programming.

·
Registered
390 Posts

IIRC, I believe it was the 15 mile rule. So replacing 25 with 15 in all the above statements puts you on the nose. I also believe the COL had to have "A-grade" reception of its TV station, too. This was all changed amid the first round of broadcast deregulation in the mid-1980's. As a result, for example, WNET sold their TV studio in Newark (their COL) and consolidated operations in NYC. There has been so much more deregulation since then, that it's hard to keep up.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Also keep in mind WNYA is still broadcasting from a temporary antenna about 100 feet lower on the tower, so what you're seeing right now is not what their final signal will be like.

6641 - 6660 of 6742 Posts