AVS Forum banner

6661 - 6680 of 6742 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
IIRC, I believe it was the 15 mile rule. So replacing 25 with 15 in all the above statements puts you on the nose. I also believe the COL had to have "A-grade" reception of its TV station, too. This was all changed amid the first round of broadcast deregulation in the mid-1980's. As a result, for example, WNET sold their TV studio in Newark (their COL) and consolidated operations in NYC. There has been so much more deregulation since then, that it's hard to keep up.
Thanks. Obviously we are in a different world now with cable, satellite, IP services. They could technical originate from anywhere, with copyright being the restricting factor. What the Congress needs to address is orphaned counties like the Berkshires in streaming, cable, and satellite services.

Senator Leahy was able to do this for VT, if you live anywhere in VT, you can receive Burlington stations in addition to those in you DMA via service provider. IP and others services should be allowed to sell us (in the Berkshires) Boston or Springfield stations so we have access to MA news on TV. Some would say it's irrelevant with the internet, but for someone used to getting their news on TV or watching irrelevant political ads, it is not.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Also keep in mind WNYA is still broadcasting from a temporary antenna about 100 feet lower on the tower, so what you're seeing right now is not what their final signal will be like.
I did not know that. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks. Obviously we are in a different world now with cable, satellite, IP services. They could technical originate from anywhere, with copyright being the restricting factor. What the Congress needs to address is orphaned counties like the Berkshires in streaming, cable, and satellite services.

Senator Leahy was able to do this for VT, if you live anywhere in VT, you can receive Burlington stations in addition to those in you DMA via service provider. IP and others services should be allowed to sell us (in the Berkshires) Boston or Springfield stations so we have access to MA news on TV. Some would say it's irrelevant with the internet, but for someone used to getting their news on TV or watching irrelevant political ads, it is not.
If you want to stream from any market and bypass copyright crap, get a vpn and choose a server in that market.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder when one of my TV's will update 10.3 to Antenna? I have an older Samsung where it's already switched. But my much newer LG still lists it as Justice.
TiVo has updated listings to Antenna TV, but the logo of the channel still shows as True Crime. Over The Air PSIP has been updated as of this morning to show Antenna AND send the proper show listings. As of tonight, only Android TV is still showing Justice and the listings for True Crime. I am not sure what Roku TV is showing, but they use the same service as TiVo or Android, as far as I know.

·
Registered
498 Posts
TiVo has updated listings to Antenna TV, but the logo of the channel still shows as True Crime. Over The Air PSIP has been updated as of this morning to show Antenna AND send the proper show listings. As of tonight, only Android TV is still showing Justice and the listings for True Crime. I am not sure what Roku TV is showing, but they use the same service as TiVo or Android, as far as I know.
I still don't understand how the PSIP gets updated. On my LG, it still shows Crime programming, under the "AntennaTV" banner. AND it's still in 16:9. I hope he's looking over the settings today.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I still don't understand how the PSIP gets updated. On my LG, it still shows Crime programming, under the "AntennaTV" banner. AND it's still in 16:9. I hope he's looking over the settings today.
Based on my experience with them when Escape, Laff, and Bounce were all wrong and they refused to do anything about it, and Antenna in Burlington with no change, I am doubtful. You guys may have more influence than I do, though, so we'll keep on it. There is no good reason why it has to be wrong. They have their reasons, but they're non-sensical reasons.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Based on my experience with them when Escape, Laff, and Bounce were all wrong and they refused to do anything about it, and Antenna in Burlington with no change, I am doubtful. You guys may have more influence than I do, though, so we'll keep on it. There is no good reason why it has to be wrong. They have their reasons, but they're non-sensical reasons.
Yeah, I keep sending messages to WWLP through Facebook and emails to David Cote, but Court TV Mystery on WWLP-DT4 still looks like a stretched mess. I really hate dealing with these people; I'm left to wonder if they're hamstrung, ignorant, apathetic, or just flat out stupid, possibly some combination of the four.

·
Registered
498 Posts
From a WTEN email today;
" I did not get an answer today from the guy who set it up. I will give him a call tomorrow. " Maybe there's hope! Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
127 Posts
From a WTEN email today;
" I did not get an answer today from the guy who set it up. I will give him a call tomorrow. " Maybe there's hope! Fingers crossed!
Even if you do get a response will it be truthful. I've been told lies about power levels and the such. Its not like its mi6 and cia type stuff.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You did it! It's 4:3 now! Way to go! Now, if you can get WFFF to do it too that would be helpful 😎
COWABUNGA!! Now I'll just have to be patient for "Zap2it" to get the listings in check!
Anyway you're welcome :) I'm not sure though how much pull I have being 200 miles from Burlington!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Antenna is a black screen on WTEN right now. It is on on WFFF (stretched of course), so must be their IP stream went down.

Update: it's going on and off now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Antenna is a black screen on WTEN right now. It is on on WFFF (stretched of course), so must be their IP stream went down.

Update: it's going on and off now.
Yeah it was doing that yesterday afternoon too. I questioned it, and was told there's a second IP stream that needs to be set up, which is used to switch to when "glitches" occur. I'm guessing they haven't done it yet. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah it was doing that yesterday afternoon too. I questioned it, and was told there's a second IP stream that needs to be set up, which is used to switch to when "glitches" occur. I'm guessing they haven't done it yet. :(
I hope they fix it soon - it’s been problematic for sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hope they fix it soon - it’s been problematic for sure.
This day and age and something as simple as an aspect ratio is still a problem. Also some of the transfers from film and videotape back in the day to the digital formats today are lousy. I know the quality can be much better. Sometimes it is done right.

6661 - 6680 of 6742 Posts