AVS Forum banner

6901 - 6920 of 6933 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
What's with these really really low-power stations having a bug on the screen the whole time? WFNY and WZPJ now. Wonder when WBAX will "leap" up the mountain, and is WVBG on yet?

Lastly, still no psip guide data for Get TV. Any word back from WNYT?
I know Mike at WFNY likes to keep his identity front and center to viewers. Personally I think the hourly ID he has is probably enough, but I guess he likes the "bug". WZPJ's bug is definitely more intrusive.

Yeah I'd like to know the status of the other proposed stations too.

WNYT never responded.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Nope, WFNY can't increase their coverage area because RF 16 is protected in a radius around the NYC area, and changing tower sites to better reach Albany at the expense of Gloversville isn't going to happen since the owner Michael A. Sleezer lives in that town and wants his station to have a strong signal over it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new guy here. Just emailed wnyt's engineer. His reply was that they are putting a uhf transmitter on Greylock in the spring. They are going to ask the fcc for increased power on ch. 13. Wish they all would go uhf.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WNYT already made that request to increase their power back in November the same day the FCC lifted the freeze on applications, it's still pending with the FCC:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/d...&id=25076f9175b4684d0175d82d74a038c2&goBack=N

If it's approved, this will be their coverage area:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f9175b4684d0175d82d74a038c2&site=1&map=Y

That Greylock transmitter is the W38DL-D Adams translator that was forced off air with the repack, it's moving to RF 35 and will change its callsign to W35DU-D once they finish the work. This will be its coverage area:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f9166cd68580166d57cf9880c90&site=1&map=Y

However, if WRGB's request to move to RF 35 is approved, they will have to find yet another new channel number.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That Greylock transmitter is the W38DL-D Adams translator that was forced off air with the repack, it's moving to RF 35 and will change its callsign to W35DU-D once they finish the work. This will be its coverage area:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f9166cd68580166d57cf9880c90&site=1&map=Y

However, if WRGB's request to move to RF 35 is approved, they will have to find yet another new channel number.
35 has been on for some time, I get it all the way over in glens falls. And what's Dan saying about the Berkshires, something for him or referring to WNYT?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They still haven't filed for a license to cover, the latest filing says they're still operating with a 0.75 kW STA until they finish the work on the final 15 kW signal. The latest extension is slated to expire on May 10, so they should be making a filing in the next few weeks either to indicate that the work is done, or another extension request with an update on the progress.

Also, unless WYBN-LD plans to buy an existing LPTV signal and do a series of 30 mile hops to move it to the Berkshires, it's going to be pretty hard for them to get a decent signal located there because the current rules are that translators can't extend your coverage area beyond your main contour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They still haven't filed for a license to cover, the latest filing says they're still operating with a 0.75 kW STA until they finish the work on the final 15 kW signal. The latest extension is slated to expire on May 10, so they should be making a filing in the next few weeks either to indicate that the work is done, or another extension request with an update on the progress.

Also, unless WYBN-LD plans to buy an existing LPTV signal and do a series of 30 mile hops to move it to the Berkshires, it's going to be pretty hard for them to get a decent signal located there because the current rules are that translators can't extend your coverage area beyond your main contour.
In my last contact with Dan, he asked where any towers in Berkshire County were that he could investigate. I used to get a good signal here in Lanesboro before they switched over last fall.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The switch to RF 26 was because their old RF 14 signal had interference issues with land mobile radio operations in the NYC area. But in order to move to RF 26 they had to change their directional pattern to protect WGGB-TV in Springfield, so while it fixed interference issues in areas South of Albany, they had to sacrifice their coverage in Western MA.

WYBN-LD is also a low power digital station, so they are limited in their maximum power, and because of translator rules, they can't just file for a new translator over the Berkshires like the other stations can as it would exceed their main contour. They would have to purchase an existing LPTV license and move it to the Berkshires on a RF number that won't cause co-channel or adjacent channel interference.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi, new guy here. Just emailed wnyt's engineer. His reply was that they are putting a uhf transmitter on Greylock in the spring. They are going to ask the fcc for increased power on ch. 13. Wish they all would go uhf.
Rf 35 on Greylock and rf 28 from South mountain are both live. I get them both just south of you and my antenna is pointed toward Albany. Rf 35 is northeast and 28 is southeast.

Corrected spelling

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought WYBN was going to simulcast on WVBG and also some station in the Catskills / NYC market.

He should buy WNCE. Keep Jesse on staff and let him keep doing his LookTV on a subchannel 😉. Or, WNGN/X. Larson's obviously not doing anything with them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I thought WYBN was going to simulcast on WVBG and also some station in the Catskills / NYC market.
WYBN is already in the Catskills. Isn't that his channel 29? Meanwhile WVBG is the new RF17 which I think has an active STA. Dan had spoken of the guy who's behind that one. I also notice that Rabbitears has WBAX 32 as already being on the air with a next to nothing signal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
WYBN is already in the Catskills. Isn't that his channel 29? Meanwhile WVBG is the new RF17 which I think has an active STA. Dan had spoken of the guy who's behind that one. I also notice that Rabbitears has WBAX 32 as already being on the air with a next to nothing signal.
Yes, WZPK was noted to be a simulcast of WYBN, see here: WZPK TV 29 Launches & WYBN TV 14 Expands to 2.1 Million More Viewers
However, Rabbitears lists as Intrigue TV. Did that arrangement quietly go away, or is Rabbitears incorrect? Can anyone receive and confirm it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
"Dabl" is now on WFNY -- 16.3
That's great for Mike! Albany was one of only 3 markets in the top 100 markets that didn't have it. The next one after is market #55, Scranton PA, and market #92, Springfield, MA, however it is on a station in Hartford CT which would be receivable for Springfield proper. Of course, more than likely a bigger station will to try and steal it when the contract is up! :confused: So wish I could get WFNY here. How much to start a translator in Porters Corners? ;)

Little guys WNGN and WNCE just sit there and waste all the bandwidth they could be using. Even for just shopping and religious channels! Don't they pretty much pay the affiliates (what they need to operate and) to carry them?

Still waiting on Circle and Movies!. Those are the only two worth receiving from Burlington for me via WCAX on RF20. (I'm far enough north and shadowed from the VPT translator).

Since WTEN has Antenna TV now, I don't point my antenna north anymore. When I combine antennas I lose WYBN, which I like for NewsNet. And, my UHF only Yagi picks up WPTZ on the back of it since it's so strong here, so I can still see Vermont/Plattsburgh news when I feel like it, and WNNE which is nice to have for time shifted options.

[sidenote, on Rabbit Ears WFNY shows "independent" for 16-7 but it's still AMG last I checked. Also, can we have WNCE changed to display channel 31.1? It hasn't shown 8.1 in over 3 years now. Jesse is crazy to not have that show as 8.1]

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Nexstar has been adding DABL in a bunch of markets recently, so don't be surprised if it does end up leaving WFNY for WTEN or WXXA when their contract for the Katz networks expires this August.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's great for Mike! Albany was one of only 3 markets in the top 100 markets that didn't have it. The next one after is market #55, Scranton PA, and market #92, Springfield, MA, however it is on a station in Hartford CT which would be receivable for Springfield proper. Of course, more than likely a bigger station will to try and steal it when the contract is up! :confused: So wish I could get WFNY here. How much to start a translator in Porters Corners? ;)

Little guys WNGN and WNCE just sit there and waste all the bandwidth they could be using. Even for just shopping and religious channels! Don't they pretty much pay the affiliates (what they need to operate and) to carry them?

Still waiting on Circle and Movies!. Those are the only two worth receiving from Burlington for me via WCAX on RF20. (I'm far enough north and shadowed from the VPT translator).

Since WTEN has Antenna TV now, I don't point my antenna north anymore. When I combine antennas I lose WYBN, which I like for NewsNet. And, my UHF only Yagi picks up WPTZ on the back of it since it's so strong here, so I can still see Vermont/Plattsburgh news when I feel like it, and WNNE which is nice to have for time shifted options.

[sidenote, on Rabbit Ears WFNY shows "independent" for 16-7 but it's still AMG last I checked. Also, can we have WNCE changed to display channel 31.1? It hasn't shown 8.1 in over 3 years now. Jesse is crazy to not have that show as 8.1]
Check your conversations!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, first post. I live near Albany and just recently starting playing with OTA TV again. I'm also a ham, so RF is fun :)
I purchased a SiliconDust Connect 4K (which does 1.0 and 3.0 both). Right now my antenna is inside because I have a good path to the Helderbergs, but maybe I'll put something outside "just to see what else I can get" :)
Is there any information on when we might see ATSC3 turn on in the Albany market? It looks like it has made an appearance in the Buffalo and Syracuse areas. I can't find a way to search an individual thread on the forum.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The Watch NextGenTV site says Albany is slated to get ATSC 3.0 in Fall 2021, but so far no local station has made any NextGen filings with the FCC. Several people on this forum pay attention to the filings, so once one is made for the Albany area, it will be relayed in this thread.

6901 - 6920 of 6933 Posts