AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congress is trying to decide whether to pass a national sales tax exemption for most consumer purchases, effective this Xmas season.

If passed, this effort will definitely give the economy a well need boost. I don't have to tell you folks how much you stand to save on a major HT purchase. It will also give you more incentive to supprt a local B&M retailer.

This CEA site gives you more info on the proposal and instructions on how to contact your legislators to voice your support:

http://www.ce.org/public_policy/tax_freedom_week.asp

Let's get behind this thing folks!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What's a "national sales tax"?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My point is that there is no such thing as a national sales tax in the United States. Is the poster suggesting that the Congress is going to dissenjoin states, counties, parrishes, borroughs and municipalities from collecting sales taxes during the specified time frame?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm sure the poster meant "Nationwide" sales tax, as the link mentions.

Quote:
A nationwide sales tax holiday would allow states and localities that collect a sales tax to temporarily stop collecting this tax on all tangible personal property for 10 days, from November 23 - December 2, 2001. Congress would reimburse states and localities for lost sales tax revenue during this period. The sales tax holiday would not be mandatory; rather, participation would be decided by each state legislature and governor.
We have a similar program in Texas that takes place over a weekend in August. Basically, anything that you can wear under $200 is sales tax (local and state) free, in every store in Texas.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Good for you guys, but it won't help us here in Oregon, we don't pay sales tax anyway. I wonder if we could get a purchase rebate instead, that would be cool.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Roddie,

We do the same thing here in Florida.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.