AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was setting up my new Titus record when I happened to notice a Malcolm was showing on Wednesday. I didn't really think anything of it at first since I was pretty sure FOX has been showing reruns on Wed for the past few weeks in that timeslot anyway. Thankfully I happened to notice the title of the show and (without giving too much away if you haven't seen today's ep yet) it happened to coincide with something that occurred in the show; so I thought it might be a new episode (since they did do some Sun & Wed new ep's last season). Of course FOX's site says nothing about it, but I fast-forwarded back through the show and slowed down for all the FOX related commercials. Sure enough buried in all of the junk that I happily skipped over the first time around was an ad for a NEW EPISODE ON WED!!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Wow...thanks for the warning!

This kind of stuff makes TiVo so much better. (not being a troll - but hear me out)

Because of FOX's stupid "Comedy Wheel (of Reruns)" on Wed. I purposely limited my Malcolm channel to Sunday only.

Otherwise, Replay would blindly record over my Sunday episode with a Wed. rerun (sometimes I might not watch Malcolm right away).

Sure...I could set it to "keep 2 episodes" but why should I have to "waste" another guaranteed half-hour to prevent losing something.

A "don't record reruns" would solve this. And/or not deleting content that I haven't watched even if there's plenty of room on the HD.

Anyway...limiting to Sunday I NEVER would have noticed this w/o warning here. So, thanks again.

Even if I didn't have Wed. excluded who knows what else conflicts at this time (off the top of my head - Enterprise)? ReplayTV gives me no notice of what it plans to do in times of conflict.

I tried to change this right now via MyReplayTV.com before I forget...but you can't change the days of recording. D'oh!

Oh well...maybe it's time to put Malcolm on my TiVo???

·
Registered
419 Posts
Being a user of both TiVo and Replay.. My TiVo would have missed it as well since my ED season pass has a higher priority.

On the flipside, TiVo sure could use Replay's "Recording by day of week" feature. Many tiimes I find my TiVo HDD full of shows that I've already seen that did not have sufficient guide info for TiVo to tell that it was a rerun or had already been recorded.

Take last weeks South Park for example, TiVo recorded 3 copies of the show, while Replay only 1 as it should have. Same thing happened for "The Last Word w/Jim Rome", TiVo recorded 5 shows with and only 2 were unique, Replay recorded the 5 M-F shows as I had set them up and all was correct. You say "setup TiVo for a manual recording for those days only"? Almost works, except it will still record the time slot, even if that show is not on.

Day of week recording would have solved this, but the trade off is that shows with that setting wouldn't be "caught" on the other days. It's a bit of a trade off.

I could try and juggle the Season passes, but with over 50 of them, there is too much room for error.

A DirecTiVo type device with day of week recording would pretty

much solve this issue. Then again, it also needs another input,

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genearch
Being a user of both TiVo and Replay.. My TiVo would have missed it as well since my ED season pass has a higher priority.
Yes, but at least you could check your To Do List, and Recording History to see what will and won't be recorded, and why! :)
Quote:

On the flipside, TiVo sure could use Replay's "Recording by day of week" feature.
Agreed! This would be a great addional option for a season pass or wishlist!
Quote:

Many tiimes I find my TiVo HDD full of shows that I've already seen that did not have sufficient guide info for TiVo to tell that it was a rerun or had already been recorded.
What I've found is that the daily shows that don't have the detailed data for can be managed with a Keep at Most = 1 or 2, to make sure I only get the most recent version. Combining that with a low priority usually keeps my Tivo from recording the same thing too often, and if it does, it replaces the old one. But it's not the perfect solution...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah

Yes, but at least you could check your To Do List, and Recording History to see what will and won't be recorded, and why! :)
Sure, but shouldn't it simply record what I tell it, regardless of season pass priority? When I say "Ed" on Wed, I mean it and if I happen to have my "Malcom" Season pass with a higher priority, it shouldn't get overridden when Fox decides to show Malcom on that way. I am by no means discounting the To-Do list, I think it's great and Replay could use something similar.

If I were traveling this week and didn't check the To-Do list, I'd come home and not have the shows available to me that I expected.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genearch

Sure, but shouldn't it simply record what I tell it, regardless of season pass priority?
What would the point of season pass priorities be, then?
Quote:

When I say "Ed" on Wed, I mean it and if I happen to have my "Malcom" Season pass with a higher priority, it shouldn't get overridden when Fox decides to show Malcom on that way.
Ah, but you know that you don't say record this season pass on a Wednesday. (But I did agree with your previous idea of making this an option.) Instead, you say record this show on this channel whenever it comes on (with the option to skip re-runs, etc.)
Quote:

If I were traveling this week and didn't check the To-Do list, I'd come home and not have the shows available to me that I expected.
You say you'd rather "Ed" be recorded in this particular case. I bet others would rather the new "Malcolm in the Middle" instead of "Ed". That's the reason they have the Season Pass Manager... to let you decide which shows "win" if there is a conflict... (and, of course, a DirecTivo or UTV could record both of them, and there wouldn't be an issue! :))

I am hoping (with no inside knowledge) that Tivo's next update would include the day of week restrictions for season passes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.