AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying a DLP system in January, I decided to pick up an OTA receiver this morning. According to antennaweb I should be able to get LPB, NBC, and ABC with no problem. The CBS affiliate in Lafayette may be a bit too far away.

So, is anyone in central Louisiana already receiving HDTV? If so, what's your impression so far?

Luke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So my Samsung SIR-T451 arrived today. I hooked up some rabbit ears and was immediately able to bring in KLPA (PBS) on 25.1, .3, & .5 and KALB (NBC) on 5.1.

Both 5.1 and 25.5 broadcast HD in the evening.

I'm getting a DB4 from antennas direct on Friday. I'm hoping to pick up the CBS station in Monroe. Stay tuned.

Luke

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

I live in Alexandria, and will be getting a Mitsu DLP soon. We will be adding Dish Network HD, and dropping Cox Cable. I was just wondering how your OTA situation is working out?

Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OTA is not as good as I had hoped. I can get HD on LPB and KALB with no problem. However, KLAX doesn't broadcast HD, just SD digital. Let me know how the satellite works out for you. I'd love to go that way but I want to keep my local stations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think we will keep the basic cable package that Cox has for under $10 per month. I will play with OTA for our main TV for the occasional HD program. I will post our results. Any luck with either the Monroe or Lafayette stations?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I could get a weak analog signal from Monroe but nothing from Lafayette. The DB4 is in my attic. I'd probably have better luck if I put it on a tower but I'll go with satellite before I do that.

Did you look into Voom? I keep hearing about them but I haven't researched them.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
The only problem with Voom is if your locals are not available OTA, it won't solve your problem with regard to HD Network programming.

OTOH, if you're just looking for a boatload of HD, especially if you're into HD movies, it's definitely worth looking into. Their precarious financial situation is a non-issue if you do not invest in their equipment. Just lease until things look a little more stable. Just my opinion. (I had Voom for about 8 months - loved it - great value.....but with 8 receivers, it was never really practical to replace D* entirely, and it got costly to maintain both services)

One more note: If you invest any significant money or effort into OTA reception, you should shoot for receiving all your digital locals (even non-HD). You don't want to have to re-assess your antenna setup every time one of your local channels upgrades to HD. If you receive their digital channel, you'll receive their HD signal when available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I finally have everything working. I bought a Zenith Silver something antenna from Sears. I ran coax into the attic. After some trial and error, I got it positioned so that I can get KALB and KLAX digital channels without any skipping out. I even bought an antenna booster that plugs into the wall. It made reception impossible. The PBS stuff seems to work no matter how I have it. The weird thing is, KLAX'z audio sounds better than ANYTHING else, even the digital channels I have running through optical digital cable from the Dish box. I may try to run the TV sound through digital coax, but I am a bit intimidated by the prospect of changing the output setting in NETcommand on the TV.

I am now waiting to see what locals we can get through a waiver from Dish. I know I can get CBS. If we can get Fox, I can then cancel basic cable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just bought a HDTV and I was thinking of buying the HDTV receiver from Walmart because the only way to get HDTV is OTA. I was wondering if anyone from my Area has tried this yet. I could use the help

·
Registered
29 Posts
I get the digital signal from ABC just fine. I do have to change the orientation of my antenna though. The PBS and ABC signals are on the same angle. The NBC one is significantly different. Plug in your address to antennaweb.org to see the correct angles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That web site says I'm about 16 miles away from the ABC tower. I tried the antenna in every direction. Still no signal. I guess I will need a out door antenna to pick it up. Their broadcast over Cox is dark and the colors are off. How good is the digital picture compared to Cox?

·
Registered
29 Posts
With the Zenith antenna in my attic, I can't even come close to getting Fox. The KLAX digital signal is a good bit better than the cox picture, but the sound is WAY loud. I have no idea on HD. I figure I won't ever see a Fox HD channel until Dish makes major changes to their HD offerings. I don't think we can get a Fox waiver here either.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just got a call from Cox about a email I sent them. She setup me up to pick up a hdtv reciever from their Pineville office. She said it will be 5.80 more a month. I have a funny feeling that when I show up at their office, they wont know what I am talking about. I hope this is true. I will post more info tomorrow on how it worked out.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by lolowar
I just got a call from Cox about a emial I sent them. She setup me up to pick up a hdtv reciever from their Pineville office. She said it will be 5.80 more a month. I have a funny feeling that when I show up at their office, they wont know what I am talking about. I hope this is true. I will post more info tomorrow on how it worked out.

They have HD programming? The last time I contacted them, they said they had no time table for HD in the Alexandria market. That is why I bought the Dish Network package. Please post what you find out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
As I thought. Whoever called me made a mistake. When I went to Cox they looked at me like I was crazy. I told them she made a note and they found the note in the system. They told me they will call and find out why they called me in the first place. Once my year special is up, I may switch to Direct or Dish. As you already knew, Voom won't be around much longer.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It may just be because of the fog, but this morning I have a new digatil channel. 56.1 CBS from Lafayette. Getting about a constant 80% signal. No drop outs so far. I will check to see if it is still here after I get back from work. If anyone is picking this up please let me know.

1 - 20 of 372 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.