AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some suggestions to make the theater setup better than currently shown. Which is pretty much a just moved in look.

Currently I believe I need some speaker stands, more seating, and a good way to deal with the wires.

Goals
1.) Safer

A few pictures below show wires that can trip people. Issue is that running the wires through the ceiling requires ceiling access I do not have and then just draping wires down. The flooring is concrete slab which tosses out all those options.

2.) Friendly to large parties. I do not want to build walls up that cram and separate groups.

Mostly achieved, but need more seating.

3.) Aesthetically pleasing.

The entire look for the down stairs area is a Japanese style. Like the safety issue above my only solution is to toss down rubber cable covers or more carpets that never stay in place. Plus the issue of putting the rear surround speakers in places that would normally be walk areas.

Current Details

Ceiling fans installed, dimmable lights and fan speed on remotes.

Onkyo HT-S5100(HT-R560 receiver with 7.1 speaker setup.)

Soon to be replaced 36" LCD

Big pile of equipment for structured wiring. I am working networking and cabling the entire place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there.

Looks like you have the room layout similar to what I would have in this floor plan. A couple of suggestions.

Cable management: run your rear speaker wire down the wall against the baseboard on the left of your TV, and across the fireplace. Then down the wall with the two windows. The wires can be hidden using paintable plastic casing while running it along the baseboard. The casing I am thinking of can be stuck onto the basboard.

Once you get to the point of where the capet meets your dining room flooring. You can run the wires inside the flooring transition piece. Depending on the size of the wires you may have to get a bigger transition piece. But be careful if you do with a new transition piece. So that when you are screwing it down the wires dont get pinched.

Another option is to flip the room so that the TV is in front of the two windows and sofa is facing the TV. The windows may need to have better coverings to contol sunlight.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
You could also cut the caulking at the top of your baseboard, carefully pry it off, and run your wires in the gap between the bottom of the sheetrock and the floor(assuming your sheetrock was installed correctly).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You mention that your 36in TV is "soon to be replaced" and you mention "theater" as one of your goals so if the budget will allow may we please recommend that you upgrade from watching a television to a much more genuine "theater" experience by adding a front projector and a screen. We tried to achieve "theater" experience with a very nice 60in television but consumer televisions just can't deliver "theater"- just in our opinion and experience.

You could do a simple shelf mount over the open space to the kitchen and a manual or powered roll down "theater" sized screen for those times when you want that "at the movies" visual experience.

We've found that even a 120 in diagonal image while sitting about 14 ft. from the screen gives us the same visual effect as sitting in many of the metroplex commercial cinemas.

Definition of genuine Theater in the Home is a personal and very subjective specification but the only television that gets even close to actually delivering "theater" is the Mits 83in and for the price of that large TV you can buy a very nice projector and screen while keeping a television for all the non-theater content viewing and so have the best of both application solutions. With a bit of creativity it's easy to deploy inexpensive yet attractive window treatments that will insure the space will be darkened enough for the full projector image effect.

You can probably eliminate a lot of the exposed and long wiring runs by going wireless. For example, DVD players are relatively inexpensive so currently I have a player sitting next to our projector on a shelf across the viewing area from our TV and all the audio and other video components. I use a wireless transmitter to send the audio across the room to a digital receiver and mixer.

Other wiring can be run along the base boards or ceiling edges and there are eye pleasing, flexible conduits that can be placed along these cable runs that will hide the wires without detracting from the view/appearance of the room.

I have dual audio systems deployed - 2 channel stereo for our old music collection Ilarge and powerful receiver and other separate components) that works beside and also in combination with our less powerful 5:1 surround and, depending on the application, I can run either system alone or in combination with a mixer to balance out volume and separation of the two speaker systems. Result is I can project an Allman Brothers or Elton John or Chicago concert on the wall screen with enough clean audio power to entertain our neighbors if I care to
) or tailor the audio for a movie and this means all kinds of cables and wires going all over and the external wire conduit structures - IMO - successfully hide the wires cosmetically and keeps them safely away from family, pets and guests.

Best of Luck!! Looks like you have a large and open room "canvas" to create with.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19556559

You could also cut the caulking at the top of your baseboard, carefully pry it off, and run your wires in the gap between the bottom of the sheetrock and the floor(assuming your sheetrock was installed correctly).

Good Idea! With my luck I would snap the baseboard or poke a hole in the drywall

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_yaz /forum/post/19559638

Good Idea! With my luck I would snap the baseboard or poke a hole in the drywall

Both cheap and easy to repair.

·
Registered
669 Posts
With some baseboards, there might be a small amount of room underneath them to poke some wiring between the bottom of the baseboard & the carpeting, just a thought.

I have been able to run a coax cable this way from a wall outlet to another part of the room.

John

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX /forum/post/19569693

With some baseboards, there might be a small amount of room underneath them to poke some wiring between the bottom of the baseboard & the carpeting, just a thought.

I have been able to run a coax cable this way from a wall outlet to another part of the room.

John

I was able to do that with all of the surround and coax wiring in both my media room and my living room. If the tack strip is away from the wall a bit it's really easy to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SEVEN YEARS LATER...

√ Moved to a different house.
√ Smaller room that is not an echo chamber.
√ An actual closet to stash the equipment.
√ A wall made of wood to hang the television on.
√ An attic to run wires through.

Plus equipment upgrades:
LG 55" 4K 55UB8200 (Just a meh television.)
Onkyo TX-RZ720 7.1 Receiver

I am only using raceway track in the closet from the ceiling due to there being a obstacles in the wall.

4x shielded CAT6 cables over to my desk.

For the audio cable termination:
* Strip 2.5" from the outer jacket.
* Slide 0.25" heat shrink in place.
* Strip 0.25" from the positive and negative wires.
* Install the screw on banana plugs.
* Heat the heat shrink.
* Add labels.
* Hope no one noticed the blunder with the shelf track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.