AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else played around with multi-channel LPCM through the Mosquito HDMI?

Plugging an Oppo 970 direct into the Mosquito (then on to a Radiance with first output to a RS-1, second output to a MC-12HD) and I can only get 2 channels from SACD/DVD-A. The Oppo is doing a 2 channel downmix, not just sending L/R of the 6 channel track. So the Oppo must be receiving an EDID that says the downstream device only supports 2 channels. The Lexicon and Radiance both advertise multi-channel support so the Mosquito must be changing this.

Using a Gefen DVI Detective Plus between the Mosquito and Oppo to change the EDID from the Mosquito to advertise multi-channel LPCM support I can get the Oppo to output 6 channels and the Mosquito will accept that and pass it on to the downstream components. I tested 6 channels at 48kHz and 96kHz this way and the Mosquito was passing both.

So it looks like the Mosquito's hardware is all set to support multi-channel LPCM, just that its EDID is set to only advertise 2 channel LPCM and not consider what downstream components advertise for audio support. The Gefen works around this.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nice approach with the Gefen unit! Where did you read the EDID from ? Your AV Receiver ? And the audio is passed fine through the Gefen although you're DVI to HDMI cables on both sides ??

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gefen has a few built in EDIDs with audio support but I think I was using an EDID learned from my Radiance.

"And the audio is passed fine through the Gefen although you're DVI to HDMI cables on both sides ?? "

Yes. The Gefen itself has DVI connections on it but electrically it is just a bare wire. All the video data lines are simply connected from input to output, there is no DVI or HDMI receiver or transmitter in the unit. All it does is tie a microcontroller into the DDC line to be able to alter EDID, everything else is simply passed through unaltered which is why it can pass audio.

Shawn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.