AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to bite the bullet and get another mini for my PT AE2000 and have two mini's serving up video_ts, photos, and ALAC music. The missing piece is good .mkv integration but I will deal with that at a later time.

So my questions are the following:

1.) How do I make my mini's reconnect to the proper shares on my unraid box everytime they restart? In windows, I map drive and click 'reconnect on logon'

2.) How do I make my aliases on the unraid? Mac won't seem to let me make an alias at the 'folder' level, it will only have the option available one level down. What am I doing wrong

Ideally I'd like to have a mapped drive, reconnect on logon for Music, Movies, and Photos.

Thanks.

P.S. The other missing piece that doesn't work will hopefully be solved be DVI Detector. I have to reboot my mini in order for it to be picked up by the projector right now.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie /forum/post/12919052

Well I decided to bite the bullet and get another mini for my PT AE2000 and have two mini's serving up video_ts, photos, and ALAC music. The missing piece is good .mkv integration but I will deal with that at a later time.

So my questions are the following:

1.) How do I make my mini's reconnect to the proper shares on my unraid box everytime they restart? In windows, I map drive and click 'reconnect on logon'

I'm not sure why you need two minis, but, once you have mounted the remote drive, drag the icon onto the dock and select "Open at login" with a right mouse-click.
Quote:
2.) How do I make my aliases on the unraid? Mac won't seem to let me make an alias at the 'folder' level, it will only have the option available one level down. What am I doing wrong

I am a little unclear about this. You want to alias a Mac drive on th RAID? Or is it the other way around?
Quote:
P.S. The other missing piece that doesn't work will hopefully be solved be DVI Detector. I have to reboot my mini in order for it to be picked up by the projector right now.

Why are you rebooting? My Mini runs 24 hours a day and I reboot it only when I've installed new system software or once a month or so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the confusion.

2 mini's means I have two theaters (one upstairs and one downstairs)

I have been rebooting due to lack of bluetooth keyboard (i have to manually turn it off or just power done and power on if the screensaver locks it up), or due to the fact my projector does not remember the setting of the mini's dvi, so the only way to get signal back is to reboot.

I guess I am confused about 'mounting a volume'. I have been just going to apple+k and then clicking on the network share to enable it. I would like it to just reconnect all my shares when it boots up. So if I travel (which I do a lot of) my wife will not notice anything if the computer has to reboot for some reason.

So I want the data on the NAS but just have it all available all the time on the mini.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How are you connecting? SMB, AppleTalk, NFS? What are you using for a NAS? I know what a raid is, but what is an "unraid"? Give a specific example how making an alias is failing. Labeling drives by location and name.

Rebooting is unnecessary. Put your disks to sleep, not your computer, turn off the monitor/projector. Do not use a screen saver, they are not needed. If your disks are "sleeping" they'll spin up when something want's to access them.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie /forum/post/12921918

Sorry for the confusion.

2 mini's means I have two theaters (one upstairs and one downstairs)

OK. Clear.

Quote:
I have been rebooting due to lack of bluetooth keyboard (i have to manually turn it off or just power done and power on if the screensaver locks it up), or due to the fact my projector does not remember the setting of the mini's dvi, so the only way to get signal back is to reboot.

Why are you running a screen saver? As PepticBurrito pointed out, just turn off your display or tell the Mini to make the display sleep (if it can). But keep the screen saver turned off. Then you won't need to reboot the Mini.
Quote:
I guess I am confused about 'mounting a volume'. I have been just going to apple+k and then clicking on the network share to enable it. I would like it to just reconnect all my shares when it boots up. So if I travel (which I do a lot of) my wife will not notice anything if the computer has to reboot for some reason.

As I wrote you above, if you are running OS X 10.4.X, mount the remote volume once then drag its icon to the Dock and select "Open at login." Done. If you are running Leopard, it should just show up in a finder window as a networked drive. Click it, et voilÃ*!
Quote:
So I want the data on the NAS but just have it all available all the time on the mini.

That's also what I do and what I described above has worked perfectly for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts