AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if this is a Houston problem or what, but there is an odd green tint added to the broadcast every few seconds and then it changes back to normal. anyone else have an eye trained enough to notice this?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Andrew,

Was this green tint covering the whole screen or just a section (specifically, if you divided the screen up into six equal sections, the upper left-hand "panel")? I saw this green "panel" on Once and Again Friday night with ExpressVu, but it was gone when the next show (form CBS) came on, and I've never seen it with any other HD signal except ABC. What I saw came on about twenty minutes into the broadcast, vanished during the commercials, then came back when the program resumed until its conclusion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also noticed the mysterious green square on Expressvu during Once and Again on Friday night. The other five/sixths of the screen seemed to have a bit of a purple haze. I thought at first my tv or 6000 receiver were going on the fritz, but everything seemed fine during commercials and when the HD programming switched over to CBS later in the evening. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it!

Speaking of green tints, is it just me, maybe my tv, or the artistic intent of directors, that interior shots of such shows as Alias and Thieves seem to have a bit of a green cast to them, as if shot under flourescent light? My tv has been calibrated with Avia, and studio shot shows such as sitcoms, and exteriors look great, so I doubt it could be a problem with my setup.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was the entire screen. i view it OTA. it seems like they are adding this green tint to indoor scences for some god awful reason. with the PQ really lacking, these color problems, and FREQUENT audio problems, i'm might have to hold off on ABC until next year. I wasn't around when CBS first started showing their weekly series' in HD. did they have all these problems?

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I watched Once and Again two days ago with the wife. We use OTA. I also noticed green patches most visible on faces. A slight green was once and twice visible on the upper left 1/8 of screen during totally dark scenes. This is not on any other OTA station, HBOHD, SHOHD, HDNet and other HD demos. Did not watch other ABC HD shows long enough to notice anything other than the fact their HD shows are all soft.

I used DTC100 BTW.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had a green square on the left side when the broadcast first started, but that was it. I didn't notice any green tint on the Los Angeles OTA. But I was stupid enough to sit through the first 15 minutes before I remembered to switch the processor over to 5.1 - vast improvement!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Obviously there's a wide variation between local affiliate's quality. I notice no such picture problem in Dallas--and I watch more than just Alias. The only problems we have here are an occasional "pop" in the audio, which I'm told will soon be fixed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well, it's good to find out that I haven't gone crazy and that it's not my equipment. I wonder how in the world this is happening with the feed, and I also wonder if it's equipment dependent. I've got the Panasonic 42" plasma--what do you guys have?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I too noticed a subtle green tinge to the overall picture in some of the scenes. I thought at the time that they may be going for some kind of a matrix movie look but now that I think about it that's probably not it at all.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Wow, others who notice the green tint. I have been commenting about this for almost 3 years! It seems to be an encoding from film problem. HD-cam does not have it- unless the local station has encoding problems. When my local Fox affiliate first came on the air their picture was extremely green but they fixed it so it can be fixed. I am going to refer my local ABC and CBS affiliates (whom I have been e-mailing) to this thread to show them I am not crazy and it isn't my equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the Los Angeles ABC affiliate, I get the green tint over the entire picture, flicking on and off every few seconds. This happens most frequently during the HDTV broadcasts, and bothers me so much, I have stopped watching these HDTV programs on ABC. I wonder if anyone has complained to the affiliate.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by jjesq
From the Los Angeles ABC affiliate, I get the green tint over the entire picture, flicking on and off every few seconds. This happens most frequently during the HDTV broadcasts, and bothers me so much, I have stopped watching these HDTV programs on ABC. I wonder if anyone has complained to the affiliate.
as my first post indicates, this is exactly what i am seeing. thank god i am not the only one seeing this. from the limited number of responses it makes me wonder how many people here actually pay close attention to details. i thought this was the place to talk about details such as this. im going to call my local abc affliate and ask to speak with the chief engineer so that i may get an explanation for this.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by jjesq
ADebar:

Let me know what you find out.
i called and spoke with the chief engineer here in houston. he had no idea what i was talking about. he was going to check all of his local equipment until i mentioned the AVSForum and that users in LA were experiencing the same problems. he then concluded that it was a nationwide problem and that he would phone up his contacts from above and tell them to get on the ball. the guy was very helpful and ready to listen. i forgot to ask him why the hell he is zooming in the 4:3 upcon stuff. that annoys the hell out of me. i'll call him another day and ask him that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any updates on this problem? It was happening big time in Alias last night, broadcast from KABC in Los Angeles. I'm viewing it via 1080i from a Dish 6000.

Dave

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Adebar is NOT crazy, I have seen it on Alias via Portland's KATU OTA on Dish 6000. It's a green haze that kinda flows and ebbs over the picture about every 15 seconds. It is subtle but noticeable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've seen this (top-left 1/8th of 42" panny has green grid) before too, but didn't pay much attention because it goes away. I usually see it just when changing to a new channel. I've seen it on a BEV 6000 and a Zenith DTV1080. I saw it last night on Alias with OTA (KGO, 7-1, SF bay area).

Could this have something to do with the dual role played by the Green cable of a component video cable?

-mark

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here's exactly what I see: everytime there is a camera change, everything looks fine for a split-second, and then the entire picture shifts to a green tint. It keeps the green tint until another camera change. This happens like clockwork.

A dialog scene with a different camera on each speaker's face makes this really easy to observe. At first it seems like a subtle problem. But once you notice it, you can't help looking for it! Very annoying. And it only seems to happen on ABC's true HD content (not on the upcasted SD material).

Dave

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've never seen a persistent problem here in Sacramento. When I first switch to the ABC channel, there are big blocks of green on the screen for just a couple of seconds, then it settles down into an excellent picture as soon as it locks in. If there are any problems after that, I sure haven't seen it. Could it have anything to do with the conversion from 720p to 1080i that most of our receivers have to do?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.