AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I disassembled an old Dell Ispiron E1705 that I had in the closet and am considering adding the 100 GB 7200rpm Hitachi Hard Drive (hts721010g9sa00) into the second hard drive bay of my Alienware M17.

However, I am curious about compatibility issues? I have been searching the net for any answers, but can't seem to find any. What should I do...? And assuming I will need to install drivers, etc., does anyone know the "steps" I should take?

I don't believe there are many compatibility issues with hard drive(s) and motherboards, but I want to make sure before I add it on. Also, if there were, what negative effects could I be looking at?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As long as you have an available IDE connector there really shouldn't be any issues, unless the old drive is malfunctioning in some way. Given The age of the drive I would definitely run some diags on it just to make sure is still good before I put anything importanat on it.

I recomend a program called Seatools. Its a free program available from Seagate but it can be used to test any hard drive not just theirs. Look for the bootable CD image on their web site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other question/concern if someone could answer....

I have an older version of Windows on the Hard Drive, but no computer to erase the file(s).... What should I do? If I try to start with both hard drives, it won't work with both copies of Windows...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The old drive should have jumper switches on it just make sure that "cable select" or "slave" is what the jumpers are set to. also check your PC's BIOS and make sure your current HDD is set ahead of the IDE drive in the boot sequence.

Honestly though, you should just be able to plug the drive in, boot to your current windows install and format the old drive (DO NOT FORMAT THE C: THIS IS TYPICALLY YOUR CURRENT WINDOWS INSTALL) from within windows without any problems. This will erase all the old data from the drive. The new (old) drive will probably show up as E: or F:

Typically:

Floppy-A:

CD/DVD-D:

Main hard Drive with curren windows install-C:

USB thumb drive or second hard drive-E:, F:, etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts