AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here taken a look at the new Navigator Pro PC from Alienware? It has Windows XP Media Center and the Pioneer DVR-A04 DVD burner. In fact, it looks like it has everything I need in anew PC and very little extra that I don't.

My one concern is its power supply, only 200 watts. This strikes me as horribly underpowered for video editing and writing DVD's.

Anyone care to take a look at this and tell me what you think?

http://www.alienware.com/main/system...igator-pro.asp

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi cmcjo,

Any thoughts on that power supply being 200 watts? That just seems way underpowered to me....

Thanks...

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
They do make proDV models with 400W power and carefully selected hard SCSI drives but with the standard Windows - not Media Edition.

I have an older AlienWare rig - you are paying for their customized hardware/software performance expertise. Certainly an equivalent Dell model will be cheaper - but will not be set up as well. To each his own. Personally I get paid to solve problems at work - and consider it a waste of my time to dink around setting up my own home computers when I am not getting paid for it!

I would hope they expand into Digital Connections market and followed this forum. They only recently moved away from gaming into other platforms like DV. For example AlienWare prefers Nvidia/Creative while this board prefers ATI/MidiMan.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
WOW - only $2000 and a free tee-shirt!

I can not see how it is possible, but if memory serves, MSMC only supports SVideo?, or was that just a limitation on the HP version?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Power ratings are meaningless when 95% of them are incorrect. That being said, the Shuttle computers that Alienware is using as OEM are of a very high quality and I haven't read of any power problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll second that.... Shuttle XPC's like the one used by Alienware to make their Media PC are solid... they seem to be underpowered, but DAMN, are they good... very solid machine... and if you want to look... you can get everything but the special version of XP for under $1200 or so

Jim

·
Registered
273 Posts
What exactly do you think you need more than a 200W PS for?

The unit has a processor that used about 50W, a HD that spins up at 19W and uses about 7W for read/write, which leave the graphics card, capture board, memory, MB chipset and a bunch of support hardware: all of which adds up to way less the 100W of power draw.

It's foolish to want a bigger PS than you need. All it will do is add heat and noise that you don't want.

-Dave

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I think put in a Revolution audio card, a Holo3D video capture card, and a Radeon and you have quite the powerful mini HTPC. I read all the hardware reviews of the OEM - seems quite the little powerhouse rivaling towerPCs. The only limitation was that dual big fast hard drives may present a cooling problem, but I like the quietness of no fans.

No need for many extra slots - it has firewire, ethernet, and USB2.0 built in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
How exactly are you planning on putting 2 PCI and 1 AGP card in a case XPC that has only 1 slot of each type? Its unlikely that a Holo3D card would fit inside anyway, it long enough to fill a full ATX 2.01 compliant case by itself. I also think that the XPC only has space for 1 HD...

-Dave

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Oops saw the slots on the back and assumed 2PCI/1AGP for some reason - you are right it is 1AGP/1PCI. 2-3.5" and 1-5.25" bays. I guess scratch the audio card and use onboard - and find out if the H3D fits!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.