AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk lately about the Plus Pianos specs of 450 lumens and a resolution of 848x480, and the negative response to these specs has led me to feel the need to share a little story with all whom may be interested. Once upon a time, I had an NEC LT150 in my home. For those who do not know, this is a 800 lumen XGA DLP machine. Along about this same time, BEN HUR was released on DVD. I therefore decided to embark on the "Great BEN HUR Screen Project". This consisted of a 4ft by 11 ft DIY screen made out of painters drop cloth material, discussed at great length in the screens forum. I also had a black curtain made that would reach from the ceiling to the floor that was also acoustically transparent, so that all my speakers and equipment could reside behind it. The screen hung in front of this, perfectly masking the overshoot of the 4x3 projector. This set up was perfectly matched to the 2.76 to 1 ratio of the great BEN HUR epic. The LT150 in this setup therefore put out 400 lumens and a resolution of 1024x371. And all I can say is..."This was the most religious movie experience I have ever had in my own home." I never once thought about brightness or resolution...I was simply totally immersed in one of the greatest movies of all time.

The moral of this story...

Don't get too hung up on numbers it's the experience that counts!

Story by, Sofa Cinema

Typing by, Sofa Cinema's wife

[This message has been edited by SofaCinema (edited 06-20-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.