AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , so I am moving and I have to decide if I want to change screen sizes from a 45"x80" 16:9 screen down to a roughly 35"x62" 16:9 screen . Basically the difference is going from 100" diagonal down to 72" diagonal [ only with a 16:9 image ] . I will be doing 1.78:1 [ not 2.35:1 ] .

-- I am curious to know what most of you are doing and what your impressions are for the different image sizes [ is 72" much better than 100" ] ?

-- I would expect even better PQ at 72" and certainly a brighter image but then again who knows since the 1031Q is defaulted to 100" .

-- I have done many sizes around 100" but nothing near 72" yet as I would need to change all the spacers [ no big deal just want to decide before I do it ;) ] .

--- This leads me to my next question ...

does anybody have any extra sets of spacers for the 1031Q that they would be willing to sell/trade ?

---- Thank You [ any/all suggestions appreciated :) ] ,

----- Jason

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Jason,

My current (permanent) setup is 46x82. But I did mess around with a smaller screen at one point before I ceiling mounted my 1031Q (I don't remember exactly, but it was probably ~65-70 wide, 16:9).

The light levels were definitely a little punchier: I could leave some background lights on. Now I pretty much need total light control. (This is all with a gain ~1 DIY screen.)

However 2.35:1 seemed REALLY SMALL compared to 46x82". :)

--kaleb

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input kaleb , this is exactly the types of things I am considering [ give up a larger image with great PQ for even more punch and better brightness on a smaller image ] .

-- I too have a DIY screen [ Parkland Plastics ] ;) .

-- 2.35:1 is my only real major concern with down-sizing [ probably worth it though since the image should just jump off the screen ;) ] .

----- Thanks [& keep em' coming :) ] ,

----- Jason

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I thought you had upgraditus Jason? Did you move instead?

Mark

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark ,

-- well I do want an NEC XG and had a decent amount saved for the purchase but had to invest it in buying a car instead ;) .

-- I am one of those really lucky with life's greatest gifts type of people so I end up paying the price with most everything else but guess what ... I am not complaining as I have a wonderful family that brings me more joy than anything else ever could :) .

---- Best Wishes All ,

----- Jason

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I hear you, we're car shopping for the missus right now (pram friendly)- and a cheap XG was recently for sale locally....family and car come first....just...

If a cheap Xtra comes up, grab that instead, they're pretty damn close to an XG.

Sorry about going OT.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have a Barco 1208 on a 100" diag 1.7 gain screen. Just got a 1031q that I am am going to flip, but have it running on the same screen as the 1208 right now.

Hey, it is a darn nice machine and with the lights out, the picture is just fine as far as brightness. With the lights on, the 1208 is brighter, but the 1031 has nothing to apologize for on the 100" screen (16:9)

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark ,

-- Yeah I am aware of the PG Xtra models but they seem to be even more difficult to find than the XG's .

Scott .

-- I know what you mean , for being such a small and low lumen PJ the 1031Q does a great job on a 100" diagonal screen . So I guess I should expect even more at 72" ;) .

---- Jason

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Jason,

Also consider going to a Sony 12XX series. Its a big improvement over the 1031. The cost is much less than th XG. I think its a logical "next step" for a budget minded person.

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark ,

-- I considered a 12xx series Sony but for the slight PQ boost I just could not justify the cost and SIZE of the units [ now obviously there are deals to be had out there but I am not one of those lucky folks that stumbles upon them ;) ] . I have pushed this 1031 so far that I don't think a minimal increase in PQ from a 12xx is going to get me too excited . The leap to an NEC XG however would be very significant for me [ I have seen several of them now and even helped with set-up so I know how incredible these XG PJ's are ] .

-- I am unable to upgrade at this time however so I just have to make the best of it ;) .

--- I am going to try my 1031Q at 72" 16:9 and see what happens , I am sure I will be happy with it for a while yet ...

----- Thanks for the comments/suggestions ,

------- Jason

*** [ anybody else care to share 1031Q screen size suggestions/comments ??? ] ***

·
Registered
615 Posts
Jason,

I havn't tried anything lower than 80 wide, but I find that I still get acceptable light output at that, although obviously I am driving the tubes a little hard. AT 72, you'd abviously be able to extend the life of your tubes if you so desired (although with how much upgrade itch you seem to have, maybe this isn't on your list of priorities).

Vic

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd love to hear how things work out Jason - I've running my 1031q at 16x9 with a 96" wide screen right now, so my 4x3 sdtv material is much narrower... the image definitely gets punchier.

I'm running 898x500 res or something like that at 60hz. I'm tempted to go back to 48hz... anywhoo... keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
JASON, we are looking for a home right now,and as soon as it happens..bye bye 1031!!i love it,but i actually want a bigger screen..i run 45" x 80" by the way..i'll be honest i couldn't imagine going smaller than this.

brickie

·
Registered
347 Posts
All this talk about upgrading from your 1031's has me depressed guys. What am I gonna do without the 1031 crew..? :) I guess I'll just have to buy whatever you guys buy to keep the support group together...

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vic ,

-- Not as concerned about tube life as I am with Image Quality ;) .

gravymaker ,

-- 96" Wide or 96" Diagonal ?

-- 96" Wide would be HUGE for a 1031Q !

-- I tried all the way up to 100" wide and found the best image was at 80" [ I am speaking width not diagonal ] .

--- I don't think that even when I upgrade I will sell off the 1031Q or if I do I would probably seek out another one ;) [ these little 1031Q's are just too much fun ] .

kaleb ,

-- I will post my findings on downsizing to 72" once the move and HT set-up is concluded [ should be about a month from now ] .

brickie ,

-- Well I can appreciate a really big image but when room size limits your viewing distance then it doesn't make sense to have a huge screen . I am at 45"x80" right now as well and it is actually a bit big for the current HT room since I am forced to have a seating distance of 10' [ due to my set-up configuration - PJ upright behind seating ] .

-- Good luck with the House hunting , find a nice dark finished basement ;) .

Best Wishes All ,

---- Jason

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use 96" wide (1.78 ratio) because my room size sort of demands it. Just, but only just bearable/sharp as I think this is too far away for the light output it gives, the size of the tubes and the resolution it can handle. 80" is the best compromise for this projector and will be the setup in my next house.

Also, a smaller screen would be a workaround for the internal ghosting I have. I don't know if everyone suffers this and it might well be the fault of the European Scart connector(board), but I can't get rid of it (it's not the cable or the source and seems to be worse then 2 years ago or I didn't notice it back then).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi all,

87" wide, 16:9 ratio, 848 x 480 resolution. Quite content with the setup, though occasionally dream of upgrading to bigger and better things.

Pete

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well those of you doing those huge screens with the 1031Q are obviously true Theater lovers . I am the type that hates Theaters since the image PQ suffers so much . I get really excited about great detail and black level vs. screen size . Now I know many people that are just blown away with how big a screen is and I have had people ask me why I didn't go bigger than 45"x80" . My response is simple ... PQ ! I tried larger images and just never felt satisfied with the image until I hit 80" (wide) .

-- Hopefully I will experience video nirvana with a 72" image since what I have obtained at near 100" is impressive [ especially for what these units cost in the used market ] .

------ Best Wishes All ,

-------- Jason

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.