AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have to buy a new Samsung 3-D TV to get them. From Blu-Ray.com

All Shrek Movies on 3D Blu-ray in 2010, Exclusive with Samsung (Update: for One Year)

Posted March 10, 2010 09:20 AM by Juan Calonge

Blu-ray 3D DreamWorks Animation announced yesterday the expansion of its strategic alliance with Samsung (see blu-ray.com, January 6), to feature an exclusive offering of the Shrek 3D film series in its entirety in 3D for the first time ever. This Blu-ray collection will be available during the second half of the year. The news was delivered at Samsung's Full HD 3D LED TV global launch press conference held in New York City.

"It is an incredibly exciting time for the industry at large, as we continue to see the proliferation of 3D in theaters globally at unprecedented rates and now thanks to Samsung's innovation leading the charge the capability to deliver a truly premium 3D experience for consumers in their homes. We are thrilled to be able to offer audiences the exciting opportunity to bring the world and characters of all of our Shrek movies home with them this year in 3D," said Jeffrey Katzenberg, DreamWorks Animation CEO.

With regard to back compatibility, Adam Gregorich from Home Theater Forum attended the press event and confirmed that the 3D edition of Monsters vs. Aliens 3D played back flawlessly in 2D on his laptop BD drive "without me needing to do anything." With 3D-capable hardware, 3D playback will also be seamless, as at least with Samsung there is an option in the menu that allows 3D BD content to automatically start playing back in 3D.

Update

In an interview with USA Today, Jeffrey Katzenberg confirmed that "you can't buy the Blu-ray 3D version of Monsters vs. Aliens or Shrek," and added: "They're exclusive to Samsung for a year."

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thank goodness I don't like Shrek 2 & 3. I probably wouldn't buy them even if they weren't Samsung 3-D exclusives.

·
Registered
792 Posts
So a movie company is limiting one of it's BIGGEST franchises, if not THE biggest, to a very specific group of people who buy a very specific type of TV?

I don't buy it one bit. It'll be exclusive for a little while but there's no way in hell they're not going to make the Shrek saga available to everyone on bluray, not just Samsung. What, are they in the home video industry for loyalty? Yeah, no.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Where it is not a good move to me it could be worse.

They could have made you buy one of their blu-ray players instead.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin /forum/post/18290646

So a movie company is limiting one of it's BIGGEST franchises, if not THE biggest, to a very specific group of people who buy a very specific type of TV?

Samsung is the world's largest TV brand, it's not that specific (and their market share will likely be much bigger when it comes to 3D TVs). Note however they're just saying the 3D version will be Samsung exclusive, it doesn't say anything about not releasing a regular 2D version during that time.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I'd rather wait and not get them 3D-ized. Why the rush to 3D everyhting under the sun? I just don't get it....

Seggers

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Yep, just gimmie the first and maybe the second if its a slow period in good ole traditional, boring 2D and I'd be way happy.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
These weren't originally in 3D and just imho only the first one is a good film so really no big. Now if they pulled this with say AVATAR....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/18291019

Note however they're just saying the 3D version will be Samsung exclusive, it doesn't say anything about not releasing a regular 2D version during that time.

Thank you for the lesson in reading comprehension. The head of the nail has been hit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well, looks like Katzenberg sells out again. Obviously they'll be getting more money from Samsung than they would have if they released this set into the incredibly tiny 3D marketplace. Guess I can't blame him for maximizing his bottom line but I would have liked to buy these.

So lets see... Shrek and Monsters/Aliens is only packed with new Samsungs. Fox is apparently saying they don't want to release Avatar 3D this year... exactly what content are we supposed to be buying again for all these 3D TVs?

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers /forum/post/18291101

I'd rather wait and not get them 3D-ized. Why the rush to 3D everyhting under the sun? I just don't get it....

Seggers

I don't get it either.

My only guess is that either Blu-ray or packaged media sales in general are not what were expected (or are predicted to slump) and 3D is hoped to counteract the downward trend.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Never really got the appeal of the Shrek movies, anyway.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers /forum/post/18291101

Why the rush to 3D everyhting under the sun?

Seggers

There's the famous AVSforum hyperbole.

A tiny handful of movies have been slated for likely 3D release.

What do you define as "everything under the sun" and what do you define as "rush"?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18293241

Never really got the appeal of the Shrek movies, anyway.

What? When my daughter was 2 she watched 1 and 2 every day for over a month. Now does it make sense?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/18293305

I see where you're coming from, but I also see his point. There's certainly a lot of 3D talk floating around in the upcoming gear articles and the like. Manufacturers know this is the next cash wave for them, and I don't think it will be long before that's practically all we hear about (new 3D equipment and converted movies).

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/18293305

A tiny handful of movies have been slated for likely 3D release.

What do you define as "everything under the sun" and what do you define as "rush"?

It is not just movies. It is also hardware announcements.

I've been seeing four or five new 3D-equipped player/TV/receiver/graphics cards/game consoles, etc. press announcements per day.

Not to mention talk of 3D sports programs and other cable/broadcast programming.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18293445

What? When my daughter was 2 she watched 1 and 2 every day for over a month. Now does it make sense?

I don't hate them, but they were never anything I felt a desire to watch repeatedly. My daughter (3-4 at the time) never really got into them, either. Pixar movies are another story, though. She ate them alive over and over again.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts