AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the September issue of Sound and Vision magazine, (the article is not available on-line yet), Brent Butterworth compared 6 subs including the Fathom F112, SVS PB-12 Plus, Axiom EP600 v2, the Bag End PD12E-1, PSB SubSeries 500, and Velodyne Optimum-12.


In the hallowed, (or should I same lame?) tradition of many of the tests done by S&V, each sub, (with the possible exception of the Bag End) was found to have one or more characteristics that made it a contender for best in show.


The article should be on-line in a month or so.


As far as I am concerned, the "winner" is the SVS PB-12 Plus. Here is what Butterworth had to say about the Plus:


"The PB-12 Plus at least matches the peformance of any subwoofer in this test, and its price is about 40% less than that of the the next-least-expensive sub we tested. If you have room for this behemoth, it's probably the best deal going for a high-end subwoofer."


You may get a sense of what half-baked universe Butterworth is living in from this statement in the introduction.


"For these tests, we chose subs with 12 inch drivers, which strike a balance between the speed and punch of 10- and 8- inch models, on the one hand, and the raw power of 15-and 18-inch ones."


Too bad they didn't give this assignment to Tom Nousaine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/17004659


"For these tests, we chose subs with 12 inch drivers, which strike a balance between the speed and punch of 10- and 8- inch models, on the one hand, and the raw power of 15-and 18-inch ones."

Ugh. Why do editors let idiot text like that stand? Don't they know anything about the subject their magazines cover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
How bout an ID shootout only..you know something we might buy...rofl..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
The only loser is the reader.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
I doubt bag end advertises there.


I would like to see the review even though sound and vision has there "shootouts" and no one ever wins. I would just like to read what they say about the subs. May go out and waste my money on an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine416 /forum/post/17005302


Let me guess, all 6 manufacturers are also advertisers?

Most likely....except for bag end (as mentioned above).


What drivel.


This is yet another great example of why these magazines are absolutely terrible. They lag months behind on product reviews/news and their reviews are questionable at best (because they are fueled with advertising dollars).


It is no wonder that they have all fallen substantially in their subscription numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts
Some people looking to buy a new component will find this type of article helpful. For example, one might be looking for a new sub, and after reading up on the SVS elsewhere, needs a little push to get off of the fence. Reading this artical might help sort out a few things and assist in narrowing it down.

One thing that bothers me about a lot of manufacturers, when visiting their web site is trying to figure out the different levels of quality to the components...the entry level, vs. mid grade,vs. the top of the line. They always over hype even the entry level. They will highlight a feature on the entry level product, highlight a different feature on the mid grade, and again, a different one on the top product. This leads to confusion, IMO because they fear the full disclosure will hurt them. So, an article like this is helpful to me.

The S&V article has me leaning toward the SVS as well, although I'm gathering info on the 13". Which one of those subs is at the top of your list?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
I don't know what was more ridiculous; the fact that there was no true winner or the annoyingly pathetic way that he tried to break the subs into 2 camps (mods vs. trads).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
For those who used to read such magazines decades ago: Sound and Vision magazine was created by the merger of Stereo Review and Video magazines in 1998. The review style of the article reminds me a lot of the old Stereo Review -- which was dirt cheap in the day ($4.99/yr subscriptions), packed with glossy ads, and never seemed to say anything negative about any product under review.


SCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/17009130


Most likely....except for bag end (as mentioned above).


What drivel.


This is yet another great example of why these magazines are absolutely terrible. They lag months behind on product reviews/news and their reviews are questionable at best (because they are fueled with advertising dollars).


It is no wonder that they have all fallen substantially in their subscription numbers.

What's so disgusting about advertising? I like to see advertising in the audio mags.. Where would you like the AV manufacturers to advertise, in "Sewing and Knitting Monthly"? IMO, if the magazines are hurting, it's because only a very small percentage of people have a daily interest in Home Theater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/17004659


"For these tests, we chose subs with 12 inch drivers, which strike a balance between the speed and punch of 10- and 8- inch models, on the one hand, and the raw power of 15-and 18-inch ones.".

Ok, they have no clue what their talking about. My 21" pro sub has more of a punchy sound than my pb-13 ultra.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,419 Posts
I wasn't going to read that article in my S&V mag, but after reading all you guys going on I think I give a fast scan..


Also this issue has the weight of a small town penny saver, not much ads I'm guessing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
This article does one thing well. It introduces lines of subwoofers that the average joe has never heard of. (except maybe Velodyne.)


Do a survey of 50 people and I bet none of them have heard of Axiom?

SVS? JL Audio? No way.


So, yes the article was fluff, but... It highlights subs in the $ 1000-3000 range. Subs you won't find in your local Best Buy or Sam's club!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/17019140


This article does one thing well. It introduces lines of subwoofers that the average joe has never heard of. (except maybe Velodyne.)


Do a survey of 50 people and I bet none of them have heard of Axiom?

SVS? JL Audio? No way.


So, yes the article was fluff, but... It highlights subs in the $ 1000-3000 range. Subs you won't find in your local Best Buy or Sam's club!

Your average Joe also doesn't read audio video magazines. For the people that do we have heard of most of them if not all of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
The issues have gotten a lot thinner lately (along with other magazines). I imagine due to printing costs. They also said they are under a new publisher (I want to say same as Field & Stream.. they quoted others).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
I just picked up last months issue, which is actually the June/July/August issue and its decently thick, but is very thin for a 3 month issue. Still haven't got this issue. I guess that grocery stores keeping up to date audio video magazines is not a high priority.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/17019710


I just picked up last months issue, which is actually the June/July/August issue and its decently thick, but is very thin for a 3 month issue. Still haven't got this issue. I guess that grocery stores keeping up to date audio video magazines is not a high priority.

So true. The Barnes and Noble by me, NYC, recently removed all the HT magazines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts
The AV mags get thin in the summertime.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top