AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4600 and it has been working fine. Today I was setting up a RS232 connector to tell the projector to turn on/off remotely via my remote. During this period the projector acted wierd turning on/off a couple of times. When it turned back on the convergence was gone, all internal settings appreared to be gone.

Now, in attempting to reconverge, I have noticed that I cannot use most of the raster. The picture is way over to the left (ceiling mount). When I try to use phase to move it to the right, at max phase it is almost there, BUT, the picture wraps backaround way short of the right side of my screen. When I adjust the blanking the wrap around point does not change. This is almost 1.5 inches (approx) from the edge of tube!!.

How can I adjust the beam on the CRT to use the appropriate amount of tube? Can this wraparound point be moved? Is there some internal setting which tells the computer the SAFE limits so people do not use too much raster??

Please help.

Chris

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Not sure I follow your RS232 episode. It sounds like you managed to send it multiple Power On/Power Off toggle commands by repeating the ASCII character "O" to the projector somehow.

Are you using one of those eBay multi-function XI-100 Ampro infrared remotes and receiver? If so, those are likely to be pre-production models that didn't buffer the keystrokes properly. Holding down a key while waiting for the projector to respond will result in the projector receiving multiple commands and will try to act on them all, hence power on and off.

Is there any chance a weird command code like "22 code" got sent which would cause another channel to get copied into your current channel?

What are you using for a display source when you setup convergance? Do you have another channel setup and converged to see if there was an impact on it also?

Ray

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the issue is not the RS232 code. Everything you are sayings is accurate about the RS232 episode. As far as the wierd command copying over my convergence, that is probably true. (It wasn't write protected, or duplicated in another channel. Something I intend to fix).

Now, the real problem...

In trying to reconverge the projector, I noticed the raster is off to one side. I actually have to change the horizontal phase to max (right) to get it close to the center of my screen. Except when that is done the right edge still will not approach the right side of the screen. The blank is not the problem, as I try to expand the blanking, the signal lines double back on their selves as should happen if the raster is too wide. The problem is that this happens a foot inside of the right side of my screen (and more than 1 inch from the edge of the tube looking in the lens).

Somehow the projector has moved the rastor area to the side and doesn't know it. Is there anyway to reset the center of the raster area, and how wide it should let me project? If I cannot do this, I don't know how I can use the projector.

Chris

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I understand that this is not an RS232 problem, but you haven't given any information about what you are using as a display source as a place to start trouble shooting.

Are you feeding an interlaced dvd signal into the quad card, or say feeding a line doubled signal from an Iscan into the RGB card? Maybe a HTPC using PowerStrip into the RGB card? Are you trying to converge using a projector internal test pattern?

The point is, the projector only acts upon signals fed into it. The horizontal and vertical sync signals and video image timing are generated at the display source. Folded images may be a result of the projector being asked to do something it can't do.

Changing the phase adjustment doesn't move the raster. It moves the video image within the raster by adjusting the timing of when the video image is turned on after a new scan line is started. The raster is created by the external horizontal and vertical sync signals.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I didn't think that mattered. I am using a DVD player going through a crystalscan 4.0 at 720p going to ampro via RGB1 input (5 lead input). Also, just that morning, everything was fine.

It is also interesting to note the test pattern in the projector is also shoved over to the left. Both the 1-3 patterns which use an internal preset frequency, and the 4 test pattern which uses the external frequency.

I was reconverging with the Avia disk.

Chris

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Info!!

I removed the registration (code 55) and everything was back centered over the screen again. I was then able to use the outside registration codes to shift things enough to get the screen covered by a signal inside the registration. Now I should be able to calibrate the projector again!!

Thanks for the info. It was just enough to jog me in the right direction.

Chris.

PS. Is it normal for an AmPro to WANT to shift things to the side so much?? This projector was set up with laser levels and is dead center on screen, but the projector itself seems to want things off about 10 degrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.