AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I posted this in the right section.

Ok after lurking in the plasma section I finally got my 58 Panasonic plasma now I'm looking for the speaker set up It's in a room that's approx 20-3 x 11-10 (sit approx 16 ft away from T.V.) that has a wide open archway into the kitchen All that I have (and plan on having) is an HD Rogers box and a PS3 I have a budget of $1200 - $1500 CDN. Not too much music, mostly games, movies and T.V.

After going to a few stores, some big box some small it's pretty much came up to two different ways of going about this.

1) Get it all at once with Onkyo HT-6100 which no one has showed me but kept on saying how it was a really big seller Also would be able to upgrade w/ a 606 receiver (which has some good reviews from my browsing)

OR

2) Build it piece by piece One of the smaller stores recommended this and I never even thought about it before. They we're recommending a Denon AVR1909 receiver w/ a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 tower speakers They let me here them by themselves and what it could sound like once all the other stuff is in place

I was impressed but the three items but they were more expensive then the whole Onkyo package I'm not an audiophile but I do like good equipment, otherwise I wouldn't have splurged for the panny

Any thoughts or recommendations would be most appreciated This forum has helped me before on my purchase; hopefully it can do the same one least time.

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can approach it a number of ways. None is right and none is wrong depending on what you have laid out in the future.

My first set up - I bought an ok reciever and a paradigm monitor 5.1 set up (mini monitors, adp170, cc370, pdr12). They worked great for 5 years. I then upgraded the fronts, then the surrounds, then the receiver, and now have the center in storage till I get a tv like yours mounted on the wall (can't fit my center in the rack just yet). My upgrade process has taken well over a year, but has been a fun ride.

On one hand - get it all now and slowly piece things out (upgrade and sell on craigslist piece by piece)

On the other hand - carefully select your toys at first and slowly build.

Or - just get it all now and you might just be happy with the lower end onkyo set up.

It all depends on how much you want to make this a hobby. I didn't think I would get hooked on upgrades when I bought my first system. I put a little thought into it. My brother on the other hand - he has a similar system as my first one, put little thought into it, and is extremely happy. The difference - he likes having great sound, but electronics is not his hobby and he does not have the time like most on this forum to spend on this like I do. Most of us on this forum do.

Out of your options and I were to do it again - I would opt for the paradigm 7's and a receiver and build off that.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i think taking it slow and building it piece by piece you will end up with a better overall system...but you will also probably spend more money in the long run. But the 1909 and the towers would be a great start...but make sure you can find a CC that matches the towers...maybe buy those 3 items at once.

Then start shopping for a sub....and keep your eyes out for some discount rear and rear surround speakers....JMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts