AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all of the silver Motorola Comcast cable boxes that have DVR also HD boxes? I was told this when I upgraded to DVR, but at the time I did not have a HD TV.

I am currently waiting for my new HD TV to be delivered and Comcast is telling me that my DVR box is not a HD box. Could this be true? I got this DVR box from Comcast about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Who told you your current box is HD? I would listen to Comcast. You can still get HD though, in 2 ways I believe. 1) Rabbit ears. 2) Bypass the box and use your TV's onboard digital tuner... You obviously wouldn't have DVR functionality with either of those solutions.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If I remember correctly, all the DVR boxes from comcast are also HD.

One quick way to check is to turn the box off. Then hit MENU on your comcast remote. It should say 480i or 480p in one line. Highlight it and try changing it by hitting the left or right arrow. If 720p or 1080i show up then it is HD capable.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
With very rare exception (0.1%), all Comcast DVRs are also HDTV.

Turn the box off and press menu to see the HD output options.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafx4 /forum/post/12919772

Are all of the silver Motorola Comcast cable boxes that have DVR also HD boxes? I was told this when I upgraded to DVR, but at the time I did not have a HD TV.

I am currently waiting for my new HD TV to be delivered and Comcast is telling me that my DVR box is not a HD box. Could this be true? I got this DVR box from Comcast about 2 years ago.

All the DVRs are HD as well unless you have the PACE DVR. This isnt manufactured by moto however and is a low end SD DVR with a smaller hard drive for a few less bucks a month.

Hook it up using componants or HDMI if you have the output for it. Enjoy the picture!

As suggested however, turn the power off with the remote, hit MENU a second after and it should being up the settings menu for aspect ratio and the like.

If you see that, its HD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts