AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that some players like the A3 output at 1080i and others like the XA2 output at 1080p. However, if I send the A3 into my Onkyo 905 AVR, which has the same Reon chip, then will the outcome be exactly the same as if I played from an XA2?

Even if I did not have the 905, so long as my TV (Sharp 46D64U) deinterlaces properly (which it does), it would still be the same?

In this case is there any difference between a low end player like the A3 and a high end player like the XA2, video quality wise?

I surmise that with my 905, DVD playback would be equally as good as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You will get mixed answers for this.

When proper pulldown is done by the deinterlacer (for film content at least), the output should identical to a player putting out proper 1080p.

There is a variance though as how the player gets its 1080p output and the quality of any deinterlacer external to the player.

The only completely foolproof method is get 24fps output directly from the player with no resolution or frame rate conversions in between.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
As far as the HD side of the equation PQ should be the same. As far as error correction side of the equation I will bet the XA2 wins hands down. I only had an A3 for about two hours. That cured me.

Does the 905 have the same picture adjustments as the XA2 vis a vis mosquito noise etc for upconvert?

And a chip is dependent on an algorithm to operate. Is the algorithm as robust in the 905?

I will stick with my XA2s regardless.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12888493

As far as the HD side of the equation PQ should be the same. As far as error correction side of the equation I will bet the XA2 wins hands down. I only had an A3 for about two hours. That cured me.

Does the 905 have the same picture adjustments as the XA2 vis a vis mosquito noise etc for upconvert?

And a chip is dependent on an algorithm to operate. Is the algorithm as robust in the 905?

I will stick with my XA2s regardless.

Yes, the 905 offers the same PQ adjustments as the XA2. However, I believe these only affect sources under 1080p (i.e. DVD upconversion) but not a 1080p source. The XA2 the same, correct? (I believe that is what you are saying here.) Don't the PQ adjustments only affect DVD upconversion, not an HD-DVD?

So basically it should be the same, other than the 24 fps issue, which only the XA2 can output (but my TV cannot display this natively anyhow, so it's a non-issue for me).

I have an Oppo 970 which outputs 480i over HDMI into my 905, which I use for DVD playback, which theoretically should get me the same results as an XA2. So basically I am trying to decide if there is any need for me to get an XA2 or can I live with an A3.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I just went from an A1 to an A35 for my 720p DLP Sammy. And the A35 has a difference for HD DVD. The 3:2 pulldown is smoother and the 720 output produces a better picture then the A1 set at 1080I(the 720 output is mussed up on the A1). If you do not have a TV that does 1080 24fps the quality of the video processeror in the player will have a effect on the picture you see.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
A3 = error codes for me.

XA1 and XA2s = never a problem for me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The A3 sent through your 905 should be very similar to the XA2 because as you know, both use the REON. However, the Reon is just the chip and software still runs it, the XA2's software probably runs it better from what I've read, but not by much. Just stay away from the A30/35 as they don't do proper deinterlacing and really need to be run at 1080i anyways to get the best picture (using the TV to deinterlace or in your case the 905). And so you might as well just have the A3 in the end. I had an A35 and XA2 I was comparing and ended up returning the A35. When testing the deinterlacing ability of the player, the A35 was worst, my TV was second and the XA2 was the best. Most people won't even notice the A35's problems with deinterlacing but when you compare certain disks back to back the results are terrible in certain scenes. In your situation the only reason I'd get the XA2 over the A3 is to be able to bitstream TrueHD and DTSHDMA and use your 905 to decode them. I personally enjoy my receiver's decoding (onkyo 705) over the XA2's decoding. Some will agree, many will say there is no difference...you need to decide for yourself.

Long story short, there can be a difference in HDDVD PQ in certain situations between different players. (the last thing to consider is if your TV accepts 1080p24, which could make the A30 or A35 very much worth it over the A3 or to save money over the XA2).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts