AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for entry level crestron system- that is way too much- I am beginning to design home renovation- no way I am spending $40 K plus when all I want is central music, zone lighting and MAYBE climate control- any ideas ?- what should be a reasonable budget ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It all depends on how many zones for your lights and audio.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I dont think 40 K is all that unreasonable to have a pro do the work for you. Especially if he is using Crestron stuff.

I spent over 15K and my system will never be as good as a Crestron system. And I did all the work myself.

And as Studio said, it really depends on what is included.

Does it include ceiling speakers, and the wiring for it? Wiring for the keypads? The programming and setup is a big cost also.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You could do more of the work yourself and use a software based control system like CQC . I'll be happy to work with you to get drivers done for any devices you want to use.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sell, Sell, Sell! Go buy some ad space already!

He didn't ask for alternatives to Crestron or products to use for music. He asked for advise on a budget.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, how big is the project? How many zones of light? How many rooms of music? What do you want to distribute? Have you owned a/v equipment in the past that you liked? What was it? These are typically the questions where a converstaion starts in the process of determining scope of work and cost. To tell you the truth, $40k sounds modest w/o having the answers to these questions, (Our average music system is $35K, but its not the average home in my part of the business). I guess the final question is, does the end result seem appropriate. If you take alook at your home, and the quality of the materials and workmanship throughout the rest of it, did you choose the finest linens, and a spatial designer, or did you and your wife decide on a color scheme together and your best friend is pouring the slab in the basement. (Typically its somewhere in between.) BTW, this isn't a value judgement here, one hopes the end result is the same, you build the home you'd like to have. Its the comfort level we are looking for. Functionally, every system works very much the same. The end result varies by degree, and what we would like to do is guage your level of expectation, and then exceed it, without having you test drive each.

Sorry, the keyboard got away from me for a minute...

jcmitch

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Attention Dean...check your PM.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Sell, Sell, Sell! Go buy some ad space already!

He didn't ask for alternatives to Crestron or products to use for music. He asked for advise on a budget.
Well, if I had enough money to pay my rent for a couple more months, I might consider buying some ad space. But, given that my options right now would be ad space or eating and have an apartment for a few more months, the ad really isn't an option for me. It was clear his budget wasn't going to cover a Crestron system, so I offered an alternative. I appologize for trying to help him out.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You can use Lutron Radio Ra for lighting and AudioRequest for music and you shouldn't spend over $20,000 depending on how many zones you need. You need to better define your requirements and what you mean by a music system. What A/V gear do you have now?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm sorry I offended you by dedicating my entire life to bringing a high quality, low cost alternative to the automation world.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
kc51295

40K on a system could be a steal or over the top. Without plans and details its just a post with the relevant info.

There reasons why Creston works so well and sells itself.

Dean- Why not ask David for some AVS needed work of some kind for a post that is pined at the top. JMO but I'm sure there is a way to keep you product visible without you having to rack up posts.

Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks more like you dedicated your life to getting some of that AMX/Crestron money. :)

High quality low cost products only exist on Madison Ave. In the real world high quality usually comes with a high price tag .

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
High quality low cost products only exist on Madison Ave. In the real world high quality usually comes with a high price tag .
My product is very high quality, and very inexpensive compared to products of it's type, so clearly they do exist in the real world, despite your obviously deep knowledge on the subject. If you are going to whine to Dave about my posting about it, then quit talking about it so I won't have to keep defending it.

Quote:
Dean- Why not ask David for some AVS needed work of some kind for a post that is pined at the top. JMO but I'm sure there is a way to keep you product visible without you having to rack up posts.
It turns out that there is a press release area, which I'd never known about and which hadn't been pointed out to me before by the AVS folks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
kc51295,

Besides the number of zones for lighting, audio, equipment included, etc. Another very big cost component to Crestron are their touch panels. The larger one, 10" and above cost upwards $10k!! And like many other responses I'm a firm believer that you typically get what you pay for.

Maybe your needs dont require the sophistication of a Crestron solution. There are several other solutions that dont replace Crestron, but rather focus on certain aspects of a whole house solution. Those areas of focus maybe enough for you (like Lutron RadioRA for lighting, AudioReQuest for digital music (similar to Escient), Russound for limited audio distirbution, and numerous PC centric control solutions like CQC and others). But for a total, seamless solution thats first rate I believe Crestron is it.

my 2 cents.

Al

Al

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've never presented it as anything other than an option, and I've never presented it as an option where it's not a valid option.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
To Deans defense, he has been a valuable contributor to AVS forum. Writing the QCQ on his own without pay.(Nuts if you ask me!) . Giving it away to beta testers on AVS. It's always nice to read a debate about control systems and without people like Dean we would still be in the dark ages. I would't be bombarded with the democratic primary at each release of the channel up button :D

I wouldn't mind trying out CQC for myself as I'm a DIY. Not something I would bring to my clients as they demand more service and flexibility than Dean offers at this time.

Dave

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Thank you. And if there is anything specific that you feel it's missing before it would become a viable option for your customers, I'm always glad to hear constructive criticism. I've already got plenty on my plate, but I can always just drink more coffee.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.