1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABC shuffles veteran soaps

Wed Aug 5, 2009 2:26am EDT

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - ABC Daytime said on Tuesday it would move production of "All My Children" to Los Angeles from New York in December as part of a cost-cutting plan.

Additionally, "One Life to Live" will move into "All My Children's" former New York space.

The new facility for "All My Children" is twice as large as its current one. It includes two stages, allows for more standing sets and for an immediate switch to high-definition TV. "One Life to Live" also will expand as its new home is 30 percent larger than its current space.

"All My Children" will begin taping episodes in Los Angeles the week of January 4, 2010, and will begin airing in HD in February. The move of "One Life To Live" to its new home will take place soon after "All My Children" relocates.

"The move to Los Angeles enables both 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' to dramatically improve the series production models and achieve significant efficiencies while enhancing each show," said Brian Frons, president of the daytime for Disney ABC Television Group.

"We had to examine every option on the table to combat the current economic realities, and rising costs of production, and we are doing it in a way that makes each of our shows stronger," he added.

"All My Children" has been on the air for 39 years, "One Life to Life" for 41. "All My Children" airs every workday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., with "One Life to Live" following from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Once a staple of daytime programing, soaps have hit rough times. Earlier this year, CBS canceled "The Guiding Light" after a 72-year-run, replacing it with a new version of game show "Let's Make a Deal."

ABC, too, has been exploring other options for its current afternoon block of three daytime dramas, including a pilot for a talk show hosted by Aisha Tyler.

(Editing by dean.goodman at Reuters)

http://www.reuters.com/article/telev...5741B820090805

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'All My Children,' 'One Life to Live' Moving to New Production Facilities

Soap Operas Make Moves but Will Still Air at Same Times

By SHEILA MARIKAR

Aug. 4, 2009

"All My Children" and "One Life to Live" are getting new homes -- but you can still catch them at their old times.

ABC Daytime announced today that it would move production of "All My Children" from New York to Los Angeles and that "One Life to Live" would move into "All My Children's" former New York space, giving both shows facility upgrades and streamlined production models.

"All My Children's" new facility is twice as large as its current one. It includes two stages, which will allow it to keep more standing sets. It will also allow the series to switch immediately from standard-definition to high-definition TV.

"One Life to Live" will enjoy similar upgrades when the show moves into "All My Children's" old home, which is 30 percent larger than "One Life to Live's" current space.

After the show relocates in December, "All My Children" will begin taping episodes in Los Angeles the week of Jan. 4, 2010, and will begin airing in HD in February. The move of "One Life To Live" to its new home takes place soon after "All My Children" relocates.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...8247876&page=1

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ABC Daytime Taps Andrita Media Center for 'All My Children's' New HD Production Facility

Andrita providing new production facilities for ABC's 'All My Children'

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Broadcast Facilities, Inc. (BFI), owner and operator of Andrita Media Center, the largest independent SD and HD network origination, production, post-production and digital media facility on the West Coast, announced today that, under a long term agreement, Andrita will be providing HD production facilities and services for ABC Daytime's "All My Children." As the new home of "All My Children," Andrita's state-of-the-art production facility will enable the celebrated series to make an immediate transition from Standard-Definition to High-Definition. Included in the long term agreement, Andrita Media Center will provide ABC with Andrita Stage 1 (18,000 square feet), Andrita Stage 2 (10,000 square feet), multi-camera HD production facilities and associated production offices. The production will begin relocating to Andrita in December; will commence producing episodes in January and the first HD episodes of "All My Children" will air in February.

"To be the new production facility for this iconic daytime television classic and to shoot it in HD is an honor," commented Bill Tillson, BFI's President and Chief Operating Officer. "The Andrita Media Center takes great pride in becoming the new home of "All My Children" and we look forward to continuing our relationship with ABC which started with the shooting of "General Hospital: Night Shift 2" at Andrita in 2008."

About Broadcast Facilities, Inc's Andrita Media Center

The Andrita Media Center is a state-of-the-art 106,000 sq. ft. multi-channel HD/SD digital server based network origination, satellite transmission, production and post-production media facility located in Los Angeles, California. Andrita originates a large roster of networks 24/7 including: MGM HD, Hallmark HD Movie Channel, The Tennis Channel HD and SD, Current TV, SiTV, Universal Sports Network, Game Show Network, AFN, the Africa Channel US and UK and three Tai Seng Asian movie Channels to name a few. Andrita's HD/SD production facilities and stages are utilized by multiple high-profile production clients including: MTV, HBO, ABC, CBS and 20th Century Fox Television. Andrita houses a fully integrated tapeless digital post-production environment including 40 Final Cut Pro HD/SD edit stations and three audio suites. In addition to channel origination and transmission services, Andrita provides disaster recovery, transcode/encode digital media creation to all major encode specifications including VOD, digital media manipulation including metadata, and digital file transfers via satellite, fiber, and IP. For more information please visit: www.andrita.com

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...5079519&EDATE=

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lets hope they leave behind the "film Look". Then I'll start watching again.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 /forum/post/18018415

I hope the make up department is stocking up on the extra pancake make up for all the aging stars! Wrinkles in HD...not a pretty sight.

Um, you mean airbrushed makeup ala The Tonight Show since 1999? Extra pancake shows up actually. Only airbrushed liquid makeup actually looks better in HD.

Flat front lighting + HD cameras' skin detail feature cranked down all the way = what NBC's Today show pretty much does.

I wouldn't be surprised if All My Children & One Life to Live went with 1/4 or 1/2 Pro Mist filters on all the lenses at all times.

Hopefully these soaps will opt for a framerate of 24P on the HD cameras instead of 30 or 60. We'll see...

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspaz /forum/post/18020638

Um, you mean airbrushed makeup ala The Tonight Show since 1999? Extra pancake shows up actually. Only airbrushed liquid makeup actually looks better in HD.

Flat front lighting + HD cameras' skin detail feature cranked down all the way = what NBC's Today show pretty much does.

I wouldn't be surprised if All My Children & One Life to Live went with 1/4 or 1/2 Pro Mist filters on all the lenses at all times.

Hopefully these soaps will opt for a framerate of 24P on the HD cameras instead of 30 or 60. We'll see...

I doubt that their directors know how to shoot a show in 24 fps, seeing how they've been doing 29.97 since day one. If they go for the gimmick, they will be disappointed.

Why go HD if your going to put mist filters on them? All you've gained is a wider aspect ratio, but they'll probably frame 4x3 safe. Why bother?

More hype than substance in a move to "HD."

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorolasucks /forum/post/18023520

Sony HDC-950 cameras

Shot in 1080i 59.94

Output to 720p in post-prod.

I'm sure this is not accurate. The CCU's have to be set for 720p or ABC will not accept the show. They insist on "native" 720p for programs produced just for them. (A silly requirement if you ask me, considering the quality of format converters.)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/18025488

I doubt that their directors know how to shoot a show in 24 fps, seeing how they've been doing 29.97 since day one. If they go for the gimmick, they will be disappointed.

I can't remember which ABC soap was doing skip field to try to emulate 30p, but IMO it was some of the worst video around. It was heavily enhanced with thick edges, and the field resolution caused lots of artifacts, not to mention vertically soft. It was too bright with visible clipping. I just don't know how they could have made it look much worse. The good thing is the enhancement issue is usually resolved when going to HD with the desire to not show too much detail of the actors.

Taping in 1080i and converting to 720p would still look very good. I wonder if ABC would play hardball on that for a daytime show. They didn't seem to mind the horrible video with the faux 30p, and this would be nowhere as bad. Even with all the filtering that may be added, a major benefit is leaving the 1980s edgy look behind. Too bad that look seems to have survived on a lot of sports, particularly when LDK6Ks are used.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD /forum/post/18026150

I can't remember which ABC soap was doing skip field to try to emulate 30p, but IMO it was some of the worst video around.

Probably the General Hospital spin off Port Charles...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/18026401

Probably the General Hospital spin off Port Charles...

It looks like that was cancelled some time ago. I think it's one of the two shows mentioned in this thread as a previous post mentioned the "film look". IMO just bad video, especially in this era.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/18025505

I'm sure this is not accurate. The CCU's have to be set for 720p or ABC will not accept the show. They insist on "native" 720p for programs produced just for them. (A silly requirement if you ask me, considering the quality of format converters.)

it's accurate....i would know...trust me!

The CCU's are capable of 23.98 or 59.94, or 59.94 pulldown from 23.98.

And as i said the cameras are Sony 950's which don't support 720p.

Post-production takes in 1080i. When editing/cuts are completed, the completed show is output to 720p, to D5.

Night Shift was done some-what the same way, but with FCP, and downconverted on the fly to 525 with Kona 3 card (possibly Kona 2's, i don't remember)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/18025505

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorolasucks /forum/post/18033305

it's accurate....i would know...trust me!

The CCU's are capable of 23.98 or 59.94, or 59.94 pulldown from 23.98.

And as i said the cameras are Sony 950's which don't support 720p.

Post-production takes in 1080i. When editing/cuts are completed, the completed show is output to 720p, to D5.

So this "new" production facility has 950's? Technically, shows produced there would go against ABC's rules, although as I said, it's a silly requirement. Five years ago you couldn't tell the difference between native 720p and 1080i-converted-to-720p. Nowadays, the latter looks better than the former, and you can't get the same results doing it in post. The Sony 1500-series cameras (and cameras from other manufacturers) put out derived 720p from the CCU, and it looks better that native 720p cameras.

ABC bought into 720p hook, line, and sinker over ten years ago. They have to save face by demanding 720p "native." I wonder if anyone at ABC would pay extra for 720p anymore... When all else fails, just lower your standards.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/18034427

So this "new" production facility has 950's? Technically, shows produced there would go against ABC's rules, although as I said, it's a silly requirement. Five years ago you couldn't tell the difference between native 720p and 1080i-converted-to-720p. Nowadays, the latter looks better than the former, and you can't get the same results doing it in post. The Sony 1500-series cameras (and cameras from other manufacturers) put out derived 720p from the CCU, and it looks better that native 720p cameras.

ABC bought into 720p hook, line, and sinker over ten years ago. They have to save face by demanding 720p "native." I wonder if anyone at ABC would pay extra for 720p anymore... When all else fails, just lower your standards.

The facility isn't "new" It's been active since 2002. Playboy shot there exclusively for a few years, as they owned it at one point in time.

The studio went HD around 2003-4 with 950s. 23.98 cards were added to the ccu's around 2005-6.

I haven't played with a 1500 camera that wasn't attached to a CCU-900, as it is interchangable, so i'm not sure about the 720p output there.

I have not seen the 720p output.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can tell you with certainty that motorolasucks is correct. Might not sound like it would be correct, but that facility is a 1080i facility. As long as the program is delivered in 720p for playout, it isn't impossible to be originally done in 1080i.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD /forum/post/18026150

I can't remember which ABC soap was doing skip field to try to emulate 30p, but IMO it was some of the worst video around. It was heavily enhanced with thick edges, and the field resolution caused lots of artifacts, not to mention vertically soft. It was too bright with visible clipping. I just don't know how they could have made it look much worse. The good thing is the enhancement issue is usually resolved when going to HD with the desire to not show too much detail of the actors.

It was All My Children that added an effect to the SD video to make it look like film.

I believe the effect was done when recording and not in post production.

According to Wiki they started using the FilmLook effect in 2006.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts