AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm in the construction phase of a basement remodel with plans to convert the largest room to a sort of den/theater/gaming room. The dimensions are 7' h x 16' length x 12' w. I can control the lighting pretty well and plan to do a projector and 5.1 wall-mounted speakers.
My big questions are regarding the electronics. I feel like there are so many options out there that I'm not really sure where to start. I'm looking to do some gaming, but don't currently have a system. I kinda figured a used PS3 that could play PS1 and 2 games would be a good way to get a BR player and games. I have a library of movies on an HD and was planning to do some sort of HTPC running Kodi, but I have absolutely no experience with any of that. I'm planning on a projector so I'd need some sort of system to take our cable input and get it to an HDMI for the projector. I have a chromecast if that helps. We have a second TV in another room, and in an ideal world I'd love to host media in this system that can be streamed to the other TV easily. I have run my cable and ethernet to the location for my system, but that is about as far as I've gotten. So feel free to throw ideas at me. My big goals here are:
-user friendly (I have two kids and a wife who are not tech-savvy)
-cheap (or at least able to phase in more expensive components). I don't have a set budget, but I can't install a $10k system for sure. Maybe $2000-3000 for projector (

·
Registered
595 Posts
HI, If i had the money I would run and get the EPSON 5030, it seems to be a great projector for movies, and games. Now you also need to consider a quality screen. Based on my understanding, the screen can change a lot your final output. I would rather spend the extra bucks on the screen and start with an average audio. Fry's and Newegg have decent sales for audio stuff. I did entry level Klipsch (synergy) and I am please with it.
Receiver is also what you need to look for. I've read a lot of good review on the Sony 1050 within the middle range price. I saw it just below 400$ on sale recently.
HTPC, I've built a few for myself and friends, if you can do it yourself you will save some $$$. I would suggest an i5 processor if you play games. If you have a Microcenter around you this is where you will find the best deal motherboard/cpu. I think my HTPC with quality parts was around 600$. I recently upgrade my video card which added 150$. I run KODI, it's a great front-end software, easy to control with your smartphone as well.
For all your cable need, don't go to the big store, just use [email protected] or M0noprice, they have quality product for cheap.
here if you want more info about my setup: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...ms/1968202-mediaroom-tight-budget-3000-a.html
Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI, If i had the money I would run and get the EPSON 5030, it seems to be a great projector for movies, and games. Now you also need to consider a quality screen. Based on my understanding, the screen can change a lot your final output. I would rather spend the extra bucks on the screen and start with an average audio. Fry's and Newegg have decent sales for audio stuff. I did entry level Klipsch (synergy) and I am please with it.
Receiver is also what you need to look for. I've read a lot of good review on the Sony 1050 within the middle range price. I saw it just below 400$ on sale recently.
HTPC, I've built a few for myself and friends, if you can do it yourself you will save some $$$. I would suggest an i5 processor if you play games. If you have a Microcenter around you this is where you will find the best deal motherboard/cpu. I think my HTPC with quality parts was around 600$. I recently upgrade my video card which added 150$. I run KODI, it's a great front-end software, easy to control with your smartphone as well.
Cheers!
That Epson looks nice, but it is about twice my budget, so I'm pretty sure it is out. Maybe it (or its descendants) down the line though...
I'll probably make due with the low end receiver I already have for the time being.
There is a Microcenter around 1 1/2 hours away (never been there), but I assumed I'd do internet ordering of parts/system. Is there any reason that something like the Intel NUC wouldn't work for basic gaming/movie watching?
Thanks for the suggestions though!
This is going to be home theater 1.0. Whatever I do now will change I'm sure.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That Epson looks nice, but it is about twice my budget, so I'm pretty sure it is out. Maybe it (or its descendants) down the line though...
I'll probably make due with the low end receiver I already have for the time being.
There is a Microcenter around 1 1/2 hours away (never been there), but I assumed I'd do internet ordering of parts/system. Is there any reason that something like the Intel NUC wouldn't work for basic gaming/movie watching?
Thanks for the suggestions though!
This is going to be home theater 1.0. Whatever I do now will change I'm sure.
A NUC will limit you in term of overall performance, especially in graphic for games. If you dont care for high resolution you are fine with a NUC, but if you want some decent graphic and perf, you definitively need a dedicated PC/HTPC build. Microcenter combo deals on Motherboard and CPU is only "in store" :-(
NUC would be enough for video, you dont need much power for movies. If you need help for PC/HTPC build, shoot me a message with your requirements and budget, i can give you some suggestions.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
So I'm in the construction phase of a basement remodel with plans to convert the largest room to a sort of den/theater/gaming room. The dimensions are 7' h x 16' length x 12' w. I can control the lighting pretty well and plan to do a projector and 5.1 wall-mounted speakers.
My big questions are regarding the electronics. I feel like there are so many options out there that I'm not really sure where to start. I'm looking to do some gaming, but don't currently have a system. I kinda figured a used PS3 that could play PS1 and 2 games would be a good way to get a BR player and games. I have a library of movies on an HD and was planning to do some sort of HTPC running Kodi, but I have absolutely no experience with any of that. I'm planning on a projector so I'd need some sort of system to take our cable input and get it to an HDMI for the projector. I have a chromecast if that helps. We have a second TV in another room, and in an ideal world I'd love to host media in this system that can be streamed to the other TV easily. I have run my cable and ethernet to the location for my system, but that is about as far as I've gotten. So feel free to throw ideas at me. My big goals here are:
-user friendly (I have two kids and a wife who are not tech-savvy)
-cheap (or at least able to phase in more expensive components). I don't have a set budget, but I can't install a $10k system for sure. Maybe $2000-3000 for projector (

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which wall do you want the screen on ? 16' wall or 12' wall ? What size screen do you want ? The Benq W1070 is excellent for gaming (low lag times), has the most accurate color and brightness combination of anything under $2000. For $650, there is nothing not to like about it. It can fill a 130" screen on the 16' wall since you will have slightly less than 11' throw, or on the 12' wall it could fill a 150" screen if you built a DIY spandex acoustically transparent screen ($150) with your speakers behind it.
Sorry, I should have stated that. I will be projecting on the 12' wall. The screen should be approx 100" diagonal. I'll update the description accordingly. Spandex screen was exactly what I had in mind. I saw a rec in another thread touting the Benq. Somewhere else I read about reliability issues with Benq projectors in general. Anyone have any concerns there?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sorry, I should have stated that. I will be projecting on the 12' wall. The screen should be approx 100" diagonal. I'll update the description accordingly. Spandex screen was exactly what I had in mind. I saw a rec in another thread touting the Benq. Somewhere else I read about reliability issues with Benq projectors in general. Anyone have any concerns there?
Honestly, as an owner for the last 6 months of the W1070, I read every thread about it and I can't recall any real reliability issues that do not amount to initial defects. By that, I mean that a FEW people have have had lamp failures or HDMI port failures within weeks of receiving the projector, but few people have had issues that were not easy warranty returns. The only other issue is when people try to get every last hour out of the lamp, rather than replacing it when it gets noticeably dimmer, the lamps tend to pop rather than dieing gracefully. That is something I do see as a problem, because when a lamp pops it can throw broken glass inside the projector and jam in one or more fans.

I know the above sounds bad, but I would honestly rather deal with Benq on a warranty issue than Sony or Panasonic or Epson, and the initial defect numbers are no higher with Benq than those other brands as far as I can tell. And I always replace lamps when brightness falls off so I hope to dodge the popping lamp issue too. The Benq lamp is supposed to last 6500 hours in smart-eco lamp mode, so I figure I'll replace it at 5000 hours. You'll have to decide for yourself how long you think it will take you to rack up that many hours.

I would rethink the 100" screen, if I were you. I've been using a projector as my main TV for 15 years now and using my 122" screen from 11' viewing distance. I will soon be going BIGGER.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, as an owner for the last 6 months of the W1070, I read every thread about it and I can't recall any real reliability issues that do not amount to initial defects. By that, I mean that a FEW people have have had lamp failures or HDMI port failures within weeks of receiving the projector, but few people have had issues that were not easy warranty returns.
I would rethink the 100" screen, if I were you. I've been using a projector as my main TV for 15 years now and using my 122" screen from 11' viewing distance. I will soon be going BIGGER.
Cool, as I get closer to that phase I'll start looking for the W1070. I probably can't go bigger than 100" as it is the limitations of my room. I'll post a pic as soon as possible, but there just really isn't any other option on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts