AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happend across this tidbit an Keohi's HD website. I know I've read about a lot of people drilling SVHS tapes for DVHS recording, but this is a more direct approach and permanent.

Check it out here .

Troy

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Troy,

I have been using SVHS for HD recordings for some time now. At first I drilled the holes but I decided the best way is to just push the DVHS button after inserting a SVHS tape. I would not cut off the little plastic piece as mentioned on the Keohi site because that probably voids your warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
so all you do is insert an SVHS tape, then select DVHS and the JVC deck thinks it is DVHS without any modifications?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
push the button or just use a soldering iron, that way you can control shards. also the tape is in a separate compartment from the area you melt or drill into. With melting you can almost guarantee nothing would get in the the hole you made that could fall back out into the dvhs mechanism and the tape is protected/separated from anything that mite fall into the hole while in the process of making it, but with melting i don;t see this as a problem/likely possiblity as i said

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Will using S-VHS tape for HD recording harm the JVC-3K D-VCR's in anyway ?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i don;t think so, many here record hd on to svhs tape..

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I don't know if it's accurate or not (maybe just a way of selling D-VHS tapes), but in the refurbished JVC 3K that I just received from Ecost, there was a yellow piece of paper with a big ANNOUNCEMENT on it. The first bullet says:

- Do not use S-VHS casette to record program in D-VHS mose. D-VHS recordings made on S-VHS casette may cause block noise.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
that is wishful think on there part they just can't bring themselves to face the fact that many, including me, had that noise and those issues they are referring to on dvhs as offten as svhs, they wish that was teh problem.. but i have recorded hundreds of tapes to svhs on teh mits and now after i got a good deck from jvc over 50 on it using svhs and no problems at all. while it is possible on a very low quality svhs, that was not the cause of the problem imo.. if it was, there would have been no need for "the fix" and instead they would have just told people to use dvhs..

it was quite predictable they would try to blame the svhs atleast in part... :rolleyes: for what it is worth, i had far less problems better luck will pro grade svhs fuji tapes then out right dvhs - the dvhs tapes had more problems. so while tape quality seemed to possibly make teh situation worse -but dvhs was not necessarily better- i don't believe it was teh cuase and now that my deck is fixed, tape quality, type makes no difference what so ever. dvhs, svhs, they both work well...

The only problem i have had trouble with sinced the fix was some one pass tapes, but i expected that , and only use those to time shift in pinch when i don;t have a new tape on hand

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
We have been down this road before in prior threads. Keep in mind that these machines are promoted as being able to record composite and S-VHS signals. Logic dictates that using VHS or S-VHS tapes for HD will not damage the VCR.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Besides, if they want us to use DVHS tapes they need to offer all lengths here like DF-240, DF-360 and DF-480 and not just DF-300 and DF-420.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So has anyone had any problems to report after

continuing to use S-VHS tapes on units which have

been fixed? I have just sent my unit to JVC for the

upgrade. I don't know whether to follow their

suggestion to use only D-VHS tapes after it comes

back. I sent my unit for the upgrade because I

was having problems with different glitches on the

unit even though I started out using only D-VHS tapes.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i have always used svhs and now am having no problems after the fix..

good point mike

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I don't recall seeing anyone report any problems with a final fixed deck and most of those guys use S-VHS (myself included).

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have used S-VHS "drilled" with no problem. My procedure is to make a "template" on a piece of cardboard to locate the place to drill. I then open the shell and, while drilling, utilize a small shop vac nozzle to vacuum out the plastic drilled particles. Works every time. I prefer this method to having to "push a button" that I will probably forget to do. You drill once, but have to push the button each time you record.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
OK, this may be a bit off topic. I sent my 30K in for the first fix, but now I understand there is a second fix available.

If I am correct:

1. Should I send the unit to JVC a second time?

2. Do I need a RA number?

3. What is the cost?

I haven't experienced any problems yet, but should I send it in because it is only a matter of "when" and not "if"?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.