AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We the owners of Sharp 12K should get united and let Sharp know about the flicker problems that plagues their new PJs. How could this happens when all of the Sharp 10K suffers from the same flicker bug and you think they might have fixed the problem with release of Sharp 12K. My concern is not the bulb that causes the problem but it could be some other area that causes the bulb to flicker. My sharp 12k developed the flicker after only 120hrs of use and now lets hear other 12K owners tell us about theirs.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I thought I saw this once in High Bright mode while initially calibrating my 12K. I don't see it in HC mode, and recently switching back to High Bright, I did not see it. There was talk in one thread about power line conditioning improving this. Was that confirmed?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I didn't notice this either, but then I didn't get the unit up in hours that much. Anyone who is experiencing this issue please do post.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I experienced bulb flicker regularly on my 12K during the first 100 hours or so. Seemed to confine itself to the low-power bulb mode though with only a few flickers when the bulb was on high. It seems to have abated, however, with 130 hours on the bulb. Perhaps this is just a natural function of an aging bulb.

I remember reading that Marantz switched from an AC bulb to a DC bulb in order to minimize this problem. I wonder if it worked.

It's also possible that this is a power issue as Darrel mentioned. Projectors do draw a fair amount of power. I currently have only a Monster surge protector but have been investigating a power conditioning solution.

So many damn variables.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I returned my Sharp 12K because of the flicker. Mine flickered form the minute I turned it on. You could make it go away for a while by switching economy mode on or off.

Roman

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
No flicker on mine. It is on a dedicated circuit.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I would guess the flicker is the same as I had on my Sony VW10HT projector. After a few hundred hours on the bulb the flicker started. It was quite annoying. Sometimes it lasted only a few minutes and then cleared up. Other times, I had to switch to a different brightness mode. If I was in "cinema black" I would switch it off. It would clear up. Or if I was off cinema black and flickered, I would switch it on. It would clear up. For a while I had to do this every time I turned it on. I thought at the time that it was a sign that the bulb was weakening and would soon die. But that was not the case. The flicker problem only lasted a while. I can't remember exactly when it stopped -- probably several hundred hours.

Anyway, this leads me to believe that the flicker problem is a LAMP issue and not a projector issue. Maybe these type of lamps have these unstable periods of flickering. Can any body else confirm this?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind
I experienced bulb flicker regularly on my 12K during the first 100 hours or so. Seemed to confine itself to the low-power bulb mode though with only a few flickers when the bulb was on high. It seems to have abated, however, with 130 hours on the bulb. Perhaps this is just a natural function of an aging bulb.

I remember reading that Marantz switched from an AC bulb to a DC bulb in order to minimize this problem. I wonder if it worked.

It's also possible that this is a power issue as Darrel mentioned. Projectors do draw a fair amount of power. I currently have only a Monster surge protector but have been investigating a power conditioning solution.

So many damn variables.
Are you kidding me 130hrs on bulb is a aging bulb. I have a separate AC line only for PJ from the fuse box plus a respected line conditioner.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by ricwhite
So, what does Sharp say is causing this problem?
I called the toll free# and this woman had no idea what I was talking about.She didn,t know Sharp was selling pjs too,but she give me a number and someone would call me back. No one called from Sharp as yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have had no problem with flicker so far, but I have only 17 hours on the the bulb on my 12K. Never had a problem with my 10HT. I wonder if it is a power line issue -- or just bad luck with poor bulbs. Doesn't sound like a particular projector issue.

It would be nice if someone would develop a better bulb that doesn't have these problems and doesn't dim so quickly with use. They are using Xenon bulbs on the Qualia. I wonder how these fare?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Soccerdude
Are you kidding me 130hrs on bulb is a aging bulb. I have a separate AC line only for PJ from the fuse box plus a respected line conditioner.
The instant you start using the bulb, it's aging. I didn't mean the bulb was old at 130 hours.

What line conditioner do you have?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind
The instant you start using the bulb, it's aging. I didn't mean the bulb was old at 130 hours.

What line conditioner do you have?
I am using Exact Power LC.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does anyone with a line conditioner have the flicker? So far, it seems like the answer is no. If you have a flicker, why not go get a line conditioner? You're talking about $200-$300 against the $10K or so you spent on the projector. If it doesn't fix the problem, please post and let the rest of us know.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hope I'm not jinxing myself. I have approx. 70 hours on mine with no flicker. I'm using a Monster Cable HTS 2500 line conditioner/surge protector with mine on a circuit dedicated to my Theater.

Bomber

·
Registered
83 Posts
Darrel,

That's my point, exactly. I have seen countless posts of people complaining of a flicker, and everyone keeps asking, "Will a line conditioner fix it?" It seems that no one can confirm that a line conditioner fixes the problem, because no one with the problem seems willing to try this simple solution! Just try it, folks. If it doesn't work, then we can proceed from there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.