AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone who is just now considering going with a projector system, i beg of you all one of two things, either pleae give me whole lots of definitions for all the acronyms im seeing here, or point me to a page/link (i havent looked alot yet on this subject) where i can at least learn the verbiage , not only knowing what they stand for, but a begining of how they all relate to each other.

Thanks~!

------------------

Rama

"He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church "c> - Joe Strummer, The Clash

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Rama,

Welcome to the forum. I agree that there are a lot of terms surrounding this hobby/passion. I understand that can be a little frustrating at first.

I don't know of a formal link to definitions on the forum. Perhaps you could just start a cut and paste list that you later add to a post here. Then we can all take a crack at it and see if that helps you get started.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html has a link to the DVD player benchmark and at the bottom of that page PART 5

helps with the "you did what to my dvd movie!" stuff.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

------------------

plug in to play

[This message has been edited by jamin (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
459 Posts
not too be a stickler...but we really aren't talking about acronyms. An acronym is a PRONOUNCABLE abbreviation.

An example of an acronym would be SWAT. Strategic Weapons and Tactical.

FBI, CIA, LCD, DLP, etc are actually called Abbrevonyms.

An English prof in college busted me on this...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acaciolo:
An example of an acronym would be SWAT. Strategic Weapons and Tactical.
Not really a biggie, but as we are nit picking any way: SWAT = Special Weapons And Tactics.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Finally all those hours of playing the computer game SWAT in the old days came to some use:)

Regards

Goran

·
Registered
412 Posts
So now we better get our posts proofed by English professors before submitting?

Not be a stickler, but you ARE being a stickler! Sorry but I thought the point of this forum was to learn and share experience about home theater, not to correct grammar.

Do you NO what I'm saying? (I just want to see if you can let that one slip! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
459 Posts
actually, I was waiting about 10 years to tell someone about the differnce between the 2. I got busted on it...so I wanted to pass it on.

whew, glad I got that load off my shoulders.

And believe me, I am just a home builder and home theater installer. my inglish ain't that goodd.

tony www.monogramcustomhomes.com

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
We could also say that we deal with alot of TLA's and ETLA's.

Three Letter Acronyms and

Extended Three Letter Acronyms

But i now know that these must be changed to Abbrevonyms. Luckily the Abbrevonym does not change. I would hate to have to learn alot of new Abbrevonyms.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Don't forget your backronyms as well..

------------------

/frode

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.