AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note, this is not a 'vs' thread I'm wanting to start, this is a 'I'm trying to decide what to do' type of thing.

A little background on my setup is in order I think. I currently have:

Sony Wega 36" TV (Original Wega, FS1)

Sony TA-E9000ES/N Pre-Amp/Amp Combination

Sony S7700 DVD Player

Klipsch Reference Speakers/15" Sub.

We bought our house in July, and it has a room that is now becoming the 'Theater Room' and is 12' wide by 24' long. The TV is against the 12' wall, the opposite 12' wall has a door.

I want a 16x9 TV. The requirement from the wife was 'buy me a house', so I've met the requirement. For a long time however, I've been lusting after the Sony 65" 1080i XBR TV. But, as I was buying the furnishings for my HT I discovered something.

Dang, that sucker is big. So I started thinking about the Sony VH10T LCD Projector. I really like the specifications, and I've seen a few members of the AVS Forum and HomeTheaterForum's setups and it looks promising.

However, I don't want to say 'Cost isn't an issue', it is. I mean I don't want to buy the VH10T and then discover I need $5000 worth of line doublers, or other things to make it look half as good as the $6000 RPTV, but if I can buy the VH10T & Screen with masks for around $10K I'm not going tob uy the RPTV based on that. Does that make sense?

My major concern is that I'd have to get a 65" Projection screen up the stairs. As I'm sure many of you are aware, most stairs in homes are desinged to not let you move anything big up them. Meaning my stairs have the nice 90 degree turn at the base, and i'm wondering how I could get a RPTV up the stairs (better yet, down when we move years from now). Getting the 220lb Sony Wega up those stairs was quite the workout. But, I also want BIG SCREEN (hehe).

Are there any constructive suggestions? Would one vs. the other be helpful?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this, but I was having trouble deciding where this should go.

Thank you

Tom Boucher

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Trekkie,

If you want maximum impact, there's no other choice than FPTV.

There are several advantages to digital projectors...

1) They are small and portable.

2) They don't dominate a room as much as an RPTV will.

3) The available screen sizes are way bigger than an RPTV.

The downsides to digital projectors:

1) They require at least some light control, the more the better, to produce the best possible image.

2) The screen cost, depdendent on which way you go could be very very expensive.

3) Replacement bulb costs can be very expensive, and you get a lifetime of 1000-2000 hours on most bulbs.

There are other numerous upsides/downsides to each, this is just a starting point for you.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Well, I chose FPTV after seeing the Sharp 9000. The image quality was so outstandingly good at a large size that I couldn't resist. Even though it has required significant work in relocating all my equipment and designing light control measures for my room.

That being said, if you decide to pursue RPTV, have a look at the Mitsubishi sets. To my eye, the picture is better than on the Sony, and they have the nice feature of being able to be disassembled into two pieces for easier navigation through doors and stairways (basically, the top and bottom half separate). This feature is, I think, only on their 65" models and larger, but that's the size you mentioned anyway.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches

2) The screen cost, depdendent on which way you go could be very very expensive.
john's summary covered it very well!

just one note on screen costs - while the sky is the limit, with the Sony 10HT you can get the DaLite 92 x 52 HiPower screen for around $300 w/ great results.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I endorse the comments about the LCD projectors - also I'll note that if you demand video quality either the Sony RPTV or the current crop of 1080i-capable XBR Wega's are not very good choices. The internal line doublers on these sets, which Sony refers to as "DRC" circuits, have annoyingly visible artifacts, including the worst case of "crawlies" I've ever seen. I'm a long time Sony fan, and current owner of an analog Wega, so this is not any brand bias speaking. But the VPL-VW10HT or the newer VPL-VW11HT would be pretty far down on my list of digital projectors. The reason for this is there is no way to bypass the internal video scaling and get really good quality, artifact-free video.

My reccomendation would be to go for an inexpensive business presentation-grade LCD projector, and drive it with a HTPC (Home Theater PC) via the VGA input. For about the same money as the Sony LCDs, much better video than from your present DVD player and a Sony projector. The difference is not subtle - the HTPC picture is a knock-out, and it can be tuned to the exact "pixel perfection" or "sweet spot" for almost all projectors, excepting the Sony 16X9's.

Both the NEC LT-150 and the NEC VT-540 I use are popular choices under $3000, as are several other projectors discussed in this Forum. For about $4500-$5000 there are frequently used JVC DiLA projectors available, even better video quality. Lastly, there are decent used triple-CRT projectors in your price range, which have unique advantages all their own. Do your homework first, and decide what best meets your needs - this and the CRT and HTPC Forums are great resources.

Gary

·
Registered
148 Posts
Now that FP prices have come down, and the quality of digital FP units have gone up...if you have the room (which you do) and some way of controlling the light in that same room....FPTV is the way to go.

I bought a top of the line 53" Sony XBR about 4 years ago, and thought "This is it, it's big enough as my video display device and would last me 6 to 7 years" - DOH! DTV's come in and I see HDTV for the first time when it came out and cannot believe the quality and detail. I had to wait for the HDTV standards to settle down (I don't think it's that settled yet) and saw that prices have come way down from about 2 years ago and also HDTV sets are still too expensive for what you get with the screen size and that big box you have to deal with. I know what you mean with getting those sets up on the upper floor. Anyway, to make a long story short, I did my research and fortunately found this forum and some other HT sites and forums and ended up with -

Studio Experience 13HD (Sanyo PLV60HT clone)

110" Stewart Screen with Grayhawk material

Sony DVP-NS700P progressive scan player

Sony HD100 HD Tuner

I can say that I now really have a Home Theater setup without the bulk and the limited screen size I've had with RPTVs. Will I buy another RPTV in the future? The answer is NO.

Enjoy the journey and the experience setting up your HT...It will be a lot of fun and tons of hard work (I should say labor of love) as well!!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is this a trick question? Gotta go with the Front projector!!!

I was concerned about front projection as well. Now that I have done it (Plus UP-1100), I can't believe it took me so long. As has been said many times before, its the difference between watching a movie vs a movie on TV.

My wife thought I was nuts buying a projector, until I put in the first DVD, then she says "This is really great!" Now she invites all our friends over to watch movies on "our cool little projector".

Keep your 36" Wega for sitcoms and game shows, and get a projector for watching movies. The best of both worlds.

Be sure to demo as many projectors as you can before you buy.

Have fun, Reed.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Go with the Projector. The image problem you mention is not because Projectors have crappy images, but because you are blowing up that image a lot (think about it the RPTV has an image of 65" if the Projector has an image of 130 (=2* 65) then you are actually making the image 4 times bigger (in area).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.