AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you all still regularly go to the movies? I personally see -maybe- 1 movie a year. I saw the new Star Wars movie (the last one I went to) and before that Titanic when it was released. That's about it.

I find my own home theater is better than the movies (WAY better in sound, and almost as good in picture, plus convenience and lack of teeny-bopper kids yapping during the movie...) so I just feel no need to go!

I watch probably around 1-2 movies per week at home and ~1/YEAR at the theaters. What is your numbers?

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ditto...

2 per week at home. Last one in theaters was Titanic. Last before that was ...???

------------------

Perry
www.woodht.homestead.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
I guess I'll buck the trend here.

I see 1 to 2 movies a month in a theater (we've got some good, new ones here) and probably 2 per week at home. I still enjoy the experience of seeing a good film on a big screen although I did almost have to choke the life out of the "talker" that was sitting next to me at "Pearl Harbor" yesterday...

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have to admit I still go. However, it is almost always for a movie I can't wait for to come out on dvd. I have been waiting for Pearl Harbor to be released for some time. The movie met my expectations but didn't exceed them. I agree with mostly everyone here at avs: the effects were very impressive yet the script was lacking. I still felt like I got my money's worth though.

Part of the reason I still go is because I live in New Orleans in the uptown area. I am only a few blocks from an older movie house called Prytania theater (only one screen). It was made in the early 1900's. It isn't as ornate as most older movie houses but I love it nonetheless. The audio is extremely well done and blows away the local megaplexs. The Palace and some others can't even come close. Video-wise it is very good but not great. I have seen better. The nostalgia of the Prytania is what keeps me coming back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd have to say at least 2 to 3 times per month if there is something worth watching. For me the theatre experience is still my favourite way of watching movies. We have a new high tech and very comfortable theatre here with enormous screens and excellent sound. Although I project my image at 11 ft. wide it's just not the same for me (although it's very close). You can't ignore the involvement of the audience (incognizant members not withstanding), it adds another dimension to the experience as if to heighten the thrill. For me it's all part of the adventure and a cheap night out! Your results may vary. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Regards

GMan

·
Registered
115 Posts
since I am just now getting into front projection, my movie theater days are not quite yet at an end... but I am working on it.... where I am living now has terrible movie theaters (30 year old places with crappy seats, terrible picture and sound).....thus it has inhibited my desire to go... I think I have gone three times in the last six months, twice to the same movie because one group of friends hadn't seen it so I went again (Bridget Jone's Diary... which was hilarious btw)....my restraint is quite an accomplishment given that I am a movie fanatic and we would go to virtually every hollywood release no matter how terrible... I simply couldn't wait for anything to come out on video.... an 8 foot wide screen at home is slowly curing me of that!!

as to the other question, average is at least 5-7 movies per week at home over the last six months (slowly making it through the DVD collection)... if we are counting parts of movies watched to show off to friends that come to visit, then it is a lot more than 5-7.... watched a total of 10 DVDs this weekend alone since friday night... would have been more but had to watch the Indy 500 and coca cola 600....man I love being lazy on this long weekend....if you lock yourself in the theater room, you would be amazed how easy it is to forget about all the chores and errands that need to be run.....or better yet, how easy it is to forget about the world entirely outside your theater room....

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
860 Posts
I usually go to the movies once every week, to once per two weeks. It tends to be more of a social gathering place for myself and my friends. ALl of my peer group have DVD's but I am the lucky one with the FP. However, my Home Theatre is not yet done, and until then, I cannot quite host parties to my liking.

DVD's I watch about one to twice a week. (I DO get withdrawal if I haven't watched one DVD per week though as my girlfriend can attest!)

Check my website, and my teeny tiny forum if you are curious as to my progress...

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

·
Registered
94 Posts
The last movie I saw in the theater was Titanic.

Just don't like chips crunching all around.

We are watching 1-3 movies per week in our Home Theater.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I see maybe 1 movie a year at the theater and I average 2 - 4 movies per week on my CRT system. I am a collector so my LD/DVD's are so big now I have built a special room for storage.

My sound and vision eats any multiplex and is only lacking in vision compared to the very best theaters in the country.

I can wait for a movie to come out on Dvd because I tend to watch a good movie twice on my first viewing at home where I feel cheated at the theater by not getting that option.

I still remember doing this at the theaters many years ago when they would let you watch as many times as you would like (or could stand).

DavidW

·
Registered
531 Posts
I usually go once a week or every two weeks. More of a ‘tradition’ than anything else. However, we tend to go to the earliest showing or during the middle of the week to avoid the crowds. Pearl Harbor will have to wait a week or two.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
We have some pretty awsome theaters here with Stadium seating and extreme sound systems. One of them is just down he street 2 blocks away, so I walk down and see movies there no matter what is playing. The others are at Downtown Disney, just 5 minutes by car and they have a digital (TI DLP) theater there. because of this, I guess I go to 1-2 per week in the theaters - whatever the new releases are. Then I choose which of these to purchase DVD on based on what I see at the theater. Probably watch 2-3 a week at home. I'm one sick movie dude I guess.

ken

·
Registered
602 Posts
I usually go about once a month it depends on what is being released. When I get my new theater finished I probably wont go unless it is something special that I don't want to wait for.

Earl

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am pretty much done going to movies unless it's one that's REALLY high on my list.

Here are the last movies I've went to:

Hannibal

The Sixth Day

End of Days

The Matrix

TPM

----

I used to go to ohh, I'd say once every 45 days. Next movie I'll go to is LOTR, maybe Planet of the Apes and Collateral Damage. I'm an Arnold mark, so I go to most of his movies though I skipper Batman.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Titanic (video and audio sucked)

Jurasic Park (enjoyed, but was pre-FP)

Before that?

1-3 movies per week and lots of other great video in our home theater!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You're correct that we don't go to the movies as

often as before the home theater.

The home theater experience is much better than the

commercial theaters. You set your own timetable, you

don't have to sit through previews. You can pause the

movie if you need to use the restroom.

The sound is much, much better than the commercial

theaters. When I get the new projector set up - I

trust the picture will be better too. The seats are

more comfortable.

The last movie I saw in a theater was "Chocolat".

Greg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.