AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a set of Allison one tower speakers each speaker has 2 woofers 2 tweeters and two midranges. The original hand written serial numbers are still on the back of them. The woofers have been replaced but everything else is original. How do i tell if it was made in 1978 or 1982. Also does anyone have a clue on the value of these speakers

Thank you so much for your help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your drivers have the external connections, so they are early versions, probably before 1980. The early versions of the system also have a single three-position level control on the back, whereas later versions have two paddle switches: one for the tweeters and one for the mids. This gives the owner four response-curve contour options instead of just three.

If you pull any driver you should find a date stamped on the magnet that will at least tell you when the driver was made. However, great care should be used when disconnecting those front connector wires.

I hope those replacement woofers work OK. Actually, it probably would have been best to just install replacement foam kits in the originals.

I have no idea what they are worth, but some buffs would jump at the chance to purchase a used pair, if only to use them as parts mules for spare drivers.. Note that proper placement should be along a flat wall, at least two feet out from the corner. They do not perform at their best when all the way into a corner.

The Model One was not a tight-imaging speaker, but few speakers, ever, were better at simulating a spacious live-music-style sound stage with acoustic-instrument music.

Howard Ferstler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts