AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allman Almost

864 views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Shaded Dogfood 
their 1970 appearance at the Atlanta Pop Festival is now on CD

I was there! When I think of all the appearances in the Atlanta vicinity they were at that I passed at seeing because I had seen them so many times, I kick myself. Having this come out is like some amazing gift from out of the sky.

Now if the Hendrix family will release Jimi's Atlanta Pop Festival appearance including his jam five hours or so later with Johnny Jenkins (it had to be him up there in that purple spotlight!).

Procol Harum did a great set there too, ditto It's a Beautiful Day and the legendary Hampton Grease Band.

They're still amusing, but I'm sort of on BeckWails' wavelength. Though their massive popularity (they were the #1 American band for a while in the early seventies) came after Duane's death, they have never been the same since his demise. His vision was a Jazz-Blues band from another dimension, not the goofy Southern Rock band they later became.

I count myself lucky to have seen them with Duane a half-dozen times or more. Rolling Stone rated him #2 after you-know-who in their list of 100 top guitarists, and for once they weren't just being their usual fill of snit selves.

ALIENS:

I did inhale. Had I inhaled less, I doubtless would have remembered more.

lonwolf615:

At first I thought "The Allmans with the Dead in Atlanta?" Still, as I think back, it does seem that they may have opened for the Dead at one concert, though this may have been when Duane was down in Miami with Clapton recording Layla, and so it would have been with only Dickey. I have long heard of tapes of the two bands jamming, so maybe these may surface as the years go by. So much good old stuff from the vaults are appearing now... I know old geezers have always said that the music isn't what it used to be, but it isn't.

As far as the CD The Allman Brothers Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival goes, it won't make you forget Fillmore East. But if you love hearing Duane Playing, you should go for it. I've listened to the first CD, and the sound is good. The performance is spirited but not as precise as Fillmore East. The jams, however, are fabulous, and are worth the price by themselves. More relections as I hear more of it.

The little souvenir booklet sure took me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.